What is the best beauty advice you've ever gotten?

Taraiha

Re: What is the best beauty advice you've ever gotten?

Post by Taraiha » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:01 am

Best advice I was given was from my mum who told me if your skin breaks out, don't start slathering it with all sorts to 'cure' it. Just cleanse as normal, don't pick and double your water consumption. Has never let me down yet.
I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offense. But we could take the safety labels off everything and let nature run its course.

keiaragirl

Post by keiaragirl » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:09 pm

Always use a moisturiser that contains sunscreen. Good for your skin and helps protect your face from sun damage. I really do believe it helps keep wrinkles at bay too!

Lilinth

Post by Lilinth » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:35 am

remember to moisturise your neck too, treat it well as it ages alongside your face
/emmy x

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:14 pm

Lilinth wrote:remember to moisturise your neck too, treat it well as it ages alongside your face
This is sooooo true...you can alway tell older ladies who have had surgery/botox etc when their necks look way older than their faces :lol:
scarlet's taking over the asylum aka ladypanel

* Queen of Tangents*

iamtheparty

Post by iamtheparty » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:14 pm

Similarly, use a handcream with an SPF because your hands will always show your age!
Birthdays was the worst days, now we sip champagne when we thirstay.....

http://www.facebook.com/forgottennegatives

sammu

Post by sammu » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:20 pm

If you are a model, it's best to use a foundation without SPF. SPF, mixed with the flash of a camera makes your face look lighter and discoloured from the rest of your body (assuming you're using the right shade anyway).

iamtheparty

Post by iamtheparty » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:59 pm

Aspirin applied topically prevents shaving rash/razor burn. I used to get it terribly and to be honest, I avoided shaving since it meant 2 days of smoothness, then 5 days of soreness :( But if you smush up a few soluble aspirin with a little water (until it's a paste) then apply it with a cotton pad it works like a charm!
Birthdays was the worst days, now we sip champagne when we thirstay.....

http://www.facebook.com/forgottennegatives

Mal

Post by Mal » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:53 pm

iamtheparty wrote:Aspirin applied topically prevents shaving rash/razor burn. I used to get it terribly and to be honest, I avoided shaving since it meant 2 days of smoothness, then 5 days of soreness :( But if you smush up a few soluble aspirin with a little water (until it's a paste) then apply it with a cotton pad it works like a charm!
:i6: Thank you for the tip!!! I wonder if this helps ingrown hairs, I hate shaving my arm pits because of this so I normally wait ages to do it, because I get so sore! :(

tazzyface

Post by tazzyface » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:20 am

iamtheparty wrote:Aspirin applied topically prevents shaving rash/razor burn. I used to get it terribly and to be honest, I avoided shaving since it meant 2 days of smoothness, then 5 days of soreness :( But if you smush up a few soluble aspirin with a little water (until it's a paste) then apply it with a cotton pad it works like a charm!
This also makes a great mask for those with pimples and troublesome skin :)
More human than human

Candy.Acid

Post by Candy.Acid » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:21 pm

have more orgasms lol! apparently it keeps your skin looking young!!!

Pinkkiee*

Post by Pinkkiee* » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:35 am

Use a sulfate free shampoo to protect your hair color (especially unnatural colors) it makes it last longer.

Also, i have found through experience that its okay to pluck the hair above your eyebrow for. i personally have some weird wavy eyebrows when i only pluck below.

cypherlox

Post by cypherlox » Sat May 01, 2010 8:41 pm

use URBAN DECAY PRIMER POTION before putting on eye makeup/shadow - this stuff works wonders!!

Also check out this site for all types of makeup essays, tutorials, galleries and more:
squeakmachine.com
CypherLOX.com
Visit us on Facebook!
Visit us on Myspace!
Follow us on Twitter!

Cypherlox.com - Custom Falls & Extensions, Hair Making Supplies, Hair Dye, Goggles, Fuzzy Boot Covers and more!

ZenFierce

Post by ZenFierce » Fri May 28, 2010 2:26 pm

My top tip would be to exfoliate. It keeps removes dead skin and aids blood circulation, which leaves skin really soft and healthy.

the red marin

Post by the red marin » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:06 am

use a bit of baking soda in your toothpaste- it'll help get those teeth all nice and pearly white! also, it acts as a good scrub from acne prone skin... however, people have had mixed results with this. it worked very well on my oily/acne prone skin, but a quick google search will find varying results so use with caution!
Linnaeus Cosmetics
wildlife inspired vegan eye shadows
http://www.etsy.com/shop/LinnaeusCosmetics

blackmetal_mosher

Post by blackmetal_mosher » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:27 am

When I joined a modelling school, I was told that water and a good balanced diet is the best thing you can do for your skin from the inside,(we all know this), but they also said that a sun cream of factor 15 and over is the best topical moisturiser. They said that if there was no sun then most people wouldn't even begin to show wrinkles until in their 60's! I do not know how true that is, but I do know we lived by that rule. And I still do.Although I try and get one that lasts for about 6 hours as applying it all day long can be a headache!

As far as make-up goes, I was taught that less is often more. Or - if you want to accentuate your eyes then go softer on the lips, and the other way around if you want to accentuate your lips.

Also to use baby oil as an all over moisturiser. It can make your skin a bit 'icky' for a few minutes, but it makes my skin soooooo soft. I sometimes have a tendency to put on too much though,but I just wipe it off and your skin is still ultra soft. It's cheap, and really easy to apply. Putting it in your bath also moisturises but I don't like it in the bath as I just slip up and down it the whole time!
Last edited by blackmetal_mosher on Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hello, I am in right now, but there is someone I dont want to speak to. If you are leaving a message and I don't answer the phone, then that person is you...

starlight

Post by starlight » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:16 pm

the red marin wrote:use a bit of baking soda in your toothpaste- it'll help get those teeth all nice and pearly white!
Colgate do one with bicarbonate of soda in it. It tastes disgusting though!

Return to “Make-up & Skin Stuff”