Steamer Recommendation Thread (for the UK)

Haylum

Re: Steamer Recommendation Thread (for the UK)

Post by Haylum » Sat May 09, 2009 8:27 am

I'm on my 4th steamer now, so I thought I'd add to this.

JML Steam Bee:

Works quite well even though it spits out hot water with the steam, which means I have to put loads of towels down when using it. Tank is very small so needs refilling quite often, but you don't need to wait for it to cool down before topping up. I've had two of these; the first one was second hand and stopped working after a few uses. The second one is still working but I've got it in storage as a back-up in case I ever can't get my main one replaced.

ProAction from Argos:

Worked really well until the element burnt out. Twice. The first one took a couple of months to burn out but the second one broke after one use. Bigger tank than the Bee but having to wait for it to cool down between uses seemed to take ages. I didn't have to put towels down when using this one. The pressure was really good and I got really solid dreads when using it. This one was probably the best one I've used so far but I'm not willing to keep taking it back for a replacement every few weeks.

Earlex SC75:

I decided to give up on the hand-held steamers and get one with a much bigger tank. I thought this would have good steam pressure but it was rubbish. Took twice as long to seal dreads as the ProAction and left the room smelling strange. There's no trigger on this and the steam eventually fills up the room and leaves it feeling very humid. Also, the element is stupidly placed so that it's left without water coverage way before the tank is empty. The nozzle is rubbish and hot water collects in the nooks so that when you twist it to steam from a different angle you end up getting burned. Broke after two uses. Oh, and it was butt ugly ;)

Morphy Richards 70455:

This is the one I'm using now and I love it. The steam pressure's quite good even though it's not as strong as the ProAction. I get nice, solid dreads out of this steamer and it seals quite quickly. The nozzle doesn't drip hot water on me and the tube leading from the steamer itself stays relatively cool. Unfortunately this doesn't have a trigger, which I would say is its only negative feature, so I do have to put a towel down and be careful which direction I leave the nozzle pointing when I'm not holding it. Even though it emits steam constantly, it doesn't fill the room up like the Earlex did. I've only had it for a couple of weeks but I've been using it quite frequently so I will update if this one breaks any time soon.
Haggis McNoodle Synthetic Dreadlocks

Unmentioned Secret Lovechild of the Blue Army and Red Rebellion

Ailema

Post by Ailema » Sun May 10, 2009 7:41 pm

I've never had a steamer before, and as a student, I'm after cheap and cheery. I have my eye on this model: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0419212359

Anyone got any idea how good they are? What's the best experience you've all had with cheap but good steamers?

Myz_Succubus

Post by Myz_Succubus » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:59 pm

Still searching for the ultimate steamer guys - any new reviews etc - thinking of blowing £85 on this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Homepure-GS7U-C ... 110&sr=1-1

or any other ideas?

faeriedreads

Post by faeriedreads » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:07 pm

I'm currently using the prolectrix steamer too =) Got it for £15, and had it for months now, been pretty good! Does need re-filling probably every 3-5 dreads, but I just take the top off, fill it up and stand away while it spits for a bit, then continue filling. Much quicker, but can sometimes burn when the spits hit you.. I'm just too impatient!

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:28 pm

Pfft, I got rid of my steamer & have recently bought KK, so thought of various ways to seal my dreads & can't. The only feasible way to me, is to steam em.....so am considering the Vax handheld steam cleaner V-084BR. It's £50 in Sainsbury's apparently. I've read reviews & it seems to do the job, steamer wise. so, here's hoping....I guess :D
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

Myz_Succubus

Post by Myz_Succubus » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:11 pm

Just bought the Homepure Fabric & Garment steamer and it's awesome for dreads!!! Also awesome for never having to iron clothes ever again - I am one very happy bunny :D

CherryLex

Post by CherryLex » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:53 pm

^that's exactly why I love using a garment steamer. Ironing clothes can go straight to h-e-double-hockey-sticks.
Invader blood marches through my veins like radio active rubber pants!
THE PANTS COMMAND ME!!!
Do not ignore my veins!

Miss_Panda

Post by Miss_Panda » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:21 pm

Im looking for a good steamer..now i have used the Electrolux Envirosteamer Z355 Steam Cleaner.
and this one (link below)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1050W-HAND-HELD-P ... 45f6999eb4

and they've both broke on me -_- what would you suggest me getting? I was having a look on argos and saw this http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... LEANER.htm
but not sure if it would be any good..I'm going to be makeing a large dread kit so don't want it to brake on me half way through, is there any hand held steamers that will last? and are good value for money as i don't have a lot to spend. I'm in the UK so only suggest steamers in the UK please ^^

Just saw this on Ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-HAND-HELD-STE ... 2eb0caf676
but not sure if i should trust buying them off ebay in case they brake.
Miss Panda - Paint The World In Neon Colours

The Black and White Army = Panda "Salute me Solider"

filthy_dreads

Post by filthy_dreads » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:03 pm

i just wanted to buy prolectrix steamer but ppl from the shop didn't want to ship to poland:/

i don't know what to do now, i've bought one long time ago it was h2o something and it sucks- now i want new, better one and the problem is living in poland
open to custom orders!

http://www.facebook.com/filthy.dreads

emmyk89

Post by emmyk89 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:33 pm

DreadstarMonstar wrote:Pfft, I got rid of my steamer & have recently bought KK, so thought of various ways to seal my dreads & can't. The only feasible way to me, is to steam em.....so am considering the Vax handheld steam cleaner V-084BR. It's £50 in Sainsbury's apparently. I've read reviews & it seems to do the job, steamer wise. so, here's hoping....I guess :D
Hey, did u get this steamer in the end?

Im after one aswell now, this one on ebay looks ok but im not sure as i cant find many reviews on it! http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT
or the new bush one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

:)

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:36 pm

I did. It gets super duper hot. It was a bit leaky through the nozzle to start off with. much, much better than the cheap one I had before.
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

emmyk89

Post by emmyk89 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:38 pm

Ahh reet how longs it lasted u so far? Acnd it is pretty good at sealing the KK that needs a higher temp to seal?
UPDATE: i also got the vax steamer (the orange one) and its pretty good :) got it for £10 on ebay bargain! and hardly used. Still works after a week :P

Yordan

Post by Yordan » Fri May 20, 2011 6:15 pm

Sorry to drag this thread up guys but I thought you'd appreciate it rather than me making my own pointless thread.
I have a little handheld steamer from argos, a bush one that was recommended on here a while ago. It's great but it does make very fuzzy dreads and it's starting to get on my nerves, I'm thinking about getting a more expensive one that will do the job 10times better, any recommendations? What do people use now?
Why should I wake when I'm half past dead?

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Fri May 20, 2011 6:32 pm

Yordan, are you using the cloth attachment which comes with the steamer? When I used to make twisted dreads I found that using the attachment gave very sleek and smooth dreads. Just keep in mind that the cloth will become very soggy with extended peroids of use and will effect the steam.

diversityhair

Post by diversityhair » Fri May 20, 2011 7:16 pm

Halfords do a simple hand held steamer in black, similar quality to the old electrolux one i had, only downside is that the water tank is smaller, but it was only £29 and works well.
http://www.diversityhair.co.uk - NEW SITE 20/06/11
Hair Extensions, Hairdressing and Supplies
http://twitter.com/Jenna_Diversity - Twitter for site updates and everything else
http://www.facebook.com/diversityhair - Diversity Hair facebook page for updates on products, photos etc.

Yordan

Post by Yordan » Sat May 21, 2011 2:19 am

I'll try and get down to a halford and have a look, no idea where one is here.

I was using the cloth attachment but I found it rubbish, but it must have been where it was getting soggy, if I went over my fuzzy dreads with the cloth would that help? I'll have a try in the morning.
Thanks for the help :)

FaerieGirl

pRe: Steamer Recommendation Thread (for t

Post by FaerieGirl » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:15 pm

I just bought the PROlectrix handheld steamer. I totally love it. It took me a few dreads to get used to it, as I used the flat iron metyod before, but it's working like a charm now!
Taking over the world, one cupcake at a time. http://www.facebook.com/pages/CausticCu ... 7885476928
CURRENTLY TAKING ORDERS

Odonata

Post by Odonata » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:03 pm

Haylum wrote:I'm on my 4th steamer now, so I thought I'd add to this.

ProAction from Argos:

Worked really well until the element burnt out. Twice. The first one took a couple of months to burn out but the second one broke after one use. Bigger tank than the Bee but having to wait for it to cool down between uses seemed to take ages. I didn't have to put towels down when using this one. The pressure was really good and I got really solid dreads when using it. This one was probably the best one I've used so far but I'm not willing to keep taking it back for a replacement every few weeks.
your post was SOOOOO helpful. i have only just started making dreads, i made one set in late 2009 and then nothing for a year while i planed and sewed EVERYTHING for my wedding i now am living in London and have made one set here- the first set i made turned our pretty good i spent a lot of time on them to get them right - the second set need resealing but i think i got a lil lazy on the backcombing - both sets have been hip length . anyway i am now going to make a set to braid in .. i use a flat iron but have been thinking about getting a steamer -
do you think for a first timer with a steamer the ProAction is a good steamer? i only make dreads for myself and will likely only be making a max of 3 sets between now and the end of the year -

tokyovogue

Post by tokyovogue » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:50 am

Where Is the best place to get a steamer? Argos online doesn't really have much and I'm looking for something reasonable priced to start off with.

Black-Sunshine

Post by Black-Sunshine » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:05 pm

I brought the Bush SC155H from Argos a couple of weeks ago and I am really happy with it so far

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... LEANER.htm

Anyone else used/ use this one?
http://www.blacksunshineiow.etsy.com Handmade Dreads, hair bows, necklaces, bags & more!

http://www.blacksunshineiow.com

Yordan

Post by Yordan » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:26 am

Yeah I've used that one, and it is now dead, less than a year :( but that's cos of the hard water here.

I ordered the one from amazon, it should be here by tues/weds, can't wait to try it out! Need to make my dreads for bloodstock!

fairytale

Post by fairytale » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:16 pm

Hi :)
Wanted to know of any decent hand steamers around at the moment? Preferably with a trigger. I'm not steaming dreads, I'm steaming curls, so basically the same thing,using KK.

mona_me

Post by mona_me » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:35 am

I decided to buy steamer, but can not find anything on ebay less then 100$!! Maybe somebody can tell where to buy cheaper steamer with worldwide shipping?

Return to “Synthetic Dreadlocks”