Help with curlies

fröst

Help with curlies

Post by fröst » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:22 pm

I was doing some brown curlies. first I used a skinny little pole with tinfoil on it and the spirals were perfect. next to make a larger spiral i used a broom pole with tinfoil wrapped on it and the spiral was horrible and wonky. I followed the tutorial on the net.. but it didnt help to achieve a larger spiral. Any tips? I wrapped the dread really close should i space it father appart? any tips? :i2:

Meya

Re: Help with curlies

Post by Meya » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:26 am

When I made my set of curlies I used a 1 inch diameter dowel (probably close to a broomstick), and I twisted them really tight because I was trying to get the entire set on this one stick. I wasn't successful at that, but the spiral was great. I was securing them with rubberbands too, btw. I used a good bit of boiling water on them, let them cool a few minutes and then went back over them with cool water so I could move them to the shower to dry. I left them outside the next day to completely dry out.

I made the mistake of removing my first few curlies when they were still damp, and they had to be re-curled. That was actually okay, though because they were longer than the rest of the set and needed a tighter curl anyway.

Hope this helps at least a little.

Biostar

Post by Biostar » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:23 pm

Perm rollers! I got a ton from when I worked at a salon, you can get really fat ones and they usually have a piece on them that clips and holds the dreads (or hair) on them. Pile all your dreads once on rollers into a bowl and pour boiling water from a kettle on them. Pull them out, let them dry and remove from rollers.

But this reallllllly depends on length of the dreads. Too long and they wont fit on one roller unless you can find super perm rollers that are uber big.. =(
Works well and seals amazingly.

cherrybombdreads

Post by cherrybombdreads » Fri May 29, 2009 12:36 pm

I wrap mine around a drumstick!
The other half hates me for it as they are his drum sticks, but i end up with pretty hair :D
http://www.cherrybombdreads.webs.com High Quality Roving and Synthetic Dreads!

snapaxle

Post by snapaxle » Sat May 30, 2009 9:21 pm

I just recurled some of my curlies, and noticed that I wasn't careful about laying the curlies down WITH the twist they already had from being previously sealed, they would turn into funny, almost squared-looking things. That might be part of the problem =D

Return to “Synthetic Dreadlocks”