VIDEO: SE loop types, pros and cons + backcombing tension.

Forum rules
1) Clearly label your title
2) Add 'VID' to your title is there is a video/ Youtube link
That is it- easy peasy!
rivetlicker_

VIDEO: SE loop types, pros and cons + backcombing tension.

Post by rivetlicker_ » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:18 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T6824FXbHY

Because sometimes loops annoy me. I also cover tension for backcombing briefly too.
I go through personal pros & cons for different methods for making the loops.
Really long vid, 23 minutes. Yeah, taking advantage of YouTube allowing me to upload long vids :P

dread_addiction

Re: VIDEO: SE loop types, pros and cons + backcombing tension.

Post by dread_addiction » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:19 pm

awsome tutorial..
i do mine like yours but on a hanger ..never tried any other way.
i once helped a friend reseal some dreads.. she send me the dreads with that weird knot and i could barely find the loop to mount it on my hanger quite annoying to tell you the truth..

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:08 pm

I recieved dreads with huuuuge loops done with the elastic method -_- All I can think is to put even MORE elastics on, higher up, to make the loops small enough to be useable >.> Do you think that would work or is there maybe a better way to fix them? I can't bring myself to just not use them
"Distant beavers sound the alarm"

"Its not stylish if you look witty."

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:48 pm

poxabomination wrote:I recieved dreads with huuuuge loops done with the elastic method -_- All I can think is to put even MORE elastics on, higher up, to make the loops small enough to be useable >.> Do you think that would work or is there maybe a better way to fix them? I can't bring myself to just not use them
I've tried that. It's err umm, difficult. The elastic can get matted into the hair >_<

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:15 am

ahhh gahd. Do you know any tricks or is it a lost cause? I tried putting them on elastic as a fall but they're so floppy they just fall to the sides of the bun even though theres 45 of them... well 44 cause I'm gonna throw one out, haha. I guess I can try layering them on a second strip of elastic and pinning them down :/ I am disappoint. I guess I'm kind of biased cause I got my first dreads from ikickshins and they were phenomenal, haha. I'll have to figure out some way to make them smaller; if I find something amazing I'll let you know XD

SweetJunkieGirl

Post by SweetJunkieGirl » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:46 am

Maybe you could take off the elastic and put the dread on a hanger or something to preserve the loop, then try to kinda boost the backcombing up to the loop? A quick seal and you're done! :i2:

Personally I always use a hair tie starting out on SEs to keep them on the hanger, I lose a lot less hair that way. Once I have a big poofy mess though I take the elastic off, put it back on the hanger and push the mess up to the top. It works pretty well for getting the taper nice too! :D

Most excellent video as ever, Rivetlicker, you've literally taught me all I know! :lol:

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:06 am

LOL, thanks.

^Yeah, I agree with that method. It could work :)

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:06 pm

sounds like a plan, I'll have to try it. I want to try backcombing them all again and resealing them but I'm afraid it will mess up the swirl. :/ I think it might just be a lost cause which really sucks, but oh well. At least it gives me something to compare mine too.. haha inspiration to backcomb!

Yordan

Post by Yordan » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:42 pm

I love this tutorial, my dreads have turned out so much better since using it. Thanks rivet licker!
I think it's just abuot getting used to holding the hair firmly but not too firmly, and backcombing enough at the top to hold it still while the rest is back combed.
Why should I wake when I'm half past dead?

Return to “Extended Dreadlocks”