Sealing idea...would this work?

CypressTree

Sealing idea...would this work?

Post by CypressTree » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:33 am

I was looking through steaming methods and was pretty disappointed. A steamer is outside my budget, flat iron sounds a bit clumsy and fidgety...but I did think of something else. A friend of mine as something similar to a hair dryer, except much hotter. I think it might be called a heat gun, but that's probably my nerdy brain making up something vaguely scifi.

Anyway, I thought I could do something similar to the flat iron method- drape a wet cloth across the dread, then blast it with the heat gun. Would it work? Would I ruin my dreads, or seal them effectively, simply, and relatively quickly?

rivetlicker_

Re: Sealing idea...would this work?

Post by rivetlicker_ » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:30 am

I've tried the heat gun. It was a Makita. Even on the lowest setting, it was still way too high haha. Burnt to a crisp!
I don't think that would work as it would take a while to heat the water in the cloth to steam, if at all and you're more likely to burn yourself. I've copped a second degree burn on my arm from knocking over a just used heat gun (250˚C metal + skin = sizzle). Those things are bloody dangerous!!!
There are plenty of steamers on the market that are specifically fitted to the budget of a hobbyist dread maker.

CypressTree

Post by CypressTree » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:48 pm

Darn, I thought it might work...Ah well, I'll just have to look for a steamer; I've heard all the affordable ones are crap >_< Thanks for the advice!

Miss Liberty

Post by Miss Liberty » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:57 pm

Heat guns tend to get so hot, I would think you would burn your hands while twisting.

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:42 pm

1000W ones aren't that bad. You just have to only use them when the light is off.

pinkbeautykiller

Post by pinkbeautykiller » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:40 am

CypressTree wrote:Darn, I thought it might work...Ah well, I'll just have to look for a steamer; I've heard all the affordable ones are crap >_< Thanks for the advice!
i got mine for 20$ i think and its great. Well when i used it it was l0l i burnt myself and haven't used it since, i got it off amazon.If i can find it 'll send you the link...*goes to look. A minute later* found it! its actually 30$(without s+h) http://www.amazon.com/Multi-Purpose-Pre ... 95&sr=8-40

you can also use a flat iron to seal dreads.

NirvanaMarie

Post by NirvanaMarie » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:33 pm

Have you considered sealing with an iron?

AnarchoFett

Post by AnarchoFett » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:26 am

I use a garment iron as doctored locks says and it works really well. They have tutorials on their site how to seal this way and I bet you have all the materials on hand already ^^^
A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having -V

Return to “Synthetic Dreadlocks”