Coontails with Fabric Dye?

Candied_Angel

Coontails with Fabric Dye?

Post by Candied_Angel » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:41 am

Hey all!

I'm gearing up to do a massive redo on my hair, just in the stages of gathering inspiration, and I wanted to know if any of you had any idea how to make coontails using fabric dye.

I was first inspired by the ikickshins tutorial on how to make coontails using tape and regular hair dye.
But I'm a college student in my first year and I don't have the money to buy expensive hair dye in bright colours. The local beauty mart, since I live out in the middle of nowhere, only sells natural colours. I've asked students on campus where they get their hair dye from and it's usually manic panic at $12 for a 4oz jar of one colour.

I want my coontails to be black & dark blue.

So on a search for an alternative I stumbled upon a tutorial for dying human hair wefts with fabric dye: viewtopic.php?f=64&t=10167&hilit=dying+wefts

I thought it was pretty nifty as a permanent solution for bright colours but the only problem is the fact that all the hair has to be submerged in the fabric dye.

Do you think it's possible to still use the tape and dye method?
Or do I have to splurge on black hair dye and dark blue fabric dye?
Striving for social imperfection since 1990.

IKickShins

Re: Coontails with Fabric Dye?

Post by IKickShins » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:46 am

I'd recommend trying it on a small piece first. I've found that fabric dye runs WAY more than hair dye when you first rinse it out, so the stripes might bleed into each other more. Only one way to know for sure is to try it, though :D
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

Couture_Coiffure

Post by Couture_Coiffure » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:53 am

To be honest, I would not use the fabric dye. While I have not tried to dye extensions with this before, would it be worth the investment in the human hair to just experiment?

Also, if you are only looking to do a couple of pieces, you might be able to get some leftovers from a friend or even someone on the board.
Angel de'Vil Designs | Website | Shop | Blog | Facebook

IKickShins

Post by IKickShins » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:10 am

Couture_Coiffure wrote:To be honest, I would not use the fabric dye.
Just out of curiosity, why not? Does it do some extra damage to the hair that I haven't noticed yet? I've only worn fabric dyed extensions for a couple weeks at a time, but they held up the same quality-wise as ones dyed with semi perms like SFX and Manic Panic and the color stayed in a lot better.
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

cyberloxshop

Post by cyberloxshop » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:00 am

Maybe get a blue weft - as inexpensive as you can find it and then use really cheap black hair dye to do the stripes? That way seeing as you are still buying a weft, you might as well get a blue one :) then you only have to get the black dye.

In the UK black hair dye is very cheap - Not sure if it is in the US?
http://www.Cyberloxshop.co.uk - Hair supplies & Cyberlox galore!
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/cyberloxshop - come say hi!
We love fake hair, bright colours and everything cyber! :D Oh and, lots of creating!

guest123

Post by guest123 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:59 pm

*deleted*
Last edited by guest123 on Sat May 09, 2015 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

madebs666

Post by madebs666 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:37 am

My suggestion would be, if it is powdered dye you are using, mix it with much less water than normal, and paint it on like you would do with a normal semi-permanent hair dye.

I've been thinking of trying this myself to make some leopard print extensions.

As with everything new, try it out on a small piece first to see if it works.

Return to “Loose Synthetic & Human”