*Wanted* Mohawk tutorials

Xavialune

*Wanted* Mohawk tutorials

Post by Xavialune » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:56 pm

So I know there is probably another thread like this somewhere, but the search engine is..not really working. So, Id like to ask some help with mohawks. Im trying to grow mine back, I had an undercut and now the hawk part in the back is a few inches or so long. The only hawk I am capable of doing ends up looking basically like a crusty rats nest.

So I was wondering if people knew where I could find some *good* tutorials on the different types of mohawks. The ones Ive found on the net so far arent really much help. I would like to have one for the 'fishtail' type hawk and also for a fluffy one. I have a photo I found somewhere of the kind of fluffyness I am talking about, but I dont want to be a pic stealer and post it here without permission because I have no idea who owns it. Basically it just looks like a little fluffy..thing. lol..know what I mean? Like death hawks..perhaps even fluffier. I would like to know what products/technique is used to get that fluffiness but also somehow stability in the hawk.

Thanks.
I <3 The Chameleons

Lorny

Re: *Wanted* Mohawk tutorials

Post by Lorny » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:08 pm

I think with regards to picture 'stealing' it's only when you are stealing them and claiming them to be your own that it is bad. If you post a picture on the internet there are millions of people what could potentially 'take' the photo anyway, but I should think if you say where you got it from it covers you. If this is purely for inspitaration then I shouldn't see why not. Besides, we're not mind readers! hehe.

Its all about backcombing a good, firm base, then teasing it out where you want it to sit and then tonnes of hair spray, and spraying as you go along for good measure.

The best person to ask is Twiggy though, she has lovely hair and gets it really fluffy. In fact, that's probably a picture of her hair you have! :lol:
I am neither blue nor red. I am a proud recruit of the Indecisive Army!

Xavialune

Post by Xavialune » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:42 pm

For some reasom it wont post the image, so the image is located here:

http://s175.photobucket.com/albums/w124 ... awk3-3.jpg

The reason I didnt want to post it was because I actually found it in that myspace hair archive..and then I noticed recently that people werent happy with that site due to the fact the girl didnt ask permission to post any of the photos. So I hope I dont offend anyone.

So yeah...pink fluffy bihawk=love I would like to get my hair this fluffy looking, but if I cake on the extra-super hold Aquanet, it looks like...crusty or hard.

There is also this one for the fishtail example:

And my my that is an awesome dye job.
I <3 The Chameleons

neonpixie

Post by neonpixie » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:29 pm

OOOH
the photo you linked to looks like TwiggyDEVOUR, she's on the forum... I know she makes hawk hairpieces, maybe she could help you- here's her myspace- http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... =200842997
Oscail mo shúile, Nìos mò, Èist è sin, Ar an tsáile snámha, Fol lol the doh fol the day...

Xavialune

Post by Xavialune » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:45 am

neonpixie wrote:OOOH
the photo you linked to looks like TwiggyDEVOUR, she's on the forum... I know she makes hawk hairpieces, maybe she could help you- here's her myspace- http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... =200842997
O rly? Sweet..yeah. Well it certainly looks like her real hair lol..but yeah id like to know how one gets it up like that.

I actually tried doing a dread hawk today because of my frustration with real hawks lol...I will post pics of it when I get back to my apartment tomorrow evening. It waas kind of...well, an experiment, I guess...since I didnt really know how to do it lol
I <3 The Chameleons

Lorny

Post by Lorny » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:48 pm

Xavialune wrote:
So yeah...pink fluffy bihawk=love I would like to get my hair this fluffy looking, but if I cake on the extra-super hold Aquanet, it looks like...crusty or hard.
Well its all about how you tease the hair out after backcombing. Backcombing lots at the root then gradually easing up on the backcombing as you get further up the hair. The base has to be good and strong before the hair can stand up on its own like that. I can imagine the hair probably feels hard to touch, but the way the hair is teased out after the backcombing makes it still look 'fluffy'.

I have found that using the non extra hold hairsprays makes a different with the overall look, as the extra strong often have a tendency to leave a crusty 'layer' on the hair. Also, higher brands aren't as crispy as the cheaper brands, so that would also work in your favour. I don't know of the brand Aquanet to comment on it.

Xavialune

Post by Xavialune » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:48 pm

Aquanet has been around since the late 70s I think. Its what the original goth kids used on their hair lol..obviously they didnt have super extra hold or whatever it is..

Are there any 'higher' brands you could recommend?
I <3 The Chameleons

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:51 pm

The cheaper the hair spray, the better they say :P

Lorny

Post by Lorny » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:54 pm

rivetlicker_ wrote:The cheaper the hair spray, the better they say :P
The cheaper ones have better hold as they make the hair harder, but in this case we don't need the hairspray to do the holding. They will only make the hair crusty feeling which is not what we're after here. It's the backcombing which essentially creates and holds the style. The hairspray is there to help it along.

Return to “Tutorials - Everything Else”