Sealing dreads, seriously in need of a miracle

Zombie_Medusa

Sealing dreads, seriously in need of a miracle

Post by Zombie_Medusa » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:48 am

Okay, so this is how it is:

I found out about making synthetic dreads about 4 months ago, watched a few people make them and watched tons of vids on how to untill i started making them myself around a month and a half - two months ago.

Ive got backcomming down and all that jazz, but i cannot just get any of my dreads to seal right.

Ive used every technique imaginable (except steaming, for lack of a steamer)

Either the dreads form this hard plasticky layer on them that makes them extreamly shiny (yet they still start unraveling, so annoyint T.T' )

Or they just wont stop unraveling. I mostly use the straitner way, with my new(bought just for making dreads) wet to strait flat-iron.

I dont know if my problem is not using enough water or using too much or what. But im tired of waisting bags of KK on this.

Am i retarded at making dreads? Wtc is up with this >.<

Any help/tips would be amazing.
Even if we dont have the same beliefs/ideas, I will respect you. I will offer you common decency. You don't have to impress me, because I'm not here to impress you

dreadviolet

Re: Sealing dreads, seriously in need of a miracle

Post by dreadviolet » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:34 am

Zombie_Medusa wrote: Either the dreads form this hard plasticky layer on them that makes them extreamly shiny
This means the dread is melted. :(

The problem with straight heat is, that it "seals" (or burns - which is not what you want to do!) the outer surface of a dread, but it doesn't effect the inside of a dread at all, and therefore it remains unsealed from the inside, which causes it to unravel.

You need to get them steamed, but you don't really need a steamer for that. You can use a steam iron with a cloth. Cover the dreads with a wet cloth. Don't touch the dreads with the iron but move it close to them and let the steam seal the dreads.

The thing with steam is, that the pressure makes the steam to go through the dread and seal it from the inside. What I always do, is first seal the dread somewhat looser so the inside get sealed, and only then, I do the second round and seal it tightly twisted.

Good luck!
Fake your hair - http://dreadviolet.com/
Dreadviolet Hair Creations & material supplies -
Dreadviolet Livejournal
Dreadviolet @ Facebook
Dreadviolet @ Google+

Monique_marion_may

Post by Monique_marion_may » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:31 am

Yes I agree, you need to get some wet heat on them. What I do, is twist the dread, then drap a cloth over it. Then get a spray bottle of water, spray it and then use the straightners on the towel.
Also, where did you buy the KK?

Zombie_Medusa

Post by Zombie_Medusa » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:55 am

I am using a cloth soaked in water before i put my straitner on it, and mostly from cypherlox
Even if we dont have the same beliefs/ideas, I will respect you. I will offer you common decency. You don't have to impress me, because I'm not here to impress you

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:51 am

I have a Remington Wet2Straight, try it on a lower setting and try not leaving it on for too long.
Also, you may be letting the dread go before it cools completely. After applying your steam source, keep the dread twisted until it is cool to the touch. You can use a handheld fan or blow on it to speed up the process.

Zombie_Medusa

Post by Zombie_Medusa » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:01 am

I realized what my problem was, even though i was using a rag it was an extreamly thin kitchen rag and i wasnt soaking it with enough water/my flat iron was on too high of a temperature setting when was causing the outside of the dread to burn but the inside un-sealed, theirfore it kept comming appart.

Thanks for the help, guys! <4

Return to “Synthetic Dreadlocks”