The girls who work at MAC.... review?

Allexiyah

The girls who work at MAC.... review?

Post by Allexiyah » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:07 pm

I didnt know whether this went under the make up itself :lol:

I went to the one in Cardiff last year - first time i had bought a MAC liquid foundation - and asked for help, she matched my skin tone by looking at me then picking up a shade.

Thought nothing of it then got home and used it and it has an orange tint to it. So even with blending on my jaw line you can still see my face is slightly orange compared to my neck.

Anyone experienced this before? Maybe i was niaeve but i assumed someone who worked for MAC would match me no problems - unless its my face? Im not sure.

Either way im stuck with a £26 bottle of foundation that isnt right for me! :(

Phoenix

Re: The girls who work at MAC.... review?

Post by Phoenix » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:05 pm

I brought their studio fix powder a little while ago and asked someone to help me with the shades. She chose NW15 which was too orange for my skin. I went back last sunday for a liquid foundation and the girl matched me to NC15. When she looked at my account thingy I have on their computers she couldn't understand why I had previously been matched to the NW15.

I don't suppose you've been on holiday/got a tan this year? That could be the reason you were matched wrong

Paradisco

Post by Paradisco » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:06 pm

Yes! I went to the MAC store on Fillmore street in San Francisco, and I asked someone that worked there to help me find the right color foundation. When I got home, the color was a completely different shade from my own skin color. Maybe the lighting in their stores is different or something? Or the girls that work there are colorblind? XD

Bettedaviseyes

Post by Bettedaviseyes » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:44 pm

Ummm I am almost positive that if you returned to the store and told them you had been sold the wrong color they would gladly replace for the correct color, MAC is all about quality and they don't want people unhappy

KittenAttack

Post by KittenAttack » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:08 pm

This happened to me before not with MAC, but with 2 other foundation brands when I was at a department store(at separate times) and had salespeople try and match a foundation for my face. As soon as I got home or went outside, I realized they were too dark or orange for my skin-tone. I associate it with the lighting in the store. I always go outside immediately now before buying anything, then come back in and buy it or have them reapply a different shade

Spooki

Post by Spooki » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:11 am

years ago i remember reading that you should always match your makeup in natural light... a bit hard to do since everything is sold inside under fluorescent bulbs.

foundation is almost always too dark for me, even on the lightest shade. it's the worst in the winter when i get even paler.

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:38 pm

Bettedaviseyes wrote:Ummm I am almost positive that if you returned to the store and told them you had been sold the wrong color they would gladly replace for the correct color, MAC is all about quality and they don't want people unhappy
I'm not sure if they would take it back if it had been used since it's in an unsellable condition.

SoupyGeorge

Post by SoupyGeorge » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:16 am

I had someone from mac match my shade, and it's slightly orange on me, but it's because my skin is too fair for mac :oops:

But for the most part, they are talented, but they must be lagging lately because I went and got a make-over the other day(just bored with my mum, and she was in a crazy good mood) and it turned out awful. And I mean AWFUL. They had black shadow up to my eyebrows(as in LINING MY BROW), and then just one shade of pink the rest of the way down. And then dark brown lip stick........UGH, I was so embarassed afterwards, I just wanted to shove my face in a toilet.

SoupyGeorge

Post by SoupyGeorge » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:17 am

Phoenix wrote:
Bettedaviseyes wrote:Ummm I am almost positive that if you returned to the store and told them you had been sold the wrong color they would gladly replace for the correct color, MAC is all about quality and they don't want people unhappy
I'm not sure if they would take it back if it had been used since it's in an unsellable condition.
They're actually pretty good with returning stuff. I'm not sure if you can return, but I'm just saying.

If they send you something wrong in the mail, they will send it to you and let you keep the other stuff. Mac has the best customer service EVER.

SoupyGeorge

Post by SoupyGeorge » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:28 am

Spooki wrote:years ago i remember reading that you should always match your makeup in natural light... a bit hard to do since everything is sold inside under fluorescent bulbs.

foundation is almost always too dark for me, even on the lightest shade. it's the worst in the winter when i get even paler.
I've heard 'make up forever' has really good pale-girl foundation. You can get it at sephora. I think it;'s pricy, but I don't know, still haven't gotten the chance to get to a sephora(closest is 2 bus rides and a light rail ride away) Monroemisfitmakeup on youtube told me after I kept complaining about mac, lol!

edit: I post too much... :lol:

Hotmess

Post by Hotmess » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:54 am

SoupyGeorge wrote:
Phoenix wrote:
They're actually pretty good with returning stuff. I'm not sure if you can return, but I'm just saying.

If they send you something wrong in the mail, they will send it to you and let you keep the other stuff. Mac has the best customer service EVER.
I second this. I'm pretty sure that you can return the "incorrect" shade/type of makeup at any makeup department store. Many a time I've made trips back to Clinique and they have given me an exchange.

But remember,- when you are 100% positive that you makeup is not your skin tone, put it down and don't mess with it! Departments will take back products that have been first opened, or used 2 or 3 times. But if the makeup you purchased looks like its been in the bottom of your bag for some days, then you might run across some question whilst returning it.

Mischief

Post by Mischief » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:08 pm

SoupyGeorge wrote:
Spooki wrote:years ago i remember reading that you should always match your makeup in natural light... a bit hard to do since everything is sold inside under fluorescent bulbs.

I've heard 'make up forever' has really good pale-girl foundation. You can get it at sephora. I think it;'s pricy, but I don't know, still haven't gotten the chance to get to a sephora(closest is 2 bus rides and a light rail ride away) Monroemisfitmakeup on youtube told me after I kept complaining about mac, lol!

edit: I post too much... :lol:
Mhm, a woman who works at Sephora matched me up with MFE foundation and it blended in very well and I have the hardest time finding foundations because I'm so freakin' pale.

I bought my MAC foundation from online but I did go to the store for other items and the woman there was very helpful and once I explained to her what I was looking for she knew just what I was talking about and showed me jut what I was looking for.

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:29 pm

i know for a fact that the mac counter in a shop near me will hire girls with realitivly little make up experience. awful i know.
I bent my wookie!!

fustmuffin

Post by fustmuffin » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:02 am

i had the same problem too, and i took it back! Just try and take it back, im sure they will be fine with it

Lorny

Post by Lorny » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:15 pm

The problem I think is that they match the foundation to the colour of the face.

I get problems all the time with my make up, cuz I have rosy cheeks but my skin everywhere else is very pale with yellow in it. Most foundations I buy always look orange so unless I am going to be wearing a a high neck top or something I don't bother wearing any.
I am neither blue nor red. I am a proud recruit of the Indecisive Army!

starlight

Post by starlight » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:34 pm

Lorny wrote:The problem I think is that they match the foundation to the colour of the face.

I get problems all the time with my make up, cuz I have rosy cheeks but my skin everywhere else is very pale with yellow in it. Most foundations I buy always look orange so unless I am going to be wearing a a high neck top or something I don't bother wearing any.
that sounds exactly like my skin.. EVERYTHING i try in a store seems to come out too orange... I've got some mineral stuff from fyrinnae that seems to match well, but it's a pain to get good coverage with.. all I tend to use for day-to-day is some oil control powder, foundation is too much effort :lol:

ClaireCalavera

Post by ClaireCalavera » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:31 am

Aww that is a shame, I've always had exemplary service from the girls and guys at my local MAC store. Although when I walked in and said "I need the lightest, palest foundation you have" I wasn't wrong lol - I got the Studio Fix in an NC15 and a Matte powder in Light and the combo work perfectly for evening out my skin :) It's always a joy to go talk to my local MAC staff as they are happy to explain all the products and different ways to use them, and they put up with all my ooohs and aaaahs and the fact I'm usually in there for half an hour looking at all the different colours :roll: lol
"Make any joke you want, you know I look good" - Stewie Griffin

Dude

Post by Dude » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:43 am

Lorny wrote:I get problems all the time with my make up, cuz I have rosy cheeks but my skin everywhere else is very pale with yellow in it. Most foundations I buy always look orange so unless I am going to be wearing a a high neck top or something I don't bother wearing any.
I have the same problem. I wear conceler now and thats it. I gave up with foundation.
There are no personal problems which cannot be solved through suitable application of high explosives.

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:43 pm

Hotmess wrote:
SoupyGeorge wrote:
Phoenix wrote: I'm not sure if they would take it back if it had been used since it's in an unsellable condition.

I second this. I'm pretty sure that you can return the "incorrect" shade/type of makeup at any makeup department store. Many a time I've made trips back to Clinique and they have given me an exchange.

But remember,- when you are 100% positive that you makeup is not your skin tone, put it down and don't mess with it! Departments will take back products that have been first opened, or used 2 or 3 times. But if the makeup you purchased looks like its been in the bottom of your bag for some days, then you might run across some question whilst returning it.
Thats what I was saying. I didn't think they would take the makeup back if it's been used. It would be like buying a thong, trying it on deciding it didn't suit you then trying to return it. (Okay maybe not that gross...)

zwdesigns

Post by zwdesigns » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:39 pm

I won't comment too much on the Mac staff but here are a few tips to buying a foundation and getting matched.

1: Go foundation shopping with no makeup on.
2: Get the assistant to put their/your choice on your whole face.
3: Go outside and check under daylight/natural light to see how it looks on your skin.
4: If you are happy with how it looks, ask for a sample and take it home and try using it yourself and complete it with the rest of your usual/going out makeup.
5: Then if you are happy with it colour, longevity, useability and how it works with your other products then BUY IT!!!!

Nearly all counter staff will give you samples. If they are confident in their product and ability as an artist. Even if you just ask for a tiny amount for a one off use.

Having first hand experience as a makeup artist and a counter artist these are the best tips I can give you.
Even if the colour is right you need to know you can work with the product and it's longevity etc.
I know the whole process is a lengthy one but it is worth it. Try as many as you can before you buy. It's better than having a load of foundation you won't wear and a waste of money.

Hope this helps you in the quest for finding the perfect foundation.
Each day is better than the day before.

plum poison

Post by plum poison » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:23 pm

i went to the mac shop in brighton and the girl matched my foundation absolutely spot on. she was brilliant, told me to go look at it outside in a mirror for natural light aswell. i have a slightly yellowy tone to my skin too and the one she gave me was perfect.

Return to “Make-up & Skin Stuff”