Colours we all hate

dare2wear

Re: Colours we all hate

Post by dare2wear » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:58 am

°«Belle»° wrote:I know this is a thread of BAAAAD hair to work with but which would you say is the best/ your fave? A good hair for noob's to use... I've had a go at making a few dreads in the past but always with cheap hair that I grabbed from a store near where I live. When I didn't succeed I blamed the hair but I've nothing to compare it to so I might just be rubbish at backcombing! Haha.
any colour from Sensationnel is good.

tazzyface

Post by tazzyface » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:31 pm

dare2wear wrote:people lately keep listing colours that has no problem at all, this thread is getting confusing for me.
I think it depends on personal technique really. I have had trouble sealing some colours with a clothes iron (my usual method) but success with a steamer, for example. Some colours seem to be batch dependant too =/
More human than human

Ice_Pick_Abortions

Post by Ice_Pick_Abortions » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:52 pm

dare2wear wrote:
Ice_Pick_Abortions wrote:WDK violet. yuck yuck yuck..
WDK violet: backcoms well, seals like a dream. colour on the bottom of the pic.
can't say i've ever had much fun with this colour. i can get good dreads out of it but it's a goddamn battle! it's mainly the back combing that sucks for me
"I have had many troubles, most of which never happened." - Mark Twain
"Let us not love with words or tongue, but with actions and in truth."

In the ranks of the Indecisive Army..

cypherlox

Post by cypherlox » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:01 am

100% Kankalon Jumbo Braid:
I personally hate black n' gold - it's short, very straight, and hard to backbrush. My favorite to work with is Modu - it back brushes easy, seals tightly if you are using steam, and the hair is longer than most brands, great for making longer dreads.
CypherLOX.com
Visit us on Facebook!
Visit us on Myspace!
Follow us on Twitter!

Cypherlox.com - Custom Falls & Extensions, Hair Making Supplies, Hair Dye, Goggles, Fuzzy Boot Covers and more!

Morgana

Post by Morgana » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:21 am

I'll have to join in and say buyhairs rose, old rose and aquatic. Whitest white is also quite shitty, once I got several bags that smelled really bad of chemicals and it was really disgusting working with it.

But I must say that since I changed my normal steam iron with a professional one, it's got easier to use many of buyhairs colours that I had problems with earlier.

I usually love L.A Trend, but I do hate their #613. It's brittle and the dreads always come out soft, no matter how long time I spend sealing them!
http://www.madamelepink.com - Hair extensions and unique accessories

Haylum

Post by Haylum » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:28 am

At the moment I'm hating LA Trend's jet black. It back combs and seals really nicely but there doesn't seem to be much hair in the packets and it shrinks loads when I steam it. I've had to throw a few transitionals away because it looked like I'd used far too mch of the second colour just because the black shrunk so much :|
Haggis McNoodle Synthetic Dreadlocks

Unmentioned Secret Lovechild of the Blue Army and Red Rebellion

skymistress

Post by skymistress » Fri May 01, 2009 10:29 pm

dare2wear wrote:BHs Fantasy SnowY White, Light Orchid, Rose. I still have some unopened bags, they wont seal AT ALL and it pisses me off!!!
Eek... glad I decided against ordering the BH Snowy White... Modu Black is superb at sealing and backcombing :P I haven't experienced any other colors yet that have not sealed or backcombed properly.

Thank you for starting this topic! Very helpful!

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Sat May 02, 2009 8:42 pm

dare2wear wrote:
°«Belle»° wrote:I know this is a thread of BAAAAD hair to work with but which would you say is the best/ your fave? A good hair for noob's to use... I've had a go at making a few dreads in the past but always with cheap hair that I grabbed from a store near where I live. When I didn't succeed I blamed the hair but I've nothing to compare it to so I might just be rubbish at backcombing! Haha.
any colour from Sensationnel is good.
The medium purple from Sensationnel is horrible! Well the ones I got anyway. Way less hair in the bag, had a waxy texture, didn't seal too well, but everything else is a thumbs up!
skymistress wrote:
dare2wear wrote:BHs Fantasy SnowY White, Light Orchid, Rose. I still have some unopened bags, they wont seal AT ALL and it pisses me off!!!
Eek... glad I decided against ordering the BH Snowy White... Modu Black is superb at sealing and backcombing :P I haven't experienced any other colors yet that have not sealed or backcombed properly.

Thank you for starting this topic! Very helpful!
I've been getting the sh*tty batches of modu black! *Sigh*

cypherlox

Post by cypherlox » Sun May 03, 2009 4:05 pm

I have no problem with the Modu black :) That is what I use all the time and I think it seals nice and tight, and I don't really have a problem backcombing it. Janet and Zury are not bad either, they seem to have about the same texture and have that "dryness" to it, but I like how the Modu shrinks up and seals nicely. Any hair that has less "kink" or is more of a silky straight is a nightmare. xx
CypherLOX.com
Visit us on Facebook!
Visit us on Myspace!
Follow us on Twitter!

Cypherlox.com - Custom Falls & Extensions, Hair Making Supplies, Hair Dye, Goggles, Fuzzy Boot Covers and more!

Sophrodisiac

Post by Sophrodisiac » Sun May 03, 2009 4:30 pm

Haylum wrote:At the moment I'm hating LA Trend's jet black. It back combs and seals really nicely but there doesn't seem to be much hair in the packets and it shrinks loads when I steam it. I've had to throw a few transitionals away because it looked like I'd used far too mch of the second colour just because the black shrunk so much :|
i've had that problem too, i've found i need to use more of that colour to make a single dread than most other colours i've used. Rather annoying.
I like bubbles.. :)
Dread it and Rave
SOPHI BUBBLE =)

IKickShins

Post by IKickShins » Sun May 03, 2009 11:20 pm

I've had a lot of problems with Modu black, too, so I don't buy it at all anymore. My favorite black now is Bobbi Boss; it's kind of similar to good batches of Zury.
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

Squidgy

Post by Squidgy » Wed May 06, 2009 9:38 pm

some of my packs of BH purple black had a 'film' on them like a small amount of vaseline or something yuk! i found i could backcomb it in the end but only after testing every comb i could buy, strange stuff. if it was the first colour i ever used i think i would have given up with dreads
Yep, had the exact same problem.. but the dreads did look gawjus once I got them all done!!
"I don't follow no religion, bow to the DJ, worship the riddum!!" ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬

Jenna_Cide

Post by Jenna_Cide » Sun May 17, 2009 4:01 pm

I bought a pack of turquoise in a beauty supply store (I think it was BH, but I don't remember and no longer have the package), and that hair WOULD NOT SEAL. :evil:
:)

sammu

Post by sammu » Mon May 18, 2009 12:58 am

Jenna_Cide wrote:I bought a pack of turquoise in a beauty supply store (I think it was BH, but I don't remember and no longer have the package), and that hair WOULD NOT SEAL. :evil:
I thought Buyhair was only available on the Buyhair website? 0_o (Either way I've had no issue sealing their old or new Turquoise because I pretty much use them constantly).

Aside from BH Light Orchid UV, I can't think of any that won't seal for me. LA Trend Black breaks, and I cannot for the life of me backcomb it any thicker than 1cm, no matter how much hair I use... Typically it's the only Black I get sent. :roll:

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Mon May 18, 2009 10:32 am

CirqueMachine wrote:
Jenna_Cide wrote:I bought a pack of turquoise in a beauty supply store (I think it was BH, but I don't remember and no longer have the package), and that hair WOULD NOT SEAL. :evil:
I thought Buyhair was only available on the Buyhair website? 0_o (Either way I've had no issue sealing their old or new Turquoise because I pretty much use them constantly).

Aside from BH Light Orchid UV, I can't think of any that won't seal for me. LA Trend Black breaks, and I cannot for the life of me backcomb it any thicker than 1cm, no matter how much hair I use... Typically it's the only Black I get sent. :roll:
I brought Buyhair stuff from a beauty supply store before, at 1 and a half times the price on the website.... :shock:

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:36 pm

Modu/Anytime dark lavender (purple on the packet). WILL NOT SEAL TIGHT!!! Spent around 10 minutes on each dread, trying to get it tightly sealed, but it wouldn't! I'll try another seal when they're dry.

cherrybombdreads

Post by cherrybombdreads » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:50 pm

White!
Ahhhhh mine came out all lumpy and it just wouldn't do what i wanted it to >.<
http://www.cherrybombdreads.webs.com High Quality Roving and Synthetic Dreads!

sky_high

Post by sky_high » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:59 am

There's this crap called rastafri afrelle or some shit like that, I got it in white and I CANNOT SEAL IT. I worked on a dread for ten minutes seriously, and it didnt seal at ALL.

It was so slimy and weird feeling blehh.

tazzyface

Post by tazzyface » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:49 am

rivetlicker_ wrote:Modu/Anytime dark lavender (purple on the packet). WILL NOT SEAL TIGHT!!! Spent around 10 minutes on each dread, trying to get it tightly sealed, but it wouldn't! I'll try another seal when they're dry.
I'm having a similar problem with Modu/Anytime neon violet (cyclamen on the pack). It backcombs so nicely, but it's not sealing tightly and doesn't feel as 'stiff' as my other dreads. I'm sure another seal will set it straight but it's still annoying :lol:

RastAfri has such beautiful colours but damn it's annoying to work with...
More human than human

Mkatsi

Post by Mkatsi » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:26 am

Rastafari's Orange...oh god. It took forever to backcomb, I was spending 20-30 mins on each DE and it just wont seal right! Its so loose,no matter how hard I try; and when I curled the dreads I'd made, they got looser still! I'm hoping they'll man up a little with wear.
It does hold curl ridiculously well for some reason though, had to stretch them all out into a better shape.

SyNNy+SuKKupyre

Post by SyNNy+SuKKupyre » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:07 am

XxDigitalDolliexX wrote:Modu Emerald Green
sucks ballz!
:evil: :twisted:
Thank you!
I ordered 20 bags to make a kit for a friend of super long Emerald DEs and I have had to settle for whatever the hell comes out of it.

Im so scared to start sealing that I will just lose my mind if they don't seal right.

2 hours to back brush one DE is just RETARDED to me! I can usually back brush 2 bags in like 3 hours ><

And it backbrushes super un even I end up pulling more hair out than is left on the dread :evil:

OT Is it really true that Modu is the only company that makes emerald?
I am thinking I may have to order some more hair and eventually make some more dreads to replace the super crappy ones in the kit :i15:
Psylita Sukkubus
Keeping things uniquely odd since '91

bluexeon

Post by bluexeon » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:13 am

ive just done buyhair's turquoise. Horrible to backcomb and seal. Ive steamed it 3 times and hair dryered it twice and its still soft.

Jenna_Cide

Post by Jenna_Cide » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:59 am

Has anyone worked with Doctored Locks' Gold (144), Fall Colors Mix (39R6), Strawberry/Platinum (S27/613), or Light Medium Brown (12)?
Slightly off topic I know, but any problems with those?
:)

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:42 am

Jenna_Cide wrote:Has anyone worked with Doctored Locks' Gold (144), Fall Colors Mix (39R6), Strawberry/Platinum (S27/613), or Light Medium Brown (12)?
Slightly off topic I know, but any problems with those?
I believe the fall mix is BnG, I could be wrong.
Most of the hair that Doc sells is Zury, I think. Zury is rather nice to work with.

SyNNy+SuKKupyre

Post by SyNNy+SuKKupyre » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:35 pm

SyNNy+SuKKupyre wrote:
XxDigitalDolliexX wrote:Modu Emerald Green
sucks ballz!
:evil: :twisted:
Thank you!
I ordered 20 bags to make a kit for a friend of super long Emerald DEs and I have had to settle for whatever the hell comes out of it.

Im so scared to start sealing that I will just lose my mind if they don't seal right.

2 hours to back brush one DE is just RETARDED to me! I can usually back brush 2 bags in like 3 hours ><

And it backbrushes super un even I end up pulling more hair out than is left on the dread :evil:

OT Is it really true that Modu is the only company that makes emerald?
I am thinking I may have to order some more hair and eventually make some more dreads to replace the super crappy ones in the kit :i15:

I have to retract some of that after i found another comb it started to back brush a little easier and seals very stiffly but I still hate the stuff and have over 10 bags still to dread and realy not looking forward to ever making Emerald Green Dreadies ever again !
Psylita Sukkubus
Keeping things uniquely odd since '91

Return to “Synthetic Dreadlocks”