Updo's for long freaking synths

Takthehideousnewgirl

Updo's for long freaking synths

Post by Takthehideousnewgirl » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:04 am

Hokay, so finally got my synths in, last night but now I'm going to have trouble showering and stuff. FAIL. My problem is; They are pretty long. They are anywhere from the middle of my back to my waist and layered, the longest being closest to the bottom of my scalp and they are really thick. I'm having trouble getting them up out of my face and off my back and neck, whether it's usuing the dreads themselves to form a pony or a scarf, so if you guys could give me some suggustions, I'd be really grateful! Thanks!

NirvanaMarie

Re: Updo's for long freaking synths

Post by NirvanaMarie » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:44 pm

I usually use a combination of the giant elastic(the ones people use as head bands) with a claw clip. I haven't had mine that long though, mine are usually bust length.

faeriedreads

Post by faeriedreads » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:48 am

I've seen somewhere else on this forum that tying up with string helps! Not tried myself yet though..

VixenSingsBlack

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:11 pm

Check out the tut by the question "How do I wear my hair up?" on this page--> http://www.vixensingsblack.com/Guide/Install.html

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:08 pm

I've used string to tie mine up into a ponytail (or buns when I'm washing my scalp/neck), as my naturals are really thick and long like you said, a couple reach my bum! I find it hard to squish them all into an elastic, even with just a mohawks worth of dreads. So tying them up with yarn or stretchy cord or ribbon is easier!

One of the easiest ways I've found to get them out of my face for a bit is to just grab some of the ones in front on either side and tie them together loosely behind your head. You can do it without looking, no elastics/string/anything required. It keeps them from dangling in your face and holds all the others back as well.

like this:

Also, I really like doing two pigtails on either side, which I think is a cute look for synths of any length and it helps keep them off your neck when it gets all sweaty and hot and itchy :lol: . I usually leave the first couple rows loose, then the rest I split into two. I use the interlocking bobbles most of the time because its much easier that trying to push all that hair through an elastic! Sometimes when its in two pigtails it pulls on my scalp though, if it bother me I take some thin, black string and tie the bases of the pigtails together. No more pulling and tension!

"Distant beavers sound the alarm"

"Its not stylish if you look witty."

alcreepsly

Post by alcreepsly » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:44 am

ive read and tried this myself. if you twist it into a giant bun on your head, more towards the top instead of the back, and you take an extra dread and sort of wrap it around the bun to hold it. It works for me when i shower..or just dont feel like wearing them down. then when i shower i put a plastic bag on and tie it in the back so it cant come off.

CryptiquesBizarre

Post by CryptiquesBizarre » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:00 pm

I'll pull mine into a relaxed type pony tail (usually with an elastic/cloth/crocheted type headband) and then fold it so I can tie a bandana around it (which kinda resembles when you have a ponytail and on the last looping only pull the ponytail half way through so the ends stick out the top kinda like spikes). This way, the hair is outta meh face and off meh back... and on days I dont want to wash my hair I'll do this then put the plastic hair caps on.. usually 2. Hope you've figured out a way.

Mkatsi

Post by Mkatsi » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:38 pm

I have been meaning to show HEF these for ages, and its a crap picture, so sorry for that! I'll get better ones soon, but these are the MOST very useful things I have for dread styling. So easy.

Basically its a loop of elastic with a knot in each end, I occasionally find them in a local pound shop for four for a quid, and stock up because I loose them all over!
You loop the elastic around, then put one knot over the other and its super secure. So much easier than trying to pull the dreads through anything, and more stable and discreet than a scarf- its esentially like knotting elastic, but easier and will less hassle to remove.
Also, as they are such a large loop, you can use them like a normal band and double over, or just loop the whole thing once around the head like a band. Super useful.

I like to knot my dreads alot, or wrap them any way I can into a bun so all bits are sticking out. You can also split the hair in half and twist both sections then wind all the dreads in the same direction and secure with a big band or elastic to make a neat bun.

I also LOVE chopsticks for dreads! makes some awesome styles, but get strong ones! I snapped mine.

Candied_Angel

Post by Candied_Angel » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:46 pm

I know it's been said already but pigtails [or in my case in the last time I wore really long dreads, pig buns] are the way to go in my opinion.
It distributes the weight of your synths so you're not 'back heavy'.
I've found that using a bandana around each pigtail/bun helps to keep everything in place.
A plastic grocery bag on your head whilst showering will be your best friend until you until you uninstall them.

Excuse the 'Into Space Derp look'. These weren't as long as yours but they were close [about mid-back].

I split my dreads in a zigzag down the middle of my scalp and pulled them over my shoulders.
Doing one side at a time I usually gave them two to three twists in the same direction and then 'flipped' them up to the back of my head and let the mass sort of twist in on itself.
Then I wrap the long ends around once, twice, or three times depending on the length until I could tuck each end under into the 'band'.
Secure with an extra large scrunchy, bandana, scarf, etc.

I don't think that's what I did in that picture but it's what I do now in order to get ready for a shower.
Striving for social imperfection since 1990.

BambooPanda13

Post by BambooPanda13 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:56 am

I usually use a bandana for a ponytail or an updo ponytail. I fold it to about an inch thick, grab my hair together, twist it in one direction, fold up, and tie the little "bun" part with the bandana (hard to know what I'm talking about without pictures sorry) and it holds up, plus has my dreads sticking up or down to the sides (depending on what I'm wearing).

Return to “Synthetic Dreadlocks”