Featherlocks

Couture_Coiffure

Featherlocks

Post by Couture_Coiffure » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:07 pm

Wasn't sure where else this belonged so please feel free to move the post if it's in the wrong place.

Righty-o then. Reading thru the comments of an LJ community last nite, I saw a girl mention that she was planning on getting featherlocks. Someone wanted to know what they were, and she suggested an image search on Google.

After doing so, I must get my hands on some of these lovelies. They are essential long, thin striped feathers that are attached to the hair the same way as some loose extensions - I'm guessing something along the lines of micro-rings from the photos I saw.

The question is then, where can I get these without paying an absurd amount of money?

Hoping they are available as an affordable craft item, because I think they would look fantastic in concentrated amounts in a wig and very much want to test that theory.
Angel de'Vil Designs | Website | Shop | Blog | Facebook

Phoenix

Re: Featherlocks

Post by Phoenix » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:16 pm

If you can find somwhere which sells the feathers then you could certainly DIY them. You may even be able to dye them with hairdye/fabric dye if you could find white feathers. As you said, they are installed exactly like I tip extensions so you just need some microrings. I can't reccomend anywhere which will sell them as I don't live in the US.

PrettyDreadful

Post by PrettyDreadful » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:36 pm

Fishing supply stores sell feathers for fly tying .

IKickShins

Post by IKickShins » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:39 pm

There are lots of supply shops on Etsy that have the feathers you can us to DIY them:
http://www.etsy.com/search/supplies?q=hair+feathers
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:50 pm

I saw a video on it a few days ago. It was a little tut on how to put them in with micro rings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKO1xi8lB-U

Librarynerd

Post by Librarynerd » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:52 pm

I started seeing these in the students hair at the University I work at about 2 weeks ago. They are spreading like wildfire. Very big with Alternative/hippy crowd.

I think Imp and Petal used these in the "forest" roving falls in her last show off. They look great mixed in with dreads, hang and move very naturally.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/jeanween23

XXXX I used to be disgusted. Now I try to be amused. XXXX

Couture_Coiffure

Post by Couture_Coiffure » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:35 am

Much thanks for the links ladies. Can't wait to try these babies out. :D

iddylove

Post by iddylove » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:02 am

alot of salons here do then and they charge 10$ per extension!!! rediculous. even the ones on etsy are a bit pricey. if you google feather wholesalers you can find them cheap.

Librarynerd

Post by Librarynerd » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:45 am

I was surprised by the prices too! They are just rooster tail feathers. Rooster chicks are half the price of hens. You can mail order chicks for $50=50 chicks

but oh my....I just imagined having 50 roosters in my yard. If I ever go deaf I'm going into the chicken feather business.

This is my favorite rare breed chicken catalog http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/index.html
http://www.etsy.com/shop/jeanween23

XXXX I used to be disgusted. Now I try to be amused. XXXX

..::AtomicLox::..

Post by ..::AtomicLox::.. » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:01 pm

This is one of those trends that goes postal and I can't help but love it any way. Seriously. Can't give it up. LOVE FEATHERS. haha

So these originated as mentioned above, as a fly fishing tying supply. As soon as the hair industry got hold, salons worldwide started buying them in huge amounts, and now they're incredibly hard to get hold of, which sadly drives the price up to astronomical heights, no matter WHERE you go to purchase them.

Options really depend on what you're going for. If you want more than one color, sucking it up and paying $15 + shipping for a custom combo of 5 feathers is probably going to be your best bet. If you want LOTS of one color for a handful of DIY projects etc you can find a wholesale fishing shop online, or find a shop locally that sells fly tying supplies. Even in my YUPPIE TOURIST TOWN the prices are better locally than online, and often the online shops are sold out for months at a time. The issue here is you either have to buy a half or a full saddle, which will run you between $30-$50 USD.

ETA: The Oregon in me just squealed a little over the site you posted, Jean!
The mind and hands behind Imp And Petal dreads!

http://www.impandpetal.etsy.com
http://www.facebook.com/ImpAndPetal

Couture_Coiffure

Post by Couture_Coiffure » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:46 am

Yea, I had a look thru the Etsy pages and was pretty surprised at how much people were charging for six feathers. Thankfully I found a decent source, tho they are currently out of stock. Will be keeping my eyes peeled tho, because I have a bunch of ideas of how I want to use the feathers in conjunction with various hair pieces.

NirvanaMarie

Post by NirvanaMarie » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:27 pm

We are working on a cruelty free human hair version of this style, hoping to have it out by the end of next month!

vintagesoul

Post by vintagesoul » Fri May 27, 2011 3:27 am

i'm wondering if any of you guys have found another source for these because a girl is asking me to get them for her... but i'm having the most difficult time finding them at a decent price. there is a beauty supply near my house that can get them, but they sell them pre-tipped with about 6 feathers in them for $30 each!! salons around here are charging $50 i think to have them put in.

i have scoured every fly fishing site, including cabela's and they all appear to be out of stock. it looks as if they all come from one farm basically, because i think before now, they were exclusively used in fly-fishing ties. lol. and now girls and boys are putting them in their hair.

well, if you guys have any updates on this, that'd be awesome. i'm also willing to go in on a group purchase, on a big bag or something. thanks!!
i'm makin headlines like a courdory pillow...

Return to “Loose Synthetic & Human”