Steamer issues, the bane of my exsistence...

Miss Liberty

Steamer issues, the bane of my exsistence...

Post by Miss Liberty » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:33 pm

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place. I wasn't quite sure where steamer issues go.

I've been thru my fair share of steamers since I have started dreading, and I've really about had it!

My hand held Sharks work great. But lets face it, they were not intended for use as heavy as dreadmaking, so they crap out after about 6 months.

The last time I thought enough was enough, and invested in a large "industrial strength" garment steamer. Its very much like the ones touted on here as the best way to go....hours worth of continuos steam, less refills, pleanty of wattage, etc.

Well, I've used it for three long dreading sessions and now it shuts itself off after steaming only one to two dreads. *sigh* This machine was expensive, so I'm pretty upset. Its not too late to return it yet, but I've returned so many steamers, I'd rather just find a way to make the ones I am going thru work. Plus, some stores in my area are closing, and my steamer options are narrowing unless i order online and pay tons in shipping.

I think the only thing that I might be able to do to fix it is the vinegar/water cleaning, hoping that it has sediments. The instructions say how often you clean it depends on the local water. I would ASSUME it would be fine after only three uses, but I suppose you never know. (Although I never had to clean my little handhelds that often)

How often do you all clean your steamers? When build up occurs, are your sypmtoms similar? I unplug mine and let it cool overnight. The next day it works, but again....only for a few dreads.... sound familiar?

ANNloses

Re: Steamer issues, the bane of my exsistence...

Post by ANNloses » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:14 pm

What brand and model is this?

zaahn

Post by zaahn » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:46 pm

I cant help with the cleaning (as when mine die its mostly to do with the product being faulty so I just go and get it replaced at argos :P) but maybe try to prevent or slow down the build up?

I only use de-ionized water in my steamers now and since doing this they have lasted upto 8 months of heavy duty steaming. I know its the water cos once when I had to finish an order and ran out of de-ionized water, I used tap water. The steamer broke within the next few days.
http://www.zaahndreads.co.uk - Dedicated to bringing you high quality synthetic dreads for over 10 years.

http://www.katiestainer.co.uk - Contemporary origami jewellery and accessories.

dare2wear

Post by dare2wear » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:19 pm

sounds like its faulty and you need to take it back. i can use mines without cleaning for months. but i did have the same problem as you, more than once: the brand new steamer was faulty and i had to exchange it. not a big deal.

Miss Liberty

Post by Miss Liberty » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:33 pm

Its this one here:

http://www.lnt.com/product/index.jsp?pr ... age=search

I know conair isn't very good. However, like I said, my choices at actual brick and mortar stores in my area is limited. THis one touted itself industrial strength, and I hadn't seen this precise model get a bad review on the old forum.

For the record, I plugged it in and am trying the vintager thing. Its not even heating up now :(

I know the answer to this is just to throw down on a Jiffy. I'm just so afraid that after ordering it and paying thru the nose on shipping I'll be faced with similar problems.

ANNloses

Post by ANNloses » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:51 pm

I have a rowenta, and it's marketed to have continuous steam too. It doesn't. It's lasted me several months but I'm beginning to get concerned, as there's lime buildup or something D:

cybernetikdreams

Post by cybernetikdreams » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:21 pm

Miss Liberty wrote: I know the answer to this is just to throw down on a Jiffy. I'm just so afraid that after ordering it and paying thru the nose on shipping I'll be faced with similar problems.
It does sound like the steamer is faulty. I finally took the plunge and purchased a Jiffy which was well worth the money. I think I may still have the site saved that I bought it from which was far cheaper than most places on the net. I will look when I get home.
:D
Honestly I should be working...

Miss Liberty

Post by Miss Liberty » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:05 pm

cybernetikdreams wrote:
Miss Liberty wrote: I know the answer to this is just to throw down on a Jiffy. I'm just so afraid that after ordering it and paying thru the nose on shipping I'll be faced with similar problems.
It does sound like the steamer is faulty. I finally took the plunge and purchased a Jiffy which was well worth the money. I think I may still have the site saved that I bought it from which was far cheaper than most places on the net. I will look when I get home.
:D

That would be handy info, Thank you! How long have you had it? Any other Jiffy owners out there able to tell me how long they have had theirs? I'd love to know how long they last.

cybernetikdreams

Post by cybernetikdreams » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:49 pm

My hubby was a computer hog last night when I got home from work ,feeding his WOW addiction, so I wasn't able to check my bookmarks however I have free reign of the computer tonight so I will look for it amd hopefully post it tonight. :roll:

I have owned my Jiffy for around a year and a half to two years ( surprisingly my computer hog hubby purchased it for me) and it has held up beautifully. The steam is super hot and be careful if you get the wig attachment because if you accidentally bump into (like I did) you will get a yuckie burn. Not to mention I can steam at least 3 to 4 times more dreads that I ever could with my various hand held steamers. Hope this helps!

cybernetikdreams

Post by cybernetikdreams » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:56 am

After some looking I finallly found the place where I purchased mine

http://www.allbrands.com/products/abp02467.html

They have it listed as 199.99 and it comes with the wig attachment I use for dreads.

Hope this helps ;)

Return to “Synthetic Dreadlocks”