Don't know where else to post this...help

pixychick

Don't know where else to post this...help

Post by pixychick » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:43 am

HI, so I'm new here and don't know where to post questions like this. Sorry if its in the wrong place.

So here are my questions:
1. If i find a very awesome helpful post but its like 6 pages back and i found it through clicking a link someone else posted on another thread, is there anyway I can like put into a favorites category or something so I can find it easily? Or will I have to go searching for it or just bookmark it in my bookmarks?

2.Here is a "morals" question, as a dread "artist" because i do think of this as an artform since it takes long hard work and creativity, what are the rules on "copying/ trying to recreate" someone elses dreadfalls/wig? I have seen so many awesome falls that I would love for myself or to sell but since I saw them they technically aren't my own idea can i make them and call them my own? or would it be proper to ask the person who made them if its okay to "copy" their ideas/ what if they say No? how does all this work?
(I hope this makes sense)

thanks
*Pixychick*

pixychick

Re: Don't know where else to post this...help

Post by pixychick » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:15 am

I really do wish someone would give me an opinion on this? *sad panda*

sammu

Post by sammu » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:20 am

Try lurking around a bit, get to know where threads should go. ;)

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:19 am

Heya and welcome :)

cirque is right, browse around and get a feel for where various questions should go ;) There are other, busier areas where individual questions are more likely to be viewed and answered. For example, Hair Specific Chatter is great for feedback on your ethical question and you would probably get a few responses if you post it there. There is also a Technical Issues area in the Site Info where you can get good advice from the more techy amongst the users. (I'm not one of them :oops: sorry!)

If you are really struggling, the mods are very helpful and approachable. ;)

You will get the hang of it, I look forward to seeing you around. :D
What, that? It's a spade.

Gracey xx
Formerly known as Woolhairhabbit

LittlePinkFaery

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:34 am

regards saving info- create your own faves on your own computer- you can collect the links.

I beleive you can subscribe to a thread too.

There is no copyright on hair- as much as it upsets people when their designs are 'copied' no one can ever be sure who came up with what first!

My advice would be if you are only going to make it for yourself, there is no need to worry. If you are going to sell it, then out of politeness you could ask the original maker if they minded you using their design.

for the most part, there is no 'design' as it is just certian colourways. You can always change a few things to make it more your own design.

sammu

Post by sammu » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:18 pm

Art is art at the end of the day. If you drew in a specific style/coloured a certain way etc and then someone else comes along and outright copies then you're certainly going to get miffed. Same rules apply.

However, there's nothing wrong with being "inspired" by a kit, or a painting, or a statue, and making something similar but with your own twist. I mean, when you become adapt at making dreads you get your own definitive style anyway.

pixychick

Post by pixychick » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:56 pm

awesome thanks or your advice. There are certain color combos I've seen that I loved the I came here and saw the same color combos on a ton of different falls.
I thnink the most thing are wigs but I can always change it up I bit. well i first need to learn to make wigs.
I always figured like in art classes they have you try and recreate a certain art piece by another arisit to learn technique and such.
plus immiatation is the best form of flattery?

thanks a bunch.
I just dont want to be the newbie on the forum where people look at my falls and say hey that looks like so and so's. I'm not trying to copy anyone at all its just hard being unique when there are people who have been doing this for years and year. I've worn them but now i want to make my own. And being new to this community I don't want to step on any toes. I have personally found out that toes are easily stepped on by just going to another seller because I like the way they do their falls. So yeah trust me yeah i'm tip toeing. But hey everyone gets inspiaton from others even if they don't know it, just by looking at the gallrey section you brain automatically takes in what you are seeing and its processed into inspiration.
anyways yeah thanks. if its just something general that everyone and anyone has done i'm good but if its something so obviously inspired by someoneelse i'll credit and aslk the person or mostly change it up and make it my own. I always want to try to make things my own by doing things differently.

thanks
*Pixchick*

Return to “New to Hair Extensions Forum-archive”