Stiffness issues(does that sound dirty or what?)

CandySecretion

Stiffness issues(does that sound dirty or what?)

Post by CandySecretion » Thu May 26, 2011 7:11 pm

Apologies if this is in the wrong section/has been answered numerous times before. I know there were similar things asked in other posts but I have tried all and failed :[

SO, I have been attempting to make a set of SE natural synth dreads for myself for the past month, the outcome of the dreads themselves are not exactly the problem... It's the stiffness that's really pissing me off.

I have tried just backcombing and palmrolling, then boiling to set the dread. I'm not too keen of the look of these though, I prefer them to be a bit more... tighter I guess? I lightly crochet them after backcombing, I have two methods of crocheting my dreads: one way is to backcomb and then crochet while smoothing down the dread. These come out smooth and straight, albeit a bit flat until I palmroll them. The other way is to backcomb and "wrap n crochet" which gives it a bit more texture and they come out very solid and a bit more similar to a twisted dread. Only problem is that they are VERY VERY stiff.

Now I use very little hair when attempting to do naturals, less than half of what I'd use for a twisted dread. I've also boiled them repeatedly to try to soften them up, I've also tried lightly steaming them, I have also worn them installed to try to soften them up and I took them out because they were just sticking straight out and couldnt take it anymore lmao The only thing I have not done was throw them into the washer, and that is because I do not own one. Am I doing something wrong here? Maybe I'm just overbackcombing and the crocheting is making it worse?? After drooling over all the lovely nattys on here I just want a set that doesn't make me look like I stuck my finger in an outlet :[

Any tips/tricks/advice is appreciated<3
Electronic Stimulation

Goffy_lucc

Re: Stiffness issues(does that sound dirty or what?)

Post by Goffy_lucc » Fri May 27, 2011 7:09 pm

I'm having the same problem! Except mine just seem very... scratchy. I'd be afraid they'd annoy someone's scalp if they installed them.

Unfortunately,the only way I managed to do it was shoving mine in the washing machine on a hottish wash and they came out a lot softer, but still quite stiff. They did lighten up a lot though.

When I first installed a set of naturals the only way I managed to get them to calm down was putting them in little bunches, trying to convince them to sit a bit closer to the head.
~Louie <3
Facebook | Tumblr

Find funky hair and jewels at~
Etsy | Facebook

hellsbells

Post by hellsbells » Fri May 27, 2011 8:02 pm

It might be the hair type. I'm using LA Trend, backcombing, crochet and then poaching in a pan of boiling water. They're nice and floppy. Sorry for not being uber helpful but it may not be your method at fault.

danixdorko

Post by danixdorko » Fri May 27, 2011 10:19 pm

I just made/self installed my first set of naturals and I'm having the same issue as well. I'm unsure of keeping them in despite only having them in for a week, only due to the fact that they're shorter and stiff. O_O They have like no movement and they stick out at odd angles until I finger comb them down. >_< The only thing I could think of is if I would have made them longer they probably wouldn't be as bad, but I already didn't. Hurrrrg.
-Indecisive Army-

Sunshine Button.

pinky

Post by pinky » Sat May 28, 2011 5:51 am

The only thing I could think to do is to actually dunk the dreads in boiling water for a second. That works for my wrappy dreads. I'd assume it'd work for you too.

faeriedreads

Post by faeriedreads » Sat May 28, 2011 1:06 pm

The stiffness I usually find means that the dreads are tightly sealed and is a good thing.. or is that just me? =P Mine are often quite stiff and loosen up with time and wear =)

CandySecretion

Post by CandySecretion » Sat May 28, 2011 4:09 pm

Yes I have tried dunking them in boiling water a few times, it softens them up a bit but not much :/ not sure if it's the brand I'm using, all my hair is 100% Kanekalon and they all seal perfectly fine when I steam twisted dreads so idk... I know I've made some lovely wavey naturals with IKS Cherry Red just with boiling water but Cherry Red is a total dream to work with anyway lol. I guess I'll just keep at it, try a few different things. Thanks for all the replies, my dark cloud has lifted a bit :)
Electronic Stimulation

danixdorko

Post by danixdorko » Sat May 28, 2011 5:56 pm

I've been wearing mine for just over a week now and I don't think they've softened up at all. O_O

Haha, I've got naturals in of IKS Deep Cherry. :D
-Indecisive Army-

Sunshine Button.

CandySecretion

Post by CandySecretion » Sat May 28, 2011 8:37 pm

haha I wish I would've just used all the cherry red on naturals, they came out perfect, soft and flexible lol I only made 6 though and used the rest for different styles. I wore mine for two weeks and I swear half of them still stood on end, even knotted up in an up-do. I just couldn't take it anymore and took them out :lol:
Electronic Stimulation

danixdorko

Post by danixdorko » Sun May 29, 2011 5:22 am

That's pretty much the point that I'm getting too as well. They just wont soften up! I might have to take 'em out and try dunking them in water multiple times. >_<
-Indecisive Army-

Sunshine Button.

AlphaBitch

Post by AlphaBitch » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:50 am

mine are waist long and they want to stick out too when put up .(crocheted)
so length is not an issue here.

I soaked them in boiling water 3 times before installing, that didn't make a huge change either.

so yeah, I think good backcombing, then good crocheting gives you these uber-stiff dreads.

but I've found a good updo, so I'm not worry about the dreads sticking out. :D

Sharaya

Post by Sharaya » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:36 am

Same problem here. And I have worked so hard on these dreads. Im so disappointed. I think i backcombed them too much. *sigh* and correct me if im wrong but there is really no way i can salvage these is there? I mean, you cant make a dread thinner then it already is once its backcombed. Im so pissed off. I have boiled them 4 times now, palm rolled the hell out of them. ugh. fml.

Return to “Synthetic Dreadlocks”