Styling your natural hair using dreads as a tool

madebs666

Styling your natural hair using dreads as a tool

Post by madebs666 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:06 pm

I know the title may make you think WTF...? but bear with me!

With my long, naturally wavy/bushy hair, I tend to be a bit of a lazy stylist, I often put my freshly washed hair into two plaits and let it dry.

I came up with this the other night as a way to get more of a curl than a wave in my hair the lazy way.

Make sure your hair is freshly washed and still damp/wet.

Take two double ended dreads, split your hair into two sides. Then take one side and split that up into two pieces.

Take one of those pieces and split again into two. Use these two and one side of the DE dread and do a standard three way braid to wrap it around the dread. Leave a good 1" of the ends of your hair loose and secure with a normal hair bobble/band, it doesn't need to be too tight.

Then take the second piece of hair from the same side and do the same but with the other 'leg' of the same DE dread.

Repeat on the other side of your head. You should end up with four braids which are small and easy to sleep on.

Wake up the next day, smooth a bit of mousse over your hair before gently unravelling the braids.

If you want gentle curls, braid down the dread as far as you can. If you want tighter curls (or even ringlets) wrap the hair, rather than braiding, round and round as close to the roots as possible.

It gets easier once you've done it a few times.

If anyone is interested, I can post some pictures of the steps?

tazzyface

Re: Styling your natural hair using dreads as a tool

Post by tazzyface » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:28 am

That's quite clever! Pictures of the results would be nice :) I have hair similar to yours - long and wavy, bushy once brushed - and I tend to plait my hair before I go to bed as well, but I end up with half straight/half wavy hair which looks like I've stuck a finger in an electrical socket. I'll try this out tonight if I can find some loose DEs and post results tomorrow :)

Do you think using two SEs in place of one DE would give similar results?
More human than human

cherrygloom

Post by cherrygloom » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:02 pm

I used rolled-up roving as foundation for victory rolls once, as they don't make those spongy thingies in pink!

Elstaro

Post by Elstaro » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:33 am

Oh this is a good thred idea. I at times use DE dreads as curlers. way easier to sleep on then curlers I just wrap a small section around each end on longer dreads I can wrap around 4 sections. I secure the ends with bobby pins. now I do this on dry hair and use no product when I take them out and by morrning when I take them all out I have very nice springy curls that last till I brush my hair witch Im not going to lie isnt very often. Every time Ive used a curling iron or even curlers the curl has lasted at most a few hours even using products.
I poo rainbows ^_^

[Phexxie]

Post by [Phexxie] » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:10 pm

oh wow, this is excellent, thanks for posting everyone!
i too find that my hair just wont stay curled when i use heat tools, even with uber mega strong freeze hairspray
ive been considering investing in curlers but now i shant bother! :D

kyandii

Post by kyandii » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:48 pm

I'm trying this, right now :)

Return to “Tutorials - Everything Else”