Fairy-like asymmetrical skirt, as requested!

jättiorava

Fairy-like asymmetrical skirt, as requested!

Post by jättiorava » Wed May 12, 2010 11:55 am

Hi! I got so many questions about how I made this skirt, so I'm trying to write a sort of tutorial. It's super simple to make, but a bit difficult to describe... but I'll do my best!

First, a coupla pictures:

Front

Back

What you'll need: a piece of cotton/spandex stretch fabric (plus maybe a remnant to try the technique first): width would be your hip circumference plus seam allowances; length is irregular but the longest point should be how long you want the skirt to be and the shortest how short you dare to make the shortest part, plus a few centimeters for seam allowance and elastic casing. Also you need a lenghth of elastic, I used 2 cm wide, length is the skirts top circumference minus a few centimeters, whatever feels fine and keeps the skirt from slipping down. Some sewing thread in the right colour, a double needle for your machine (optional). Super sharp, pointy small scissors for cutting holes in the fabric. I also used a crochet tablecloth (or I don't know the right English word...) I found at the flea market as a back ornament. :) Though make sure your fabric is a cotton knit with some spandex! I'm not sure if this technique works with just plain cotton stretch fabric (T-shirt fabric).

Cut your fabric so that you'll have one piece, and try and get the seam to be in the short part, not the long. Sew the seam with a stretch stitch (or with a small zig zag). Don't forget to leave a bit open at the top for the elastic to fit through! Make a casing for the elastic by turning the top edge of the skirt inside, sew with double needle (or some other stretchy stitch). Thread in elastic, try on, sew elastic to the right length.

Then for the holes! :) Take your small scissors and a fabric remnant and try first: cut rectangular holes in your fabric, see photo for reference. Leave about 1 cm between the holes. When you're finished with your pattern (make several holes side by side in a check pattern), the fun part! Grab the strips of fabric that are left and pull on them to make them "curl" into themselves. Don't pull too hard or you'll rip them, just enough to make them stretch into shape. (This is why you should first try it on a remnant piece of fabric.) Now you'll have a better idea of how to make the pattern on your skirt, you can start cutting that too. Cut it as you like, and then pull to stretch into shape. Remember: you can always cut some and stretch to see how it looks before cutting more, but if you cut too much you can't put fabric back... so take your time to check how it looks!

So now you're done! You can of course add whatever ornaments you like, just sew on by hand, as I did with the crochet thingy on the back. Wear and enjoy! :)
~Reality in just a substitute for imagination~

Love Bunny

Re: Fairy-like asymmetrical skirt, as requested!

Post by Love Bunny » Wed May 12, 2010 12:18 pm

I had a feeling it was done like this :D so simple but it looks great !! I'll be having a go at this! Thanks so much ! xxxxxxxxx
~Jess ♥

International Secret Sweet & Savoury Swap! Sign Up HERE!

NaturalistDesigns

Post by NaturalistDesigns » Wed May 12, 2010 2:17 pm

Beautiful crochet work on the back too ;)

I love the design and brilliant tutorial!

madebs666

Post by madebs666 » Thu May 13, 2010 8:43 am

That is surprisingly easy, I'm going to have to give that a go.

Thanks for the tutorial!

PrincessBubblegum

Post by PrincessBubblegum » Wed May 19, 2010 1:55 am

I'm so glad you added this, I love this skirt! Can't wait to try it.
=]

Candied_Angel

Post by Candied_Angel » Mon May 31, 2010 4:18 pm

Ooo I love this skirt. I'm definitely going to try it, maybe make it into a pretty fairy top or dress
Striving for social imperfection since 1990.

Return to “Tutorials - Everything Else”