sewing monster fur?

Lilinth

sewing monster fur?

Post by Lilinth » Tue May 19, 2009 10:54 pm

not so much a tutorial request but more a need for instruction....
basically i was wondering if, when sewing faux furs, do you need to use a different sort of thread for added strength?
i wanted to make a faux fur mini but don't want to sit down and unravel my seams :shock:
/emmy x

abby_carnage

Re: sewing monster fur?

Post by abby_carnage » Thu May 21, 2009 3:26 pm

Ive used monster fur before, with normal thread in a sewing machine and it doesnt generally unravel. The only problem i have with it is that any sheared seams tend to shed a lot of fur, so i'd recommend lining any garments you plan to make. Avoid any fancy seams as it just adds bulk, and i wouldnt try overlocking hems or rolling them either. Fur has a mesh base so u could try running a little super glue down the edges but it wont tend to unravel. I made some fluffy boot covers and didnt line them, i just gave them 2cm hems and they dont fold over or fray. Also, use a needle to pull the little hairs out from the stitching and so you dont have flattening of the fur near the stitching if that makes sense. Hope that helps :)

Lilinth

Post by Lilinth » Thu May 21, 2009 3:35 pm

that is absolutely what i wanted to know
thankyou!!!!
now the fun can begin.... :i2:
/emmy x

abby_carnage

Post by abby_carnage » Thu May 21, 2009 3:45 pm

excellent! Show us pics of the finished product! I may try a furry black bolero this summer now uni's finished :) even tho my momma just bought me a fit furry red/black jacket. I love clothes. DIY is the way forward woo
xx

Lilinth

Post by Lilinth » Thu May 21, 2009 3:57 pm

i'm crap at sewing so i was thinking first a short fur mini just to teach myself how to put a zip in...
find latex easier to work with so am going to get some of that too :D
will be a busy crafty summer break
/emmy x

abby_carnage

Post by abby_carnage » Thu May 21, 2009 4:03 pm

I've never used latex as my sewing machine is rubbish and wont sew thicker fabrics, plus do you need to use a teflon needle and foot to stop it sticking?

Oh cool, make sure you have plenty of ease at the shoulders if your doing a jacket :) I learnt this last year when i made my halloween costume and didnt have any ease! TIGHT haha

Return to “Tutorials - Everything Else”