Removing dye... probably a long shot but worth asking!

[Phexxie]

Removing dye... probably a long shot but worth asking!

Post by [Phexxie] » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:55 pm

Sometime last year I dyed a dress, hoping for black, and the dye didn't take

It came out a medium blue on the under layer and didn't take at all anywhere else!
So clearly, it's not just plain cotton, I think it's a polyester blend but I can't be sure, the label doesn't specify what the underlayer is made from... :(
I used Dylon Wash & Dye in Velvet Black

It was previously a light grey

I'm kiiiinda hoping I might be able to draw some of the dye out and get it back to a grey colour, but I'm unsure of how to go about it
is it possible?
any ideas?

danixdorko

Re: Removing dye... probably a long shot but worth asking!

Post by danixdorko » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:59 am

I had a similar issue, dyed something yellow black, but it turned an olive green color. I would be fine with this if it were and even color, unfortunately it turned out rather spotty.
If anyone has advice how to draw it out or get a spotty job to take better, that would be great. x
-Indecisive Army-

Sunshine Button.

MrsEss

Re: Removing dye... probably a long shot but worth asking!

Post by MrsEss » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:52 pm

Sometimes the fabric is coated with something to stop the dye from taking. I tried to dye a jacket black instead of dark grey & the colour never changed. Fabric is an issue too. Dylon will not dye all fabrics, you need specific dyes for man-made fabrics, something like idye perhaps: http://www.thedyeshop.co.uk/acatalog/Po ... _Dyes.html

Removing the colour can be done with very watered down bleach & left to soak for a few hours, wash & then dye. Hopefully that will work. I've never tried to removed colour from an entire garment before, full bleach never really covers over with dye, maybe some colour run stuff er... Dr Beckman I think Yep: http://www.dr-beckmann.co.uk/
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

Return to “Tutorials - Everything Else”