layered falls??

kiss_of_death

layered falls??

Post by kiss_of_death » Sat May 09, 2009 3:10 am

how do you make layered falls like Triplesix's dreads
Last edited by kiss_of_death on Sat May 09, 2009 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I wont do it with you, I'll do it to you!
Email = death_kiss_dreads@yahoo.com
www.myspace.com/deathkissdreads

xalternmommyx

Re: WANTED: layered falls

Post by xalternmommyx » Sat May 09, 2009 3:12 am

i have a pair i trying to find a home for, they are stranded on two different pieces of lace but then the lace is knotted together. they are great for a fuller coveraged look.

sammu

Re: WANTED: layered falls

Post by sammu » Sat May 09, 2009 3:22 am

A mixture of long and short dreads.

malevolentglitter

Re: layered falls??

Post by malevolentglitter » Sun May 10, 2009 9:19 pm

yeah, she has a set of long dreads she wears and a set of short dreads she either wears over them or installs the short ones on top and the longer ones towards the bottom of her head

Deathwish_

Post by Deathwish_ » Tue May 12, 2009 3:17 pm

I usually make three different lengths of dread, and when making them into the fall attatch them in layers so that the shortest ones would be on the outside if that makes sense :s

The shorter dreads need to be on top of the longer ones :)

delic1999

Post by delic1999 » Wed May 13, 2009 11:49 pm

ditto just make shorter ones and stager them. A trick I do is I make a short set of dreads and then the long set I shorten up just one side to make it a medium length and the back side is the longest part. I don't have pictures to show what i mean unfortunatly.

sammu

Post by sammu » Thu May 14, 2009 12:32 am

delic1999 wrote:Ditto, just make shorter ones and stagger them. A trick I do is to make make a short set of dreads, and then the long set I shorten up just one side to make it a medium length and the back side is the longest part. I don't have pictures to show what I mean unfortunately.
In other words... just bend it in a different place rather than bend it in the middle?

delic1999

Post by delic1999 » Thu May 14, 2009 1:12 am

CirqueMachine wrote:
delic1999 wrote:Ditto, just make shorter ones and stagger them. A trick I do is to make make a short set of dreads, and then the long set I shorten up just one side to make it a medium length and the back side is the longest part. I don't have pictures to show what I mean unfortunately.
In other words... just bend it in a different place rather than bend it in the middle?
yep you said it perfectly!

snapaxle

Post by snapaxle » Sat May 16, 2009 9:13 pm

delic1999 wrote:ditto just make shorter ones and stager them. A trick I do is I make a short set of dreads and then the long set I shorten up just one side to make it a medium length and the back side is the longest part. I don't have pictures to show what i mean unfortunatly.
That's a really good idea! Never thought of that =)

Jenna_Cide

Post by Jenna_Cide » Sun May 17, 2009 3:44 pm

Neither had I. I feel like I've wasted my time making all different lengths now. :lol:
:)

delic1999

Post by delic1999 » Mon May 18, 2009 3:53 pm

I hate making tons of dreads so if I can fake it i will ;)

malevolentglitter

Post by malevolentglitter » Wed May 20, 2009 4:14 pm

snapaxle wrote:
delic1999 wrote:ditto just make shorter ones and stager them. A trick I do is I make a short set of dreads and then the long set I shorten up just one side to make it a medium length and the back side is the longest part. I don't have pictures to show what i mean unfortunatly.
That's a really good idea! Never thought of that =)
That is an amazing idea. So instead of folding it in half, fold it so one side is longer?

delic1999

Post by delic1999 » Thu May 21, 2009 2:11 pm

malevolentglitter wrote:That is an amazing idea. So instead of folding it in half, fold it so one side is longer?
Yep it's just that simple!

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Thu May 21, 2009 9:05 pm

Us poor lil SE fall makers have to actually make two different lengths xD

cypherlox

Post by cypherlox » Thu May 21, 2009 10:50 pm

I've made a few sets of dreads for Triplesix, the best way I have found to achieve layered results is to make a set of dreads on elastic lace with maybe 10-20x dreads on it - make sure that you keep the base no longer than 3-4 inches wide, which means you will need to knot on top of / stack the dreads. Then make 1-2 more sets with shorter dreads, the same way you made the 1st one.

Then take all of your separate sets that you made, place them on top of each other at the base, and tie them all together tightly on the ends (you can make one more dread on each side of the fall to hide your knot. Now you will have 1 fall - reapeat this again for a pair of falls.

Remember though - Triplesix always wears HUGE/HEAVY dreads (she usually orders at least 40-45 dreads on each fall) so that is why you see more layering happen. the bigger the base is on the fall, the more the dreads will have to prop themselves up on (in addition to how you make your layered dreads). I find that the layered look works better when you have more dreads in the fall. Make sure your scalp can handle it though - it can get very heavy!
CypherLOX.com
Visit us on Facebook!
Visit us on Myspace!
Follow us on Twitter!

Cypherlox.com - Custom Falls & Extensions, Hair Making Supplies, Hair Dye, Goggles, Fuzzy Boot Covers and more!

delic1999

Post by delic1999 » Sat May 23, 2009 3:15 pm

cypherlox wrote:I've made a few sets of dreads for Triplesix, the best way I have found to achieve layered results is to make a set of dreads on elastic lace with maybe 10-20x dreads on it - make sure that you keep the base no longer than 3-4 inches wide, which means you will need to knot on top of / stack the dreads. Then make 1-2 more sets with shorter dreads, the same way you made the 1st one.

Then take all of your separate sets that you made, place them on top of each other at the base, and tie them all together tightly on the ends (you can make one more dread on each side of the fall to hide your knot. Now you will have 1 fall - reapeat this again for a pair of falls.
http://delicstutorials.livejournal.com/644.html this is a link to a tutorial i made that shows exactly what she is talking about in stacking rows.

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Sat May 23, 2009 8:41 pm

delic1999 wrote:
cypherlox wrote:I've made a few sets of dreads for Triplesix, the best way I have found to achieve layered results is to make a set of dreads on elastic lace with maybe 10-20x dreads on it - make sure that you keep the base no longer than 3-4 inches wide, which means you will need to knot on top of / stack the dreads. Then make 1-2 more sets with shorter dreads, the same way you made the 1st one.

http://delicstutorials.livejournal.com/644.html this is a link to a tutorial i made that shows exactly what she is talking about in stacking rows.
I mount my falls like that too. Great tut :P (I learnt from it)
Yeah, it makes the falls sit better than just threading them onto one row.
Falls shouldn't really be any wider than 6", otherwise they don't sit right. My foam falls are mounted exactly the same way, but it's hard to not make them too wide.

DeadGirl SUPERSTAR

Post by DeadGirl SUPERSTAR » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:59 pm

rivetlicker_ wrote:Us poor lil SE fall makers have to actually make two different lengths xD
I know what you mean. XD

convenientlust

Post by convenientlust » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:25 am

delic1999 wrote:http://delicstutorials.livejournal.com/644.html this is a link to a tutorial i made that shows exactly what she is talking about in stacking rows.
thanks for the tut, super helpful : )

Return to “Synthetic Dreadlocks”