Latex Bonding vs. liquid gold?

Gorey

Latex Bonding vs. liquid gold?

Post by Gorey » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:36 am

looking at doclocks site i was noticing that latex bonding seemed a bit simpler to install then liquid gold extensions, is it just as easy to take out? does it last as long? and do you use the same kind of remover to get it out? also for both systems i was wondering if its secure enough to use to add length or would that be to heavy? oh also with the no weave liquid gold method (where you cut of the track after its glued) would this cause the hair to fall out in the shower and what not, cause it would now be all indivdual pieces, or does it hold just as good? i would love to do this method sence i have thin hair and its easy to see extensions in but im scared that it would start shedding when the glue began to loosen.
formaly known as GoreyGlamour
known as GoreyFashionFaggot on vf.com
known as Sushi. on Specktra.net

bingeandpurge

Re: Latex Bonding vs. liquid gold?

Post by bingeandpurge » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:59 pm

I haven't used Liquid Gold (but plan to try it now that Doctored Locks will be carrying it) but I'd suggest to stay away from the latex. For just a few streaks or short-term, it's not that bad, but using latex glue for a full head of length is just a pain in the ass.
You don't really need to buy fancy remover for the latex glue, I always used olive oil to get the tracks out and a really cheap bond remover shampoo from Sally's just to get all the oil and glue residue off my hair.
My only advice for taking it out is to go reeeeeally slow, and when you're taking the wefts out don't pull them out away from your head, slide them down the hair. Does that make sense? In my experience if you pull them out perpendicular to your head, you'll pull the weft off clean and leave a big glob of glue still attached to your hair. But if you pull it down, it takes the glue with it.
Also I found that after the first week or so, I was having to reattach loose wefts every few days.

So yeah, I wouldn't recommend latex for serious installations. Too much hassle.
There are no rules anywhere. The Goddess prevails.
Hail Eris!

http://bingeandpurge.deviantart.com

IKickShins

Post by IKickShins » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:33 pm

If you go with Liquid Gold, wait until Doc Locks gets the old formula back in. The new formula doesn't last very long and if you do the no-weft method, you'll probably lose strands pretty easily. I installed wefts with it and I had 3 pieces completely fall out after 10 days.
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

MissAnthropik

Post by MissAnthropik » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:13 am

I don't even really rate the old formula. I found that I was having to re-affix wefts every few days, and that they loosened a lot in the shower. The first time I thought maybe I hadn't installed them properly, but I tried twice since then and had the same result. I can't imagine how much hair you would lose if you did the no weft method and actually washed your hair.

Maybe I was unlucky and had a bad batch or somehting though, although I did use 2 different bottles, but they were bought within a couple of weeks of each other.

I also found it very difficult to get the glue off the wefts after use. And the remover makes everything slimey. In actual fact you probably will find you don't need remover if you wash your hair before removing and use conditioner around the wefts (i didn't use any conditioner except on the lengths of my hair when I wasn't trying to remove them)
telling it like it is!

IKickShins

Post by IKickShins » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:45 pm

MissAnthropik wrote:And the remover makes everything slimey.
How weird.. the remover I used made it feel oily, but not slimey, and it washed out pretty easily.
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

MissAnthropik

Post by MissAnthropik » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:37 am

ikickshins wrote:
MissAnthropik wrote:And the remover makes everything slimey.
How weird.. the remover I used made it feel oily, but not slimey, and it washed out pretty easily.
It made the glue on the tracks slimey, but I still couldn't get it off. Made my hair oily, that washed out pretty easily
telling it like it is!

Purity

Post by Purity » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:18 am

By my experience, latex glue holds up much better and is less messy to install, but the bonds are more uncomfortable and it's hell taking the extensions out.
There's more to life than hair, but it's a good place to start

doclocks
Site Admin

Post by doclocks » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:24 pm

Just a quick note, we now have both kinds of liquid gold in stock (old formula AND new formula).
I haven't had a chance to add it to the website, so just specify in any order notes if you need the old formula. It will be added to the site as a permanent item shortly.

Thanks!
Doc

PS I LOVE the old formula. And it stays waaaay better than latex in my experience. The new stuff...not so much. Some people seem to like the new stuff, but I'm not convinced. Latex always seemed more slimy to remove. :(
Doctored Locks :)
Sophisticated supplies for hair extension architects.
Hair extensions, installation supplies, 300+ free DIY tutorials, classes and installations.

Return to “Loose Synthetic & Human”