in between colours...

MissAnthropik

in between colours...

Post by MissAnthropik » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:17 pm

What do you do with your brushes when you change colours. For instance I have 2 eyeshadow brushes and about 40 different colours of eyeshadow. What do you do when you have used one colour, and then need to use another, but your brush has the first colour still on it? Is there a quick cleaning solution, or does it have to be a full wash each time? I have tried just trying to clean off any excess on a tissue, but the colours still look a bit muddy. Is there a solution to this or do i just need more brushes?
telling it like it is!

Miss Liberty

Re: in between colours...

Post by Miss Liberty » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:24 pm

I rigorously rub mine back and forth along a tissue, but you're right, sometimes it doesn't quite do the job, especially if I'm working with a dark color. If I think ahead enough I can try to plan out with my two brushes to get the job done....

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:31 pm

I use one brush for light/soft colours and one for dark/bright, that way my light purples don't end up with acid green tinges and vice versa. When I have lots of brushes (ie I have found them again) I keep one specifically for white/highlight shadow and one specifically for black. I use the same technique for cleaning as Miss Liberty.

VixenSingsBlack

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:39 pm

I keep one for darks, one for brights, and one for whites/lights. I plan to order from CrownBrush so I can have a brush for each general color scheme (like 1 for pinks/reds, 1 for yellows/oranges, 1 for greens/teals, 1 for blue/purple, etc). To clean I rub very vigorously on a tissue and whack it on the side of a counter back and forth. I also use my clean finger tips to apply shadow a lot, so it's easier.

I also wash my brushes about once a week with a mild shampoo to keep them bacteria and build up free.

cherrygloom

Post by cherrygloom » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:53 pm

I just use a cotton-bud to apply my eyeshadow instead! I know this may not be an option for soft blending etc. (I tend to just splodge it on, I save my precision for my liquid liner) but it's great if you just want to get some colour on there. Then just throw it away! No muddy colours, and very hygenic.

Ice_Pick_Abortions

Post by Ice_Pick_Abortions » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:43 pm

i just use the other side of the brush as i only ever get eyeshadow on one side. plus it helps blending to have a bit of both colours anyways.

i use different brushes for each part too, like one of my lid, one for above the crease, one for the crease, highlight brush, blending brush and about a liner brushes. i also have more than one brush for each part too.
"I have had many troubles, most of which never happened." - Mark Twain
"Let us not love with words or tongue, but with actions and in truth."

In the ranks of the Indecisive Army..

GolGotha

Post by GolGotha » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:21 am

Last edited by GolGotha on Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pallidity

Post by Pallidity » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:04 am

I'd definately invest in more brushes, but even someone such as myself (I have nearly all of the crown brushes at this point, duplicates of several too) runs out. I have a "rag" (an old dish towel) that I wash once a week and use. Tissue tends to leave little bits of...stuff in the brush, but if you get a towel you can really rub the brush in to without getting a weird residue.

CherryLex

Post by CherryLex » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:07 pm

Ice_Pick_Abortions wrote:i just use the other side of the brush as i only ever get eyeshadow on one side. plus it helps blending to have a bit of both colours anyways.

i use different brushes for each part too, like one of my lid, one for above the crease, one for the crease, highlight brush, blending brush and about a liner brushes. i also have more than one brush for each part too.

Ditto this. If my brushes are all dirty & I need to re-use one I just use the other side of one that's got a similar or complimenting color on the reverse side. That way if it does blend a bit it'll look OK.
But then I have a ton of brushes from Crown, I'm just too lazy to clean them sometimes.
Invader blood marches through my veins like radio active rubber pants!
THE PANTS COMMAND ME!!!
Do not ignore my veins!

MissAnthropik

Post by MissAnthropik » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:21 pm

thanks people. I do try cleaning them on a tissue, but it doesn't get them completely clean. I will try the towel while i save up for more brushes.

Are crown brushes vegan? I am presuming not...
telling it like it is!

Ice_Pick_Abortions

Post by Ice_Pick_Abortions » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:28 pm

i've no idea but they're normally pretty good at answering queries if you want to ask
"I have had many troubles, most of which never happened." - Mark Twain
"Let us not love with words or tongue, but with actions and in truth."

In the ranks of the Indecisive Army..

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:31 pm

MissAnthropik wrote:thanks people. I do try cleaning them on a tissue, but it doesn't get them completely clean. I will try the towel while i save up for more brushes.

Are crown brushes vegan? I am presuming not...
these guys have vegan brushes if your interested
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=2857
I bent my wookie!!

kaned_ferret

Post by kaned_ferret » Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:46 pm

I always use my brush slightly dampened when i'm applying colours, so I can get away with giving it a thorough rinse under hot water between colours then soaking the excess off with a clean towel which near-dries it anyways :)

tazzyface

Post by tazzyface » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:39 am

MissAnthropik wrote:Are crown brushes vegan? I am presuming not...
The ones marked as "taklon" are synthetic :)
More human than human

Pallidity

Post by Pallidity » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:39 am

I'm not sure if Crown has anything Vegan. Hrm. I would ask them before shelling out $14+ on a brush, as I'm fairly sure I've seen brushes similar, if not identical, to the Afterglow brushes on Crown.

MissAnthropik

Post by MissAnthropik » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:06 pm

yeah, i don't really want the afterglow brushes as I already have urban decay and Bnever brushes. I would only consider another brand if they were cheap, otherwise I would just buy more from one of those brands
telling it like it is!

[Tank]

Post by [Tank] » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:53 pm

I go with what everyone else says, I keep a mini flat brush for nothing but highlighting, otherwise I just rub my brushes off vigourously after using them =]
To begin with, a dog is not mad. you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I am mad.

Return to “Make-up & Skin Stuff”