New Dreadlock Tutorial - No Sealing Involved!!

Forum rules
1) Clearly label your title
2) Add 'VID' to your title is there is a video/ Youtube link
That is it- easy peasy!
doclocks
Site Admin

New Dreadlock Tutorial - No Sealing Involved!!

Post by doclocks » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:21 pm

Here's the link:

http://www.doctoredlocks.com/store/tut_ ... locks.html

I recomend 7-9 bags of kanekalon jumbo for a full head (being roughly 45 larger thickness dreadlocks). :)
Doctored Locks :)
Sophisticated supplies for hair extension architects.
Hair extensions, installation supplies, 300+ free DIY tutorials, classes and installations.

shifuku

Re: New Dreadlock Tutorial - No Sealing Involved!!

Post by shifuku » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:52 pm

I know I already posted about this in the fakehair community.
But I just think it's wrong to not give credit where it's due.

http://community.livejournal.com/fakehair/3917866.html

doclocks
Site Admin

Post by doclocks » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:52 am

First and foremost - No disrespect intended. Ellis Seven's dreads are amazing. Her work is gorgeous and she deserves tons of money and prosperity.

Second - I'm not selling these. It's a tutorial. AND I have no idea how she makes hers.

If you want to get into crediting wars, I can't think of anyone who was doing transitional dreads before I was - Divaluxe didn't even know how. :lol: I have always shared my methods freely. This is a community. We all find inspiration and ideas here.

I'm sorry if this has offended anyone. It certainly wasn't meant to. I was excited to see these dreadlocks actually turning out well. I've got several attached to my head right now. Just wanted to share.
Hair extensions, installation supplies, 300+ free DIY tutorials, classes and installations.

ANNloses

Post by ANNloses » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:20 am

I was going to post here or email you to warn you about eminent drama, but I'm too late lol.
Thanks for the tutorial, I actually just had "figured it out" in my mind how she made them, a few nights ago!

The 13th Gypsy

Post by The 13th Gypsy » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:22 am

Yeah, they're really not that hard to figure out, and I've already seen others doing them. Maybe it would have been polite to acknowledge that they were derived from someone else's method, but I don't think it is necessary. Most everyone in the hair community already knows the origin, anyway. Actually, I'm pretty sure I saw this method used on a French site over two years ago that I lost track of and have never been able to find again.

In the crafting community it's almost a given that once an idea is out there it's going to be copied. The only way to assure it won't be is to never show it to anyone.

doclocks
Site Admin

Post by doclocks » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:01 pm

Ugh...

I do feel rotten about this in some way though. I certainly didn't set out to copy anyone's method - its the style I thought was pretty. The braid at the end is more common sense than anything. If you have hair wrapped around a core in both directions, it can't be sealed by twisting.

I have updated the description on the last page of the tutorial to include a link to LS_Seven's myspace page. She makes beautiful dreadlocks - and I don't intend to sell these. I hope this will direct more traffic to her.

I didn't credit her with making up that "style," and honestly I'm not sure that she did. I have seen a lot of styles that are very similar - even with human dreads being tightened with synthetics. I will say she has done them the most consistantly and has definately perfected her art in that style.

MissAnthropik

Post by MissAnthropik » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:36 pm

that sounds like an excellent solution, don't see how she could be upset about that, and as you say, you were just trying to help people by giving them another style. Even if you were inspired by her she wasn't making a tute and you wanted people to be able to have a go themselves.

We all take inspiration. After I first had dreads I thought "I wonder whether I could make these myself" and had a play, I don't consider I stole anyone else's idea, I figured it out on my own after all.

You can't see something you like and want to have and not try to make it just because it wasn't your idea.

I think linking to her seems like a good idea, mostly just cause she is the one most famous for doing this style even if others have done as well it hasn't been nearly so public, which I guess is why people feel this way.
telling it like it is!

OxiTrash

Post by OxiTrash » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:02 pm

oh this is very silly.. we all know we wanted hands on this tut! lol :i9:

but seriously. the method is pretty simple to understand.. braiding and wrapping.. we all know how to do this.. and anyone with a eye for making dreads would have figured it out.. I had to "the hard way" myself.. with out the lovely tut Doc posted.. and aren't we all here to learn from each other?

life is all about evolving.. same goes for hair styles.. in order to grow and get better at what we love we need fresh new ideas to help us along.. when that style is played out we get new ideas.. and share that idea with everyone in the hopes that something new and even better will come out of our heads..
*Oxi Trash*

OXI LOX dreads by Oxi

Wild.Rabbit.Ren

Post by Wild.Rabbit.Ren » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:23 pm

Nice tut

To be honest there not exacly the same as LS_Sevens dreads & the one youv done & hers have slight differences.

For starters ellisses are braided at the end & the docs arnt so affectively they are differant.
Last edited by Wild.Rabbit.Ren on Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shifuku

Post by shifuku » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:45 pm

Disclaimer: Not trying to start a war, a fight or be a dick. Not trying to be mean. Not trying to be elitist. Not trying to say that ideas shouldn't be copied. Stealing ideas is good. it is how culture develops. Not giving props or referencing your sources is plaguarism pure and simple
fronting.

By NOT citing sources you are implicitly saying your source is you.

Which is not just dishonourable, it also intereferes in the transfer of ideas and development of culture as much as things like Patents.

Dig?

And not to be rude, (I'm not trying to incite anger here or get hackles up) but I find the part where you said you were the first person to do transitionals EXTREMELY arrogant.
And very dead wrong.
I've been doing synth dreadlocks for 9 and a half years. (my 3rd set were transitionals that was back in 99 just in case anyone is wondering)
Been involved in the fakehair community for that long too and I saw trans WAYYYY before you came on the scene. (There's the same transitional tutorial on Kathryn Quinn's site that's been there for over a decade!) Again. No offence. I'm not trying to say you aren't awesome at what you do.
I've had my moments of arrogance as well and got the verbal smackdown for it. For which I am grateful as it's not a very desirable trait to have. Just my opinion though.

As said before, great tut.
Just needed some credit is all. And now it does. YAY.

And dreads done the pseudo ellis seven way can be sealed like normal dreads (without the braid) as my cousin and I did here in her first set of dreads:

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=614

She's still got them in. 6 weeks later. The ends are still perfectly intact.

shifuku

Post by shifuku » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:46 pm

ALSO! There was a girl named Sinnocence back in the day selling dread falls and such online in 98 I think. Pretty damn sure she had transitionals too.

Amb3r

Post by Amb3r » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:02 am

shifuku wrote:Disclaimer: Not trying to start a war, a fight or be a dick. Not trying to be mean. Not trying to be elitist. Not trying to say that ideas shouldn't be copied. Stealing ideas is good. it is how culture develops. Not giving props or referencing your sources is plaguarism pure and simple
fronting.

By NOT citing sources you are implicitly saying your source is you.

Which is not just dishonourable, it also intereferes in the transfer of ideas and development of culture as much as things like Patents.

Dig?

And not to be rude, (I'm not trying to incite anger here or get hackles up) but I find the part where you said you were the first person to do transitionals EXTREMELY arrogant.
And very dead wrong.
I've been doing synth dreadlocks for 9 and a half years. (my 3rd set were transitionals that was back in 99 just in case anyone is wondering)
Been involved in the fakehair community for that long too and I saw trans WAYYYY before you came on the scene. (There's the same transitional tutorial on Kathryn Quinn's site that's been there for over a decade!) Again. No offence. I'm not trying to say you aren't awesome at what you do.
I've had my moments of arrogance as well and got the verbal smackdown for it. For which I am grateful as it's not a very desirable trait to have. Just my opinion though.

As said before, great tut.
Just needed some credit is all. And now it does. YAY.

And dreads done the pseudo ellis seven way can be sealed like normal dreads (without the braid) as my cousin and I did here in her first set of dreads:

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=614

She's still got them in. 6 weeks later. The ends are still perfectly intact.

Meh..I just feel like you're instigating something that's already been resolved. =I
She credited her and that's what this whole thing was about. I've seen people with those dreads before I even heard about Ellis Seven. Coming from New York, I've seen hair styles like that before I even thought of making dreads myself. Perhaps that actually was someone who came up with that concept before her but since she's known in the community, it's labeled as her "original" idea. Unless you have concrete proof, no one claim that what they have done is absolutely 100% original.

All doclocks was trying to do was show a different way of making dreads. It's just a tutorial.

ANNloses

Post by ANNloses » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:02 am

Wtf ever. This would be like me asking for you to credit me to a tutorial of thicker dreads.

doclocks
Site Admin

Post by doclocks » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:55 am

Crazy! I was just talking to Sinnocence on LJ like a week ago. I'll go and ask Kitty if she remembers where they came from.
Been involved in the fakehair community for that long too and I saw trans WAYYYY before you came on the scene.
Yikes! Umkay...you win? Good lord, I think 9+ years of doing extension work is long enough that we both don't need to pull out our hair cock rulers do we? Srsly.

shifuku - There is a crediting thread started in the anarchy and controversy section. Since you have been around for so long, I'd encourage you to jump in. I'm sure you'd have a lot to add.
Not giving props or referencing your sources is plaguarism pure and simple fronting.
I was never trying to steal anything. I don't think anyone believes I "invented" that style. It's a tutorial. I didn't quote anything or cite anything. I'm not using her work or pictures of her work, therefore I don't think it counts as plagiarism - and frankly that's a bit harsh.

IKickShins

Post by IKickShins » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:58 am

lol at "hair cock rulers."

I have this mental image of penis extensions now. Multi-colored, penis extensions. :lol:
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

ANNloses

Post by ANNloses » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:03 am

Oh god, you've made it impossible for me NOT to make penises now.
*goes to look for the closest flesh-toned kk color*

Haylum

Post by Haylum » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:24 pm

At the risk of sounding anal I have to point out that you cannot plagiarise a physical creation. Plagiarism constitutes taking someone else's language or thoughts and passing them off as your own.

Doclocks has obviously figured out how to make this style of dreads - as Ellis Seven once did - completely by herself, which makes that tutorial 100% her own work. In this case her source is herself as she was not taught how to make these dreads.
Haggis McNoodle Synthetic Dreadlocks

Unmentioned Secret Lovechild of the Blue Army and Red Rebellion

LittlePinkFaery

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:30 pm

mkay- no need for any of this now- it is a wonderful tutorial- and we have made you a section to rant about 'who did what first'- go there and pour your heart out!

thanks for the tut!

Moody108

Post by Moody108 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:15 pm

ANNloses wrote:Oh god, you've made it impossible for me NOT to make penises now.
*goes to look for the closest flesh-toned kk color*

that would be so amazing! make a bell end instead of a tapered classic end then draw a line... i'm getting carried away now...
Never trust someone who's gonna live forever, they don't have enough to lose
Formerly known as kikky_lou

NaturalistDesigns

Post by NaturalistDesigns » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:42 pm

ikickshins wrote:lol at "hair cock rulers."

I have this mental image of penis extensions now. Multi-colored, penis extensions. :lol:
Don't give me ideas Sarah :lol: Great Idea for Ann Summers parties ladies!!

Anyway, Doc. I've been after a tutorial like this to make some personal dreads in yarn and roving so thank you for creating it and posting it :D

LittlePinkFaery

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:46 pm

would give a whole new perspective to the term 'dick head!'

deadteddys

Post by deadteddys » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:42 pm

littlepinkfaery wrote:would give a whole new perspective to the term 'dick head!'
AHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAahahahahaha! This made me laugh :D Ohh yes!

Wonderful tutorial doclocks!!! Love youu ^^

HeartlesSoul

Post by HeartlesSoul » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:22 am

If anyone does make such dreads, I shall have to buy them the hat in my local joke shop. (Cowboy hat with a plushie penis on it) >_>?!

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:49 pm

:i2: thanks doc!! yey!!!xxxx
I bent my wookie!!

MaliceInWonderland

Post by MaliceInWonderland » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:20 pm

Thanks for posting this tutorial! I've been trying to find a way to make some wrapped dreads for sometime and just couldn't get it to stay!

:D

AlexZandra Murder
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.

Return to “Extended Dreadlocks”