Weft vs pre-tipped... Which is best?

MissChelsea

Weft vs pre-tipped... Which is best?

Post by MissChelsea » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:47 pm

I'm getting a wee bit fed up of dreads/roving now (never thought I'd say that!) and fancied trying my hand at loose extensions. I've been looking around at the different hair and methods. I know I'd like to use microrings to attach the hair, and that I'll be using human hair, but I've hit a wall.. should I use wefted or pre-tipped hair?
Does anyone have experience with one (or both) types? If so, what was your favourite, which looks best (if I do this it's going to be red, so I guess 'natural' doesn't really come into it!), easiest to style... that sort of thing. Pictues of either installed (full head please!) would be great too... Thankyoo :)

IKickShins

Re: Weft vs pre-tipped... Which is best?

Post by IKickShins » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:24 pm

If you're installing with microrings, pre-tipped hair is better because you can just slide it into the rings. With wefts, you have to sew the rings onto the track to install them.

Microrings are also a little easier to hide since the rings aren't as bulky as the tracks on wefts.

Wefts are a lot quicker to install, though, since you can do a whole section at once instead of one strand at a time.

Styling with either installation will depend on placement of the extensions. When you install loose extensions, you have to keep in mind all of the styles you plan to do, where you want to part your hair, and where your hair parts naturally.
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

Desiree

Re: Weft vs pre-tipped... Which is best?

Post by Desiree » Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:29 pm

Actually I have pictures of the same girl with both pre-tipped and weft.

Here she is with pretipped hair : she looooves big hair, so there's 400 strands in there.

Here she is with weft : and as she loves big hair, there's two packs of buyhair's human weft in.

When I put in weft, I use micro rings, but I don't sew them on. I use this method : http://www.neonhair.se/tutorial/microri ... tutor.html It's in swedish, but I think the picture's speak for them selves.
I use silicone lined micro rings for this.

The biggest difference is the time consumed! I guess I used about 8 hours on the first one (400 strands!!) and about 1 hour on the weft. I cut the weft up and glued it together before hand.
Other than that, the prebonds are easier to style if you do updo's and they last longer.

Return to “Loose Synthetic & Human”