Skinny dreads

mermaid

Skinny dreads

Post by mermaid » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:57 pm

Hi, I have finally mastered backcombing!!! Yay :)
I found that watching rivet lickers tut on the different loops was more helpful than the actual backcombing one lol think I could just see better what she was doing. so thank you for that!!

Am now having the problem of width... have tried less hair, but I end up with the same width dread, just shorter. Am using half length of kk, my dreads are ending up half the length they start out and between pencil and sharpie width. I wanted really skinny ones :(

Any suggestions on how I can get there?

CherryLex

Re: Skinny dreads

Post by CherryLex » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:04 pm

backcomb less, just make sure it's evenly done. I had that problem at first too :)
Invader blood marches through my veins like radio active rubber pants!
THE PANTS COMMAND ME!!!
Do not ignore my veins!

mermaid

Post by mermaid » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:09 pm

Thank you... will that not mean they're not stiff enough though? They only just stick out when held up as it is :?

..::AtomicLox::..

Post by ..::AtomicLox::.. » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:21 pm

I think this is a little different for everyone. For me, I use less hair and grip the end closer to where I'm backcombing, if that makes sense. The further away your grip is, the more length you can potentially lose.
The mind and hands behind Imp And Petal dreads!

http://www.impandpetal.etsy.com
http://www.facebook.com/ImpAndPetal

PlasticHair

Post by PlasticHair » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:38 pm

When you doing that test you only need it to be solid/stick up about 2-3 inches along that's all, the whole thing doesn't need to be solid and stiff :)

So when you're backcombing don't push the hair up as much, don't push it all up to the top, make it more evenly spaced, and palm roll your dreads when backcombing it helps alot :)

mermaid

Post by mermaid » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:47 pm

PlasticHair wrote:When you doing that test you only need it to be solid/stick up about 2-3 inches along that's all, the whole thing doesn't need to be solid and stiff :)

Lol that's been my mistake then!!! I've been trying to get it literally like a pencil, thank you :)

PlasticHair

Post by PlasticHair » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:26 pm

Hehe, glad to help :)
I think it's an easy area to wrong on in, there's always some confusion about the backcombing.

Good luck!

faeriedreads

Post by faeriedreads » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:23 pm

Maybe backcomb in smaller bits, so it isnt all backcombed together, and then pull the hair when its backcombed to make it stretch out more, if that makes sense?

pinky

Post by pinky » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:30 pm

i do he same as atomic. i hold closer to where i'm back combing and do a little less. also i run my hand down the dread squeezing gently to lengthen the dread a bit if it bunches up.

Sharaya

Post by Sharaya » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:51 am

Yeah using more hair and softer backcombing helps me, the dreads end up longer. As long as you seal them well some flexibility is nice!

Desiree

Post by Desiree » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:38 pm

I just backcomb normally and then stretch the dread by holdning on to the tips of the DE and pull slowly. It stretches the dreads to make it thinner and longer, and evens out the backcombing.

AnarchoFett

Post by AnarchoFett » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:03 pm

It helps me to backcomb in sections moving down and hold the loose hair closer to the top (near where I'm combing). As stated above this will keep many of the hairs from the end from being combed up into the top.
A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having -V

Return to “Synthetic Dreadlocks”