Pills for acne?

slinkypanda

Pills for acne?

Post by slinkypanda » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:11 am

My dermatoligist wanted to put me on the pill that they use to treat acne, that was a while ago, i didnt want to then cause i was afraid that its harsh on the body... but i still have bad skin... and im thinking about going back and just taking it cause my skin is in bad shape. I cant remeber the exact name of the pill but im sure someone has heard about !

Has anyone taken this pill and can tell me any effects it might have? is skin dryer afterwards? Does it have bad health effects? I was told that i couldnt take it during preganancy...

Anyways I NEVER had acne before i was put on prescription drugs, they caused me to gain weight and afterwards i had cellulite and bad skin.. :( The whole reason why im in this situation is because i was put on pills... so im kind of wary of them!!! is my fear of being drugged a reasonable one or do you think the pill is harmless?

tazzyface

Re: Pills for ance?

Post by tazzyface » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:25 am

By any chance, are you referring to Accutane? I was looking into it myself... I don't have bad acne, I'd say it's mild/moderate on my face, shoulders and back, but it's the most stubborn thing ever. I have tried so many things to fix it and none of them have done a thing. When something does work for a bit, my skin seems to form an "immunity" or something to it - it just stops working.
More human than human

Tainted

Post by Tainted » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:06 pm

I was on Accutane when I was around 14.

I had very bad acne since I was about 11 :(

The side effects were horrid, e.g nose bleeds, horrible broken & chapped lips and not being able to do sports at school due to it making my bones very weak.

I was told that I was very young to be on the treatment at the time but I had tried every possible lotion and potion I'd ever heard of.

You are right in saying that you cannot take accutane while being pregnant, they had to do tests on me before I got each course to ensure I wasn't pregnant (not that there was any chance of it at that age - but legally they have to).

I have to say though - I did 2 courses of the pills and they actually worked, since then I've been on dianette which is also a birth control pill but specifically designed to also help acne.

I'm now 24 and still on this dianette pill - I tried coming off it a few months ago but my skin didn't agree - and it works great for me :)

Accutane is a very severe course of treatment, talk to your doctor lots about the side effects ect - it really got me down when I was on it as I was very young and it was extremelly embarrassing in school etc.

But it does work in the long run.

It cleared my skin up great - but not perfect, hence the dianette whcih I'm still taking.

Toots

Post by Toots » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:06 pm

I'm on antibiotics for my skin and it's working great! ^_^ I have to be on it for another 6 months.. been on it for 4 months now. But I'm told after that time.. my acne should be gone for good. Then I can get laser treatment for my acne scars! Yay!

Anyway, I really do recommend trying it.. it's really worth the effort. After a couple weeks on it my skin improved and now I rarely ever get spots. (And I sometimes forget to take it! lol!) Also, I have no side effects.. no dry skin, no nothing. :) My doctor also prescribed a skin lotion for me too and together it's amazing. (I rarely remember to use the cream but if I did I'm sure it would be even better. My memory is terrible, though!)

So, yeah.. I'm obviously not on the same one you're talking about but you could always ask your doctor about antibiotics. If not, I would still try it. Acne is such a pain!!

Bettedaviseyes

Post by Bettedaviseyes » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:32 pm

Accutane can have very very scary emotional/psychological side effects there was a teenage boy a few years back that crashed a small airplane while taking accutane it was determined that he had basically gone crazy due to the meds...I have had acne for as long as I can remember and whats helped me the most is a combo of birth control pills and Dermalogica anti-bac cleanser

[[Violet.Nightmare]]

Post by [[Violet.Nightmare]] » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:32 am

Actually for achne one of the best things i ever tried was chineese medicine! i went to a large company to make sure i wasnt being given any old c**p. smelt disgusting but did the trick! and best of all no side effects.
"Once you cressp you just cant splessp"

LizSherman

Post by LizSherman » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:39 am

I got put on Dianette for my Acne, and it was superb. Gone within a month with next to no side effects! =D I thoroughly reccomend discussing it with your doctor.

MissAnthropik

Post by MissAnthropik » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:20 pm

I tried roaccutane/accutane when I was younger - my dermatologist said is 95% of people it was a complete cure. When I took it my skin was amazing while I was on it, except it was really dry, my lips were particularly dry, I could peel the whole of the top layer of skin off my lips :shock: Then when I came to the end of the course and the dryness went away I had perfect skin.

For about 6 weeks. It turned out I was in the 5% of people for whom it is not a cure. My dermatologist was shocked as he said that for most of that 5% it still gets rid of it for a couple of years. So he gave me another course of it. Same thing happened - perfect but very dry skin while I was on it, then great skin for 6 weeks or so, then back to how it had been.

My derm made me wait 6 months before having a third lot. He said he had no idea why it wasn't working. He had never seen this happen before, but since I have spoken to others who have had experinces like mine. We may be in the minority but it ins't necessarily the cure it is billed as. After the third lot I had the same experience again. I think maybe my skin was slightly better afterwards but still not cured, and not really worth all the dryness IMO.

I didn't have any more, and he said he couldn't do anything else for me that a standard GP couldn't.

I then went on dianette (it's a contraceptive pill with a dual licence as an acne treatment). In fact most pills will have some effect on your skin, just this one is a bit better. I took that for 2 years, then my doctor told me I had to come off, then I took microgynon (pill) which also kept my skin clear, but gave me headaches, then celest which made me fat, headachey, moody and spotty (all the fun there then!). I asked to go back on dianette prior to getting married so I would have clear skin for that. My GP at the time was very over dramatic telling me it had high risks associated with it, higher than with other pills and she wouldn't recommend I took it. Tried to get me to try a new pill (which I refused in the run up to my wedding I couldn't risk somehting going wrong). In the end she said I could have it but made me agree that it was against her advice!! I decided to take it for a short while so I could look nice on my wedding day and in the photos.

Having changed doctors I asked them about the risks and whether I should stop taking it, and they have said not. I have been back on it for 3 years. There are increased risks for certain cancers and thrombosis, even when compared with other pills, but there are also some benefits regarding some other cancers compared with other pills. The difference between dianette and others pills isn't very big, there are risks with any pill. Also my GP said to me that even if the risk was increased 10 fold, when you are young and in a healthy weight range, and you exercise then your initial risk was incredibly low, so mutiplied by 10 it would still be very low.

As I said though, there are many contraceptive pills which may be of benefit to your skin. I don't find that I never get a spot when I am dianette. I do still get them, they are just less frequent, smaller and go quicker. I am 28 though, so I was expecting this would happen with time anyway! I was led to believe spots were a teenage thing. Kept waiting for them to go. I have come to the conclusion they never will
telling it like it is!

MissAnthropik

Post by MissAnthropik » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:24 pm

oh yes and one more thing....

in america they found there was a correlation between people taking roaccutane and depression/suicide. They then reduced the amount poeple could take in one go - so in america they have a low dose over a longer time frame, in the UK higher dose over a shorter time.

I am not being sensationalist. Merely relating the data. It didn't make me feel depressed. The other problem with the study is that we can't be sure it was the drug making them depressed, they could have been depressed because of their skin conditions.

Just if you do take, be aware, just in case
telling it like it is!

Tainted

Post by Tainted » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:59 pm

MissAnthropik wrote: I then went on dianette (it's a contraceptive pill with a dual licence as an acne treatment). ........In the end she said I could have it but made me agree that it was against her advice!!

Having changed doctors I asked them about the risks and whether I should stop taking it, and they have said not. I have been back on it for 3 years. There are increased risks for certain cancers and thrombosis, even when compared with other pills, but there are also some benefits regarding some other cancers compared with other pills. The difference between dianette and others pills isn't very big, there are risks with any pill. Also my GP said to me that even if the risk was increased 10 fold, when you are young and in a healthy weight range, and you exercise then your initial risk was incredibly low, so mutiplied by 10 it would still be very low.
I also had to agree that I had gone against my doctors advice on this.

I tried coming off dianette for a couple of months and it was awful, so I'm now back on dianette and don't plan on coming back off it for a long time (as long as possible).

It's been the most effective treatment for me.

Wild.Rabbit.Ren

Post by Wild.Rabbit.Ren » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:16 pm

for my acne iv been given dalacin topical lotion clindamycin phosphate (long ass name!!)
It hasnt got rid of them completly yet but iv noticed it mad them alot better i think my doc said it takes 2 months to get the full effect i have to put it on twice a day & it doesnt make my skin look oily or anything its pretty good stuff!

MissAnthropik

Post by MissAnthropik » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:22 pm

Wild.Rabbit.Ren wrote:for my acne iv been given dalacin topical lotion clindamycin phosphate (long ass name!!)
It hasnt got rid of them completly yet but iv noticed it mad them alot better i think my doc said it takes 2 months to get the full effect i have to put it on twice a day & it doesnt make my skin look oily or anything its pretty good stuff!
That was one of the many things i tried before being refered to a dermatologist. It did nothing at all for me, but we all work differently
telling it like it is!

Raevyn

Re: Pills for acne?

Post by Raevyn » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:42 am

I was on Roaccutane for about a year and a half. One months supply would last me nearly three because I only took it every two to three days as it does dry your skin out horribly - sometimes I'd look like the joker because my lips would split up my cheeks from the corners of my mouth, and I had to always carry visene with me because my eyes were dry, and let's just say my bf at the time didn't like it either.

Roaccuate (I think it's the Brittish Accutane) doesn't work for everybody, and there are risks involved. You can't get pregnant as it causes defects and have to be rigid with moisturising/sun protection etc, but if it works for you it is a world of difference.

I had systic acne on my back and parts of my face that was really painful. My dermatologist, GP and I had been through everything - the creams, the antibiotics, the contraceptive pill, you name it we tried it. Then I went on the Roaccutane after everything failed, and I get so many compliments on my skin now. I've been off it for almost 4 years now and just taking cp, so I do get the occasional small hormone breakout, but I've had people stop me in the street and comment on how porcelein my skin is.

I'd recommend trying everything you possibly and financially can first though. While it worked for me, it is a tough time. I can understand the links between depression etc, and one thing I found that was very odd is that driving at night is a bit more difficult - it's actually quite surreal and hard to describe, and even now I still have a little trouble with my night vision, though that could be because of my constant headaches (which were before the Roacutane just fyi) Roaccutane/Accutane is a hardcore drug and while I'd do it again to get the same results, after going through it I'd have to think a little harder before signing up for it.

So bottom line - it works and works very well for most people (not all as MissAnthropik pointed out) if you and your dermatologist do decide to give it a go, be prepared for some side effects and a weird time. I don't know anyone that's been on it that hasn't had some form of side effect.
"There's a dress code and your skirt needs to actually cover your ass... I don't care where your tattoo is, you cannot show crack at the office."

Return to “Make-up & Skin Stuff”