is there any way to make single ended dreads from de dreads?

Katrinamcgrady

is there any way to make single ended dreads from de dreads?

Post by Katrinamcgrady » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:33 pm

Hiya everyone. I was just wondering if anyone knew any way / tips / tricks to make single ended dreads out of already made double ended dreads? Any help would be appreciated! Thank you very much!

Loric

Re: is there any way to make single ended dreads from de dre

Post by Loric » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:50 pm

It's not really helpful but I've never heard of it. if you cut the dread in half and attempted to reseal the dread you wouldn't have the loop to attach it to your head so i'd have to say from my experience no. I've heard of SE's have another SE made into the loop to make them harlequin DE's but that's about it. Sorry :(

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:57 pm

Again, maybe not helpful but if youre trying to make them into falls you can bend them in half over the elastic and then rubber band them.. kind of making a loop at the top with two dreads hanging down. I don't think thats what you're looking for though :i7:
"Distant beavers sound the alarm"

"Its not stylish if you look witty."

Katrinamcgrady

Post by Katrinamcgrady » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:29 am

Thanks for the replys everyone. Yeah I was looking to make them into singles because the doubles are just too heavy for my head hah. I have thick hair, so that's a ton of em! Singles work best in my hair, but I'm going to experiment with a few of them and see what I can pull off! If I figure it out, I will let everyone know.

BeastThumper

Post by BeastThumper » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:40 pm

You could cut the loop of one and keep the other, sadly though this means you'll have half as many in the end because the ones being cut are unwearable. Dunno if that helps.
For lack of a better word, Squack.

VixenSingsBlack

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:20 am

Maybe you could sew a loop of yarn at the top after cutting? That might be awkward, but it could work.

IKickShins

Post by IKickShins » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:50 am

I've never tried this so I can't guarantee it will work, but here's my best guess:

1. Hey look, a DE!

2. Cut the DE in half at the fold.

3. Unravel the top of the dread for a couple inches until it's loose and pliable. This is eventually going to end up being your loop. This likely wouldn't work with wrappy dreads, and I wouldn't try it with swirls either (seems like they'd get pretty messy), but it might be doable for solids or transitionals.

4. Fold over the unraveled top part.

5. Backcomb it into the rest of the dread. A felting needle would probably be good here.

You'll end up with SEs that are a few inches shorter than the DEs were.. in theory. If the dreads are really well made, you might not be able to unravel them enough to fold them over and make a loop. Also, it might compromise the integrity of the rest of the dread since you'd be kind of backcombing it in reverse of how it was originally made. And the loop will probably be pretty huge.

Seems like the new loop might be a little weak, but when they're installed your hair will be braided around that part anyway and would hopefully help hold it in place.
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

Desiree

Post by Desiree » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:57 am

What if you "cut" the DE in half with a braid sealer?
If it holds up, you can pull you hair trough the top with a latch hook or something. You don't need an actual loop to attach a single ended dread.

You can also cut it in half and bend the top into a loop, and then tie it of with an elastic band or thread?? Like IKickShins said but instead of felting it together you can tie the loop.

If you install them with blancket stitch braids the loop will be covered.

Sugarfalls

Post by Sugarfalls » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:29 pm

I usually thread hair through the hoop and make it around the other dread to get a double ended one :)

BambooPanda13

Post by BambooPanda13 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:02 am

I did this once before I could figure out how to braid in DE:

Tie a rubber band at the top of the DE (or really the middle) to make a loop. Tada!

Return to “Synthetic Dreadlocks”