install on reeeeeally short hair, less than 2” ?!

CandySecretion

install on reeeeeally short hair, less than 2” ?!

Post by CandySecretion » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:15 am

Hi all! So I've kind of noticed the board has been a bit quiet, which is a tad depressing as the forum has been such am informative and inspiring place :( I'm hoping I can still get some advice cause Im in a kind of hair rut. I think im posting in the right place, if not please feel free to move this.

Alright well, I had an 'incident' with some lightener a while ago, overestimated the integrity of my hair and had to chose to chop it all off and start fresh. Problem is that I absolutely hate it, can't style it either other than just brushing my side bits and fringe forward... Can't wear a hat because im not allowed to at school. I've had glue in extensions in but its such a hassle. Id prefer a dread installation but the back portion of my hair is only about an inch and a half...

I had the idea that if I took loose kk cut in half and used the short hair installation tute on doclocks site that itd 'extend' my natural hair to be long enough to install my dreads. Is that ridiculous? Could it work? Has anyone ever tried something like this before? Would it be better to try using DE or SE dreads??

Advice, suggestions, anything? Lol
Electronic Stimulation

danixdorko

Re: install on reeeeeally short hair, less than 2” ?!

Post by danixdorko » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:29 pm

As far as braiding goes, I would think you're out of luck, but when my hair was short I used this method to install:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yedmFaEJt7E

I did find that this needed a bit more upkeep, I had to redo them a few times just to keep them tight, but my hair is stupidly soft and doesn't like to stay in place. I'd say it's definitely worth a shot though if you dislike your style right now. :) As the video shows I'd say your best bet would probably be DE, as I can't think of a way to secure SE in with such a short length.

I hope you figure something out!!
-Indecisive Army-

Sunshine Button.

CandySecretion

Re: install on reeeeeally short hair, less than 2” ?!

Post by CandySecretion » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:44 pm

Yeah that was the video I was referring to, only I was thinking about using loose kk in place of the dread, securing with an elastic band, folding the loose hair back over and securing with another elastic, and then using the loose kk to blanket stitch braid the DE dread on. Pretty site ill have to redo it a few times as my hair grows which is fine, and I only plan to install on the top of my head, the hair towards my nape is only about an inch long...
Electronic Stimulation

Return to “Synthetic Dreadlocks”