cleaning false eyelashes

kyandii

cleaning false eyelashes

Post by kyandii » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:00 pm

-I think this sounds so weird-
Im wanting to clean my false eyelashes as they have quite a few coats of mascara on and are starting to apear clumpy and fake. what can i do to clean them without damaging them?

coma_dream

Re: cleaning false eyelashes

Post by coma_dream » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:03 pm

I think they should be ok to clean carefully in soapy water.
Although lashes aren't build to last that long. :(
I get sad about chucking old lashes, especially the pretty ones.
Hugs. xx

Ice_Pick_Abortions

Post by Ice_Pick_Abortions » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:36 pm

you can try using soap and water but it could ruin the lashes. you should alays apply mascara first and let it dry before applying false lashes to avoid this situation and prolong the life of the lashes
"I have had many troubles, most of which never happened." - Mark Twain
"Let us not love with words or tongue, but with actions and in truth."

In the ranks of the Indecisive Army..

GolGotha

Post by GolGotha » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:47 pm

What I think she means is that whilst they were on she applied mascara to them.

I would gently try and wipe them with a facial wipe :)

MissAnthropik

Post by MissAnthropik » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:50 pm

I have never worn mascara on my fake lashes - I would always put on eye make-up including mascara, then eyelashes, then maybe an additional line of liquid liner above the lash line. I have never had an lashes which would need mascara on.

I would also disagree that lashes aren't built to last. If you take care of them and put them back in the box after use they can last ages. My first ever pair is still one of my favourites, they are starting to look a little dog eared now, but you can't tell when they are on, they were only cheapish ones (about 4 quid I think) and I have had them 12 years!!! Obviously I don't wear them everyday, but they have had a lot of wear.

In regards to yours though, I would think the best thing would be to soak them in warm soapy water and then gently wipe them with a tissue, or maybe even a cotton bud dipped in eye make-up remover. Then in future I would avoid putting mascara on them. Mascara can harbour germs anyway, you don't want something harbouring germs so close to your eyes, could end up with a nasty infection. If you don't feel they are long enough or bold enough I think you would be better looking for an alternative style. They sell them in MAC or my superdrug has a great selection, or ebay, there are loads of great ones on ebay.
telling it like it is!

kyandii

Post by kyandii » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:17 pm

I was told to put mascara on after to make them look more natural. I used eye makeup remover on them and it worked fine :i2:

MissAnthropik

Post by MissAnthropik » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:52 pm

well I am not a make-up artist or anything, but you can buy very natural looking fake eyelashes which don't require mascara, or very unnatural looking ones which don't require mascara (which tend to be the sort I wear! Although I do still get people who think they are real!).

Obviously it's up to you, whatever works for you, but maybe you should try them without mascara and see what you think, if you still prefer the mascara then go for it, but be prepared for the fact it will probably shorten the life of your lashes.
telling it like it is!

faticeira

Post by faticeira » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:34 pm

I found that the body shop eye make-up remover liquid was the only one that wasn't greasy and took off the glue as well as the mascara.

iamdolleyes

Post by iamdolleyes » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:09 pm

a really gentle makeup remover is oil...(sounds gross) but something like apricot kernel or grapeseed is nice and gentle, just use a bit on a qtip and run down the lash from "root" to tip, and then you can remove the oil residue with a gentle soap or cleanser. not that makeup remover won't work..i just dislike chemical formulas if i can use something natural
bonus, from what i've read, apricot kernel used as eye makeup remover is nourishing to your skin..it's non clogging and it has 'anti aging' properties - meaning it isn't drying, harmful, and it helps the tissue stay firm and supple. if you wear a lot of makeup this is probably a good idea

the oil can also help removing any glue residue that might stick around and make the lashes bulky, just be delicate with them :)
i like my coffee black
just like my metal

Return to “Make-up & Skin Stuff”