Install question

malevolentglitter

Install question

Post by malevolentglitter » Fri May 08, 2009 3:36 pm

I install my dreads via braiding them in (i use DE's) I install them into my mohawk, but what i dont like is that you can see my hair on the dreads and makes it obvious they're fake. (you see my natural hair on the side of the dread i installed it on) is there any way of install that keeps the dreads from looking like this?

Thanks

kyandii

Re: Install question

Post by kyandii » Fri May 08, 2009 5:03 pm

only by using matching colors or really similar colors
Which is why I like harlequins :]

IKickShins

Post by IKickShins » Sat May 09, 2009 5:48 am

You can also use a blanket-stitch braid so that the braided section is smaller.
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

MissAnthropik

Post by MissAnthropik » Sat May 09, 2009 10:38 am

the only thing with the blanket stitch braid is that it completely covers the dread, so even though it's shorter in a way it looks more fake (although it is the braid I use).

Other options are to add extra DEs onto the braided side which ups the ration of non-braided dreads to braided dreads, or to do a criss cross pattern with wool or more synth on the non braided side making the criss crossing a feature, or to do wrapped dreads, or wool wrap over the braids or somehting (but this will obviously replace the natural hair problem with a wool wrap, but that can look like a feature).

I don't think other people notice the braids at all, the amount of people that ask whether my hair is real they can't do.
telling it like it is!

guest123

Post by guest123 » Sat May 09, 2009 11:06 am

*deleted*
Last edited by guest123 on Sat May 09, 2015 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

atomiklox

Post by atomiklox » Sat May 09, 2009 2:40 pm

I like to 2 crossovers of the braid on the dread and then braid my hair alone so it hangs down next to the dreads. This way there's only a bit at the root. Then if I wear my hair back or up I just tuck the braids in where they can't be seen. I've also used a crochet hook pushed up from the bottom area of the dread, poked through at the top where the braid is and pull the braid down inside the dread - those this is difficult with hard seal dreads. You can also wrap the loose braids with a bit of lightly backcombed fiber and seal with the hair dryer, making another dread - this is time consuming. But these are some of the things I've tried. Good luck :D
Do not go where the path leads, instead go where there is no path and leave a trail. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

cherrygloom

Post by cherrygloom » Sat May 09, 2009 7:41 pm

You can install them as normal then wrap a bit of loose KK around the braid, securing with a band at both ends. This will disguise all of your own hair bar the very root :)

malevolentglitter

Post by malevolentglitter » Sun May 10, 2009 1:58 am

thank you so much everyone

Return to “Synthetic Dreadlocks”