Aftercare

robyndoe

Aftercare

Post by robyndoe » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:46 pm

Okay... I've been through all 12 pages in this section and haven't found an answer so... I need help!

I'm awaiting the arrival of some HH extensions. They're microrings with the loop on them to help install. This will be my first time with microrings and with HH that actually feels soft. (I had some before that was really cheap but I only needed it for a short while.)

My concern lies with AFTER I get them in. What can I do to help the hair stay shiny and tangle free? I was thinking that I could treat it like my real hair, which would mean air drying and wearing it up most of the time.

Is there any spray I can use to help keep it healthy, moisturized, shiny, and smooth?
Do I HAVE to use heat to get a style? I would like the bottom of the hair to have some curl in it, but I don't know much about styling. Could I roll it while it's wet and let it dry that way? Or is it better to just use a little heat and be done?
Should I avoid blow drying?
Are styling products off limits? Or just ones with alcohol?
Product recommendations? Shampoo, conditioner, treatments, etc?

I'm almost positive that the hair isn't Remy, as it was bought from ebay for about $60, but I'd like to know if I can even tolerate the feel of the rings before I spend more money. I also bought 200 strands @ .5g each, but I have some auburn in the same length.
I needed more hair, could I dye the auburn black to match and use it to supplement?

Is it ridiculous to consider 150-200g in extensions? I'd like a full, thick head of hair. I always see questions about the bare minimum that can be used but never the maximum... and I'll have the hair here anyway.

Sorry for so many questions at once. I noticed there was a sticky in the dread tech section, but not one here so I'm trying to get all the questions I can think of out of the way.

Thanks!!

NirvanaMarie

Re: Aftercare

Post by NirvanaMarie » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:19 pm

Aftercare can be tricky and can differ with different kinds of hair. We generally recommend using Redken products (Smooth Down Line for dark colors, and the Extreme line for blondes). Also, it is very important to not over condition extensions because this will actually create more tangles. If this happens you can clarify the hair. Using a high quality oil like the Moroccan Oil or Heat Glide when hair is wet will help keep the hair feeling soft and smooth. Make sure you use heat protecting products when you curl or flat iron. I usually blow dry mine in the winter and have no problems, you can let them air dry as well. Make sure you braid the hair before bed. A brush specifically for extensions is a good idea as well.

You can die extensions, I would suggest doing a test strand to make sure the color does not react to anything already on the hair.

Our prebond hair is sold in 50g bundles, and people use between 2-4 packages on average.

Hope that helps!

robyndoe

Post by robyndoe » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:38 am

Yes that helps a bunch, thank you!

The last thing I want to do is get these installed and ruin them with poor care. I really appreciate the info. :)

NirvanaMarie

Post by NirvanaMarie » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:32 pm

Not a problem :)

theextensionist

Post by theextensionist » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:48 pm

Me and my clients swear by Maroccan oil on the ends!

Return to “Loose Synthetic & Human”