Preparing hair for synthetic dreads

Nixivix

Preparing hair for synthetic dreads

Post by Nixivix » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:59 pm

I've had a read around and found lots of really helpful posts but none to answer my specific questions, so I'll get straight to the point.
I'm having my first set of synth dreads installed in the next few days and I just wondered how is best to prepare my hair.
1. do i use a clarifying shampoo on the day or just not wash at all? (to prevent dreads and elastics slipping)
2. do i condition?
3. I plan on dying my hair today/ tomorrow, will that affect how well my dreads stay in once installed?
Any other general tips

~Nixi

volksblues

Re: Preparing hair for synthetic dreads

Post by volksblues » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:35 pm

i think generally people say not to use conditioner before your install but i think that depends on your hair type. i think the idea is that you don't want it silky smooth because that can make it harder to control. i think a clarifying shampoo/gentle shampoo the night before would work.

personally, i went "no poo" the weeks before i installed my dreads. my reasoning was that i have very fine hair and i was shampooing it every day and it was STILL getting so oily. i didn't want my scalp and roots to become oily quickly when i had my dreads in. so i wanted to eliminate shampoo in hopes that my scalp would reset itself and get less oily less quickly. i also was having an issue with dandruff and some breaking out under my hair and around my hairline so i wanted to eliminate chemicals and styling products to see if that helped. i'm SO GLAD i decided to go "no poo"!! i kind of followed this article: http://thehairpin.com/2011/04/how-to-qu ... disgusting my regimen was 1 tbsp baking soda to one cup of water (in a squirt bottle. i used maybe 1/4 of it each shower. and then followed that with a lemon juice/water rinse and washed that out in coldish water. my hair has never felt better or healthier!! since you are installing in a few days this might not be enough time for you if it's something your interested in. but i find going "no poo" to be really compatible with wearing dreads!

however everyone's hair type is different so it can take time to find out what recipes/rinses work well for you.

this livejournal community is also very helpful: http://no-poo.livejournal.com/
Steph's Custom Crochet: Etsy // Facebook
I am open to trades! Show me what you have (dreads/headbands/clothes/dread accessories) and if you have something I fancy I will trade you for a custom piece!

Return to “Synthetic Dreadlocks”