Colours we all hate

AlphaBitch

Re: Colours we all hate

Post by AlphaBitch » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:58 pm

I'm surprised many of you mention BH's baby blue or pink lilac, they are absolutely fine for me.

but some others were a great disappointment, like royal blue or fantasy turquise.

we could make a LIST of BH colours that won't seal (I mean...at all... like Rose or old rose :? )

AlphaBitch

Post by AlphaBitch » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:44 pm

NOW I understand your concern about BH's baby blue.
it used to be okay, but these new packages I've got are completely useless.
fuckyeah.

MadamGutterTrash

Post by MadamGutterTrash » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:31 pm

Bobbi Boss #4 Dark Brown makes me want to hit things.
It's like backcombing over processed hair, just wants to either make small balls of knots or frizz up then fall apart. Theres no strength to it, which is sad because it looks really pretty straight out of the pack :(

I ended up having to blend it with some other colours of other brands to get it to a strength I was comfortable with.
Sacha

emmyk89

Post by emmyk89 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:35 pm

Hello all! Gosh so many bad reveiws about BuyHair's products!
Im just starting out, making dreads for myself atm, i want to try and make a mermaidy (blues, greens, white and pink) set for myself (to practice with basically) and seems like the colours i want to use have pretty bad reveiws and i kind of need "easy" colours to work with to begin with. Any other major UK sites that supply KK? Ive been on ikickshins but postage is too much for me atm.
Thanks for your help :)

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:39 pm

www.diversityhair.co.uk and www.afrocare.co.uk. Afrocare's colour chart isn't anywhere near accurate though.

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:46 pm

Jenna (diversity hair) is out of the country from Dec 1st though. there are messages on her website
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

diversityhair

Post by diversityhair » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:03 pm

Hey, as Saspiedoo said ;)

I sell jazzy hair which is nice to work with and some Lexy (same as buyhairs), Lexy can be harder to work with, but as ive said before... its all to do with heat resistance (this is the reason different people have troubles with different colours). The hotter you seal them, the easier it is :)

Im open until the end of Tuesday (30th), as the shop will close down on the 1st until the 9th.
http://www.diversityhair.co.uk - NEW SITE 20/06/11
Hair Extensions, Hairdressing and Supplies
http://twitter.com/Jenna_Diversity - Twitter for site updates and everything else
http://www.facebook.com/diversityhair - Diversity Hair facebook page for updates on products, photos etc.

AlphaBitch

Post by AlphaBitch » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:53 pm

emmyk89 wrote:Gosh so many bad reveiws about BuyHair's products!

most of the stuff is quite okay there too, you just have to avoid certain colours.
looking through this topic can give you a good idea about which colours are the problematic ones.

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:41 pm

Edited the first post with the colours which lots of people have multiple problems with.

If you feel a colour needs to be added to the list then ask but bear in mind it may just be you who has had a problem with a specific colour.

AlphaBitch

Post by AlphaBitch » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:52 pm

for me, Fantasy royal blue , rose, indigo, blackberry light orchid UV and caramel didn't seal either.

pepper/ruby red was fine both times I ordered.

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:14 pm

Fantasy Royal Blue sealed for me when I had it but the Pepper Red was awful, it was exactly like PP fibre. I had Pepper Red a year or so ago and I know that Buyhair have changed some of their products. It wasn't called Pepper Red back when I had it. Was the fibre matt or shiny? I have a feeling they may be selling the old Pepper Red under the name Ultra Vibrant Red. On their site they have stated that it is matt fibre, which is what I recieved.

diversityhair

Post by diversityhair » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:36 pm

Having done alot of research on the subject and found suppliers of various this, can i try and clear something up once and for all...

BHs colours are Lexy brand (or similar for the fantasy colours), Lexy Brand is PP. PP has a higher heat resistance than normal kanekalon and as such is harder to seal. The higher the heat you use the easier it is. You might find it easier with steamer hair straighteners or a high powered steamer. Basically anything that operates above the heat resistance of the fibre should work.

Manufactures will still label their PP fibre as 100% kanekalon when it should say 'Kanekalon PP fibre', as they want to sell their products and make them look good to international buyers.

The interesting colours BH, myself and anyone stocking Lexy has are only available in PP at the moment unless you are willing to pay £6-8 for kanekalon jumbo braid from a company that will pay the premiums to get it in, so its a case of putting up with the quality of PP to get interesting colours or paying a premium.

I am working on this issue at the moment, but for now... know that what you are buying will vary in quality and will seal differently from person to person dependant on what they are using to seal it with.

I hope that clarifies some stuff :)
http://twitter.com/Jenna_Diversity - Twitter for site updates and everything else
http://www.facebook.com/diversityhair - Diversity Hair facebook page for updates on products, photos etc.

emmyk89

Post by emmyk89 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:09 pm

Ur all SO helpful :) and cheers for that info diversityhair really helpful :)
It took me ages to decide what colours to get coz I wanted quite a few like blues and pinks, but some of the sites u suggested didn't have all the shades I wanted but BH pretty much did so I got them all off there...lol I figured it would be easier than getting a load of hair off a few different websites nd paying loadssss on postage, id defo use the other sites when Im not ordering so much tho :)
the colours I did get wer (all jumbo braid) fantasy aquatic, fantasy aqua, fantasy raspberry, and funky royal blue, light blue, lilac and snow white. (i avoided the killer turquoise :P) I'll post back when I use them :)

emmyk89

Post by emmyk89 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:17 pm

diversityhair wrote: BHs colours are Lexy brand (or similar for the fantasy colours), Lexy Brand is PP. PP has a higher heat resistance than normal kanekalon and as such is harder to seal. The higher the heat you use the easier it is. You might find it easier with steamer hair straighteners or a high powered steamer. Basically anything that operates above the heat resistance of the fibre should work.
Would taking more time to seal them (i.e say steaming the dread for double the time u usually do) ensure it seals ok without having to raise the temperature? Sorry if it sounds like a dumb question lol xx

diversityhair

Post by diversityhair » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:04 pm

emmyk89 wrote:
diversityhair wrote: BHs colours are Lexy brand (or similar for the fantasy colours), Lexy Brand is PP. PP has a higher heat resistance than normal kanekalon and as such is harder to seal. The higher the heat you use the easier it is. You might find it easier with steamer hair straighteners or a high powered steamer. Basically anything that operates above the heat resistance of the fibre should work.
Would taking more time to seal them (i.e say steaming the dread for double the time u usually do) ensure it seals ok without having to raise the temperature? Sorry if it sounds like a dumb question lol xx
Not really... continuous heat at a lower temperature would still be too low.

I found the best thing to do is backcomb a few dreads ready to steam and experiment on them, seal one in boiling water, one with a steamer, one with old steam hair straighteners, one with a higher powered steamer etc. just trial and error to a find a method that works with the hair for you. I know alot of people have steamers, but some are far more powerful and heat up higher than others.

PlasticHair

Post by PlasticHair » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:05 pm

Diversity Hair:

Disco Pink, very hard to get it to seal, I use flat irons to seal, and I had to put them up to the max temperature (210 degrees) to get these to seal, which meant they weren't the softest dreads :/ and they were still easy to unravel. I've still got a packet of the hair left, going to have to use it very sparingly in blends as that's all I can think of to make it work.

BH:
Fantasy Orchid, the same as the above! But it's worse, doesn't seal at all, but I can blend it (in small doses) into other dreads and it's okay...but not great.

Bright Pink - same case, doesn't seal whatsoever, but it blends in quite well with other hair and is sealable when blended :)

That's all for noww, :)

diversityhair

Post by diversityhair » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:19 pm

PlasticHair wrote:Diversity Hair:

Disco Pink, very hard to get it to seal, I use flat irons to seal, and I had to put them up to the max temperature (210 degrees) to get these to seal, which meant they weren't the softest dreads :/ and they were still easy to unravel. I've still got a packet of the hair left, going to have to use it very sparingly in blends as that's all I can think of to make it work.
Jazzys Brand Disco pink? Thats really odd, as Jazzy is normally completely fine.

AlphaBitch

Post by AlphaBitch » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:32 pm

diversityhair wrote: BHs colours are Lexy brand (or similar for the fantasy colours), Lexy Brand is PP. PP has a higher heat resistance than normal kanekalon and as such is harder to seal.
PP does not seal at all, right?
(at least once I got something that MELT instead of sealing...THAT was PP.)

but many of BH's colours seal perfectly, so I doubt they are all PP.

okay, some colours are, but definiately not even all the fantasy range, let alone the rest.

anyway they now have a warning for the problematic colors saying:
"PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS COLOUR HAS A TENDANCY NOT TO SEAL AS TIGHTLY AS OTHERS WHEN MAKING DREADS."

at least fantasy turquoise, light orchid, aquatic, and baby blue.
there are no warning on the rest of the shitty ones, though. :?

diversityhair

Post by diversityhair » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:03 am

AlphaBitch wrote:
diversityhair wrote: BHs colours are Lexy brand (or similar for the fantasy colours), Lexy Brand is PP. PP has a higher heat resistance than normal kanekalon and as such is harder to seal.
PP does not seal at all, right?
(at least once I got something that MELT instead of sealing...THAT was PP.)

but many of BH's colours seal perfectly, so I doubt they are all PP.

okay, some colours are, but definiately not even all the fantasy range, let alone the rest.

anyway they now have a warning for the problematic colors saying:
"PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS COLOUR HAS A TENDANCY NOT TO SEAL AS TIGHTLY AS OTHERS WHEN MAKING DREADS."

at least fantasy turquoise, light orchid, aquatic, and baby blue.
there are no warning on the rest of the shitty ones, though. :?
I know their supplier and it is PP, i think with the odd KK exception (as i said, alot of colours you cant get in KK unless you pay alot). PP varies in quality from good to terrible... it can be fine for dreads, its just a bit of a gamble. PP will seal with effort ;)

They sent me a message and said they were going to write that... not sure why they felt the need to tell me and not the whole forum.

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:22 am

I have heard that manufacturers in China are very rude and never accept the fact that the "customer is right", even when it's true.
Frankly, what they've been doing is false advertising. I guess because those sorts of laws are so loosely controlled there (like copyrights, where one product can be sold off by the manufacturer to another company who want to sell it cheaper etc), it's hard to make a point :(

PlasticHair

Post by PlasticHair » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:37 am

diversityhair wrote:
PlasticHair wrote:Diversity Hair:

Jazzys Brand Disco pink? Thats really odd, as Jazzy is normally completely fine.
Yeah, I know, it's a real pain, I've never had a bad colour yet.

Which on the other hand is a good thing as it's the only bad colour i've had from them.
Hopefully it's the only one.

AlphaBitch

Post by AlphaBitch » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:55 am

PP will seal with effort ;)
well, yeah, but won't really stay sealed and nice, that's what I mean by "seal".
it's not something I would sell, as I've realized they are hopeless, not even continuous re-sealing can save them.
so practically unless you don't wanna sell on shitty dreads, PP is not an option.
They sent me a message and said they were going to write that... not sure why they felt the need to tell me and not the whole forum.
strange indeed.

diversityhair

Post by diversityhair » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:11 pm

rivetlicker_ wrote:I have heard that manufacturers in China are very rude and never accept the fact that the "customer is right", even when it's true.
Frankly, what they've been doing is false advertising. I guess because those sorts of laws are so loosely controlled there (like copyrights, where one product can be sold off by the manufacturer to another company who want to sell it cheaper etc), it's hard to make a point :(
The ones im dealing with are lovely, but the language barrier makes things a little difficult. Working on something though, which may change things soon :)

divin3_inf3kt

Post by divin3_inf3kt » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:06 pm

BH Royal purple
BH Light Fantasy Orchid
BH Snow white
BH Black - every now and again , though the last batch I got is a different texture and doesn't seem so bad.
BH Fantasy Turquoise
BH Funky Turquoise
And BH Blueberry.

I have ordered dark purple from DreamGirl from a seller on Ebay , and I've heard it's good to work with , so *fingers crossed*

AlphaBitch

Post by AlphaBitch » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:44 pm

snow white has been fine with me so far.
or did you mean SNOWY white?
I can remember dare2wear once complaining about that shade.

Return to “Synthetic Dreadlocks”