Mixing KK with other synthetics

juustojoki

Mixing KK with other synthetics

Post by juustojoki » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:54 pm

Hi everyone!

I was about to order some packs of KK to make my first synthetic dreads. I found exactly what I wanted and the prices were good, but the shipping turned out to be double the price of the actual order itself, so it turned out to be something like 100e for 12 packs of KK (expedited shipping + tracking number). The price for normal shipping was ok, but I will be leaving the country soon so I don't want to risk not receiving them before I leave.

I (surprisingly!) found a shop in my town that sells KK. I just called them and asked for prices (which were only a little bit higher than those on the site, so it's all good since there's no shipping or hassle), but they said that they don't have blonde in 100% KK (I wanted about half of my purchase to be different shades of blonde), but that they have blondes in other types of synthetic hair.

Assuming that the prices for the other synthetics would be good too, should I buy them?
Is it possible to mix different kinds of synthetics in one dread if I wish to sometimes blend the colors? I'm guessing that the other types might be more heat resistant (though she didn't specify what types they were; there was a bit of a language barrier but I got the gist of it), so would it still be possible to get a good dread if I blend them well enough and backcomb consistently?

Thanks!
"To set your mind free, you must first just listen. Don't waste your life on worthless hate and contradiction, don't you." - Nevermore, "A future Uncertain"

brandalynn

Re: Mixing KK with other synthetics

Post by brandalynn » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:42 pm

I wouldn't recommend it. The synthetic fiber won't seal as well as the kk and the synthetic will try to unravel, lowering the quality of the dreads. If you are looking for a quick set that you don't plan on lasting for a long while, the blend may be an acceptable option.
"Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes" --- bumper sticker---

juustojoki

Post by juustojoki » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:45 am

So... no amount of backcombing will work? :/ Damn... I hope I can find another place that sells them. Thanks!
"To set your mind free, you must first just listen. Don't waste your life on worthless hate and contradiction, don't you." - Nevermore, "A future Uncertain"

brandalynn

Post by brandalynn » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:41 pm

The backcombing isn't the issue. There are synthetic fibers that will backcomb beautifully but won't seal worth a damn. It will seem to seal at first, but will unravel/shed/loosen almost immediately. The synthetic fiber will also have a VERY plastic sheen to it that looks aweful.
"Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes" --- bumper sticker---

juustojoki

Post by juustojoki » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:27 pm

I don't mind the sheen too much, as long as the colors are subtle enough in combination... but yeah, sealing :( Damn. Oh well...

AlphaBitch

Post by AlphaBitch » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:41 am

well, it can work if you mix them like 1 part non-sealings to 10 part normally sealings.

Return to “Synthetic Dreadlocks”