Make-up *Bad Reviews*

faticeira

Make-up *Bad Reviews*

Post by faticeira » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:16 am

Post all of you negative reviews for all make-up items in this thread. Make sure it is because the product did not do what it claims to do.

*Please note that allergic reactions are more personal and do not affect everyone else.

Make the product name the first sentence so it is clear and then write your review underneath.

SoupyGeorge

Re: Make-up *Bad Reviews*

Post by SoupyGeorge » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:14 am

Clinique eye shadow base
It does nothing for me. I still use it(I hate not using stuff), but it might even make my shadow crease FASTER. It makes my shadows very sheer and shimmery. It's a good concealer though, lol!

Hotmess

Post by Hotmess » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:26 am

Mary Kate and Ashley Cosmetics - Black Eyeliner
I don't know what I was doing when I bough this. I was in walmart the other day and I needed a quick black eyeliner mechanical pencil so I picked up Mary Kate & Ashley's since is was so Cheap. And Cheap is this stuff indeed! The Eyeliner was called Black Glitter, and it disappeared within 2 hours.

Spooki

Post by Spooki » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:18 pm

Rimmel Cool Matte 16 Hr Mousse Foundation
This is by far the worst thing i've ever done to my face. I think giving myself a facial with hot grease from a deep fryer would've been better. It's watery and applies splotchy and thin. It's not cool (unless you stick it in the fridge) and it's not very matte. It doesn't cover well and rubs off easily. Worst of all it gives me horrid break outs, not good for sensitive skin or oily and combination skin. The only plus is it smells good.

on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best i would give this product a -1!

faticeira

Post by faticeira » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:48 pm

Wet and Wild Nail Hardener

Maybe it is too moisturising as it just peels off your nails, almost in one go.

Miss_Panda

Post by Miss_Panda » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:53 pm

rimmel recover foundation
awful to use makes my skin sting! and isn't very easy to apply either, used in the colour ivory and it seems too orangey for my skin tone not impressed at all! and dosne't give a matt finish
Miss Panda - Paint The World In Neon Colours

The Black and White Army = Panda "Salute me Solider"

Moody108

Post by Moody108 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:53 pm

stargazer pressed eyeshadows

they just don't stay on your skin! it helps to put a "greasy" base like vaseline or light coloured pencil eyeliner on under the eyeshadow. it's a shame really because some of the colours are lovely.

however, the loose powder eyeshadow has staying power!
Never trust someone who's gonna live forever, they don't have enough to lose
Formerly known as kikky_lou

MissAnthropik

Post by MissAnthropik » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:29 pm

kikky_lou wrote:stargazer pressed eyeshadows

they just don't stay on your skin! it helps to put a "greasy" base like vaseline or light coloured pencil eyeliner on under the eyeshadow. it's a shame really because some of the colours are lovely.
IAWTC... a shame, but require so much work to get them to go on evenly, just when you think you have done it you seem to wipe it off again! I was also horrified when I discovered they were UV reactive. I had had no idea, and would never have worn UV make-up without putting it on in UV light. Looked even more uneven under UV than in normal light
telling it like it is!

[Tank]

Post by [Tank] » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:34 pm

The only good Stargazer pressed shadow I find is their purple over a good base - and that's actually quite good, looks good applied wet. But otherwise I'd have to agree 100%, absolute pants, especially their lighter colours and UV range - the green was terrible, wouldnt apply well AT ALL, went on uneven and powdery and disappeared within 5 minutes. Also had terrible fall-out, and this was even with UDPP.
To begin with, a dog is not mad. you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I am mad.

Rhaeniel

Post by Rhaeniel » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:06 am

MissAnthropik wrote:
kikky_lou wrote:stargazer pressed eyeshadows

IAWTC... a shame, but require so much work to get them to go on evenly, just when you think you have done it you seem to wipe it off again! I was also horrified when I discovered they were UV reactive. I had had no idea, and would never have worn UV make-up without putting it on in UV light. Looked even more uneven under UV than in normal light
I noticed that with other people who've worn Stargazer - it looks really bad under UV lights!
Having said that, the black stargazer eyeshadow I have I use quite a lot. It seems to go on and stay on fine.
http://hairextensionsforum.com/viewtopi ... 92&t=14004 <Midlands Summer Meet 2011, photos now up.

BossyLibraryLady

Post by BossyLibraryLady » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:55 am

Mary Kay mineral makeup

I swear that this stuff is at least 50% talcum powder - no matter how much you apply, the coverage is rubbish and my skin really took offense. You'd be better off spending twice as much and buying a decent-quality mineral makeup instead - you only need to use about half as much and it would wind up costing the same.

Sugarpuss

Post by Sugarpuss » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:48 pm

Barry M Translucent Powder in Light

I got it in the mail today, and it smells like old granny-soap! And the smell is really strong, too. SO disappointing.
Dance! Dance! Dance!

MissAnthropik

Post by MissAnthropik » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:35 am

Urban Decay - surrealist skin foundation

It really pains me to do this as I adore urban decay products normally, and support their ethical stance. However, this foundation is a real let down. The bottle is designed to look like some sort of middle eastern potion bottle or something, and herein lies the first problem... it is a squeezy bottle with a nozzle on the end. When you squeeze nothing much happens, so you shake it down and squeeze again, not much happens, so you manage to squeeze with more fingers, which is a bit difficult as you need a hand to be squeezing it into as well, and then you end up with too much, but due to the nozzle style end there is no way of getting it back in. The bottle is very very annoying (despite being pretty).

I could probably handle the bottle except the foundation feels sticky on my skin. It is hard to blend and apply smoothly, and just leaves me with a sticky feeling, so I have to apply powder, whereas normally I would only apply powder to my T-zone.

On the plus side it has good coverage, and is long lasting throughout the day.

I can be bothered to use up what I have left, but I won't be buying a replacement for it when it has gone

ETA: since writing this review i should note that 3 separate people have all commented on how amazing my skin looks. Now i don't have amazing skin so it must be this foundation, so it's not all bad!

However, having got the knack of the bottle and managing to get just the right amount out, now it is running out and I have to squeeze harder it has got harder to use, blobbing out huge amounts all of ba sudden with no way to get it back in the bottle. Stupid design.
telling it like it is!

LFDKreations

Post by LFDKreations » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:22 pm

Cover Girl Line Exact

I heard that felt tip liquid eyeliner was great to use, especially if your new to liquid liner. So I went and bought one. I am not very pleased. I had to purchase 6 to get one that wasn't dried out, and now that one works it isn't very dark going onto the skin.

CherryLex

Post by CherryLex » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:35 pm

Pure Luxe Cosmetics eyeshadow

When applied the colors were much lighter than they appeared in the jar, were hard to blend and swiped off with just a touch. Not to mention they crease and move all around your eyelid. Probably some of the worst eyeshadow I've ever used.
Invader blood marches through my veins like radio active rubber pants!
THE PANTS COMMAND ME!!!
Do not ignore my veins!

Rhaeniel

Post by Rhaeniel » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:47 am

Gosh nail polish in 'Holographic'

I don't know if it's just this particular colour or the whole Gosh range of nail polishes (as I haven't tried any other Gosh polishes) but it's AWFUL!
It goes on patchy no matter how many coats I put on and then it chips off overnight! I put three layers on one evening and the following morning it was cracked and chipped all over! I put another two coats on the next evening and then covered it with a coat of clear polish and it still only stayed on for one more day before chipping again. I didn't even do anything in that time, no washing up, nothing - I just went shopping.. so there was no reason for it to chip off like that.

The colour is lovely, but the chipping drives me insane - it's not even a particularly cheap nail polish (I think it was a fiver)
Don't buy it!
http://hairextensionsforum.com/viewtopi ... 92&t=14004 <Midlands Summer Meet 2011, photos now up.

Miss Spookiness

Post by Miss Spookiness » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:26 pm

All Loreal

Anytime i've ever bought anything Loreal its been terrible, even their hair dyes, i avoid their stuff like the plague! lol

Rimmel Mousse eyeshadow

I think thats right, it comes in a glass pot with a black lid.
I bought two, one in black which nearly burned my eyelids off and was terrible, sticky and didnt blend AT ALL
One in dark blue which was like liquid
So both went back and i swapped one for a white shade as i though maybe it would blend under the brow bone nicely, as it wasnt a solid colour, but no, sticky, as you blend it goes dry and lumpy and flakes off, terrible!

Prestige Minerals

I bought some of this, a little pricey, though it would be nice, bought the palest shade and its horrible!
It goes on a funny shade, makes my face look dirty and terrible coverage, im even dubious as to whether it really is mineral foundation. The colours quite disgusting actually.

Bourgeois (sp?) lol Shimmer liquid shadow, its quite new

Comes in a tall pot, and if u manage to get the damn thing open, its got an applicator inside, and its a thick cream, but it doesnt blend at all, doesnt go on smooth, its far too thick and dries too quick to get it on, total waste of money.

kyandii

Post by kyandii » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:42 pm

Spooki wrote:Rimmel Cool Matte 16 Hr Mousse Foundation
This is by far the worst thing i've ever done to my face. I think giving myself a facial with hot grease from a deep fryer would've been better. It's watery and applies splotchy and thin. It's not cool (unless you stick it in the fridge) and it's not very matte. It doesn't cover well and rubs off easily. Worst of all it gives me horrid break outs, not good for sensitive skin or oily and combination skin. The only plus is it smells good.

this and Maybeline Dream Matte Mousse are so bad I dislike using them so much
although I do think that rimmel cool matte is the worst out of the two.

Sporky

Post by Sporky » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:05 am

Rhaeniel wrote:Gosh nail polish in 'Holographic'

but it's AWFUL!

Don't buy it!
Really? I ave the wild lilac one and it's one of the best nail polishes i've used. Normally whatever nail polish I have on chips within one day when i'm at work (in a shop, ripping open boxes and such) but this one lasted a respectable 2 days before it chipped at all

Lilinth

Post by Lilinth » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:28 pm

rimmel mono eyeshadow in glitzed
looks really good and metallic and for the first applicatrion it really is, then it turns out only the topl layer of the powder is a metallic colour, hiding under it is nothing but generic grey.
/emmy x

Pallidity

Post by Pallidity » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:49 am

kyandii wrote:
Spooki wrote:Rimmel Cool Matte 16 Hr Mousse Foundation

this and Maybeline Dream Matte Mousse are so bad I dislike using them so much
although I do think that rimmel cool matte is the worst out of the two.
I really liked the Maybeline Dream Matte Mouse. I liked it so much, actually, that I put up with the lightest shade being a few shades too dark on me just to wear it :P

abby_carnage

Post by abby_carnage » Thu May 21, 2009 3:18 pm

URBAN DECAY COLOURED PENCIL EYELINERS
I absolutely adore urban decay so it pains me to do this but has anybody else had a problem with these liners? I had a pack of 5 (i think) as a crimbo present and was so ecstatic at first. I tested them out and they were super bright :) However, the pencils are sooo soft, after using my black liner say about 5 times, it completely wore down. Now, i only use them occasionally as they will run out and are pretty dear. :S Maybe this is because they are the miniature versions and not the full pencils? Seems a bit odd really? They also smudge a lot on me? x

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Thu May 21, 2009 3:30 pm

That's really strange. I love my 24/7 pencils. What do you mean by wore down? The softness means they can be smudged and aren't harsh on the inner rims like some harder pencils can be but they're the only pencils I've found which don't wear off when I wear them.

abby_carnage

Post by abby_carnage » Thu May 21, 2009 3:47 pm

Phoenix wrote:That's really strange. I love my 24/7 pencils. What do you mean by wore down? The softness means they can be smudged and aren't harsh on the inner rims like some harder pencils can be but they're the only pencils I've found which don't wear off when I wear them.
At first i thought the softness was great as they wear easier to apply. But i cant get a thinner smooth application, it just goes a bit 'fat' like an eyeshadow. Any tips? x

kyandii

Post by kyandii » Thu May 21, 2009 6:03 pm

Barry M 150 Red glitter nail paint

Oh my gosh, I don't want to write this but
I hate this stuff
Its a really nice color but when you put it on it feels like you stuck your nails in sand, the glitter is actual lumps of glitter. It feels terrible I ended up taking it off within 2 hours. I guess you'd have to put a thick layer of clear coat over the top.

Return to “Make-up & Skin Stuff”