hair getting darker after sealing? O.o -PIC-

OddOzz

hair getting darker after sealing? O.o -PIC-

Post by OddOzz » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:45 am

Hi y'all. I'm in the process of making my first set. I'm actually making them in one of the no seal wrappy styles but I wanted to go ahead and seal them anyways, ya know, for added durability or some such.

I'm doing the boiling water method with rasta's sweet red(which if i'd reliezed was gonna be that silky I probably would have go.e with something else XD) So far iv done a few test seals on some of the test dreads. It wasn't to obvious at first but now that iv got a few more backcombed it is very obvious that the sealed dreads are a shade or two darker than the unsealed ones.

I just don't know if this is normal or not. Im a bit worried that iv burnt them by putting them directly in the pot of boiling water rather than transferring the water to something else(ie. not a metal pot directly out of the fire) first or something like that, they don't feel crunchy though.

so yeah, are they suppose to do that? o.O?

PIC
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l265/ ... EuanBn.jpg
Top sealed, bottom not.
Last edited by OddOzz on Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

sammu

Re: hair getting darker after sealing? O.o is it supposed to

Post by sammu » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:29 am

I find that when dreads are wet, the water retained in them make it darker. When they're fully dry their colour comes back, though often a lot of the "shininess" is dulled.

OddOzz

Re: hair getting darker after sealing? O.o is it supposed to

Post by OddOzz » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:32 am

unfortunately they are most certaintly dry by now. I initially sealed them Thursday afternoon, and noticed the difference friday before I left for work. Now that iv finally gotten back I noticed they are still diffrent.

They are certaintly less shiny though XD I'll try and get a pic in daylight tomarrow. I suppose I could just be overly sensitive, wouldn't be the first time(you should see me try to find the least warped que at the pool hall XP)

Technome

Re: hair getting darker after sealing? O.o -PIC-

Post by Technome » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:03 am

Okay so, this happened to me too.

I'm no expert or anything, I'm still practicing, but I was working with Emerald Green and Midnight Blue I think it was. And I boil my kettle and pour the water over them. They got SUPER dark, the midnight blue was almost black it was so dark. I figured it was just the water in them, but then they weren't getting better. They were still ridiculously dark a week after I'd sealed them.

SO, like you, I thought maybe I was burning them. I still have no idea if this is possible but the fact is, when I used my fancy kettle and set the water temperature to around 195 - 208 instead of boiling (my other kettle has no settings it just goes straight to 212) they dried out a few days later and went back to their proper colours. The first dreads are still really dark and most certainly dry by now, its been like a month.

So I would let your dreads dry for about a week and see if they return to their colour, if they don't i recommend not letting your water come to a full boil.

SammiiSynthetic

Re: hair getting darker after sealing? O.o -PIC-

Post by SammiiSynthetic » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:01 am

Huh that is true... (worked with that color a couple times)
Mm, I guess cause it makes the hair more compacted together, which then makes a lot less light to go through them, making them appear darker. (Same thing generally with dry vs wet real hair)
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sammiissynthetics

http://www.facebook.com/SammiisSynthetics

I make synthetic dreads c:

I'm accepting custom orders!

Return to “Synthetic Dreadlocks”