What are crocheted naturals and is there a tut?

angelsandfaes

What are crocheted naturals and is there a tut?

Post by angelsandfaes » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:02 pm

Hello, I was wondering what "crocheted naturals" are (the ones that every one is talking about here in the synthetic dreadlock section) I'm assuming they are made with synthetic hair? KK? Or something else?

And they are done using a tiny crochet hook method. Is that correct?

I did a search and couldn't find an actual definition of "crocheted naturals" seen the pics posted and they are awesome!

Could someone break this down for me and are there any actual tutorials for doing this on synthetic hair?

Thanks everyone! :i2:

IKickShins

Re: What are crocheted naturals and is there a tut?

Post by IKickShins » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:19 pm

I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

CryptiquesBizarre

Post by CryptiquesBizarre » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:53 pm

Are there any tutorials specifically on crocheting though? I know the first one shows you but I've tried this and the hair popped back out. >>; I'm so confused by this... I get the backcombing portion but the actual crocheting part I'm not fully understanding.... and I think that's what gets most people. I've seen videos of girls basically stabbing their dread to death but because of the quality of webcams, you just see a blur of a hand. Plus, there's no slow-mo closeups.... ><!

CryptiquesBizarre

Post by CryptiquesBizarre » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:06 pm

Just ran across this site...
http://www.dreadheadhq.com/make_dreadlo ... heting.php
Does anyone have thoughts on the validity? So far, the person seems very knowledgeable.

Edit: At least on that part of the site, as I'm looking now, it's suggesting methods I've read on here that are MAJOR no nos... and it seems the first part was all just a boost for the AMAZING tool. :roll:

IKickShins

Post by IKickShins » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:34 pm

The first, fourth, and fifth links are specifically about crocheting. The second and third are other methods for making natural style dreads.
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

angelsandfaes

Post by angelsandfaes » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:53 am

Thank you! I have a hook so i am going to give this a try with some KK and see how it turns out. Wish me luck!

LanaDarkess

Post by LanaDarkess » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:33 pm

I've been looking for a detailed crotcheting tutorial everywhere, and I'm glad someone posted this question.

The cornrows link posted, I tried that out on backcombed and 'braided' (we call it 'plaiting' here in Aus) KK, and it turned out pretty well.

I've been trying to make some similar to Ls7's, and I also used her first comment in this album of hers http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 029&type=1 to help me along.
My best friend is a man
With a labcoat and a grin
I hold my shaking hand
And he gives me medicine.

http://www.facebook.com/ElizabethPirchmoserPage

angelsandfaes

Post by angelsandfaes » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:04 am

I have found that when you insert the hook your best bet is to go through and out the other side so when you pull your hook back you are pulling hair into the dread. Just don't pull the hook back out of the dread as often as you push through and pull hair into the dread. That way its not pulling hair out as much as its pulling hair into the center. I hope that makes some kind of sense. Lol

balanz

Post by balanz » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:12 pm

LanaDarkess wrote:I've been looking for a detailed crotcheting tutorial everywhere, and I'm glad someone posted this question.

The cornrows link posted, I tried that out on backcombed and 'braided' (we call it 'plaiting' here in Aus) KK, and it turned out pretty well.

I've been trying to make some similar to Ls7's, and I also used her first comment in this album of hers http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 029&type=1 to help me along.
When you use Ls7's instructions, how do you go about braiding the backcombed hair? Are you literally pulling apart the hair into three chunks or starting with 3 smaller chunks of hair, backcombing them, and braiding into one?

Return to “Synthetic Dreadlocks”