Hair Products *Bad Reviews*

Twiggy

Re: Hair Products *Bad Reviews*

Post by Twiggy » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:04 am

Splat hair color

I picked this stuff up from a drug store because it was cheap and used the pink on my friends hair and used some left overs on my hair, It started out pretty nice color of pink but then faded 2 days later into a weird shade of pink i don't even have a name for and STAYED in my hair for 1 year, even went to the hair salon and got my hair black where the pink is and platinum blond and some pink is still there. the stylist was baffled. :shock: the stuff just doesn't come out of your hair
<<Giggles, Lollipops && Firearms>>

Cyan1deCandy Dreads

zombiejunkyard

Post by zombiejunkyard » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:36 pm

Pallidity wrote:Special Effects (SFX) hair dye

I've used this dye on several occassions, and have used several shades of pink, purple, and blue. I've always applied it to bleached hair, and each time the dye has lasted, at most, two days before fading to a very light color. I've attempted to heat set it, have applied it to clean and dirty hair that has been dry and towel dried. I've tried applying it with conditioner, dying the hair multiple times in one evening, etc. It never stays in for more than one or two washes before fading. I have a feeling that it doesn't hold up well to harder water. Definately not worth the money to have it shipped when Manic Panic and Beyond Zone are readily available at Sallys for less (usually buy 1 get 1 free, too). Several friends have had similar experiences, two of whom are hairdressing students. Go figure.
I use to swear by this stuff. But anytime I've used it within the last 3 years it hasn't worked. Even on bleached/lightened hair it only gave it a nasty looking tint. So I've since moved on to MP and written off SFX.
I'll be back before this banana hits the ground. ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM!

zombiejunkyard

Post by zombiejunkyard » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:38 pm

Twiggy wrote:Splat hair color

I picked this stuff up from a drug store because it was cheap and used the pink on my friends hair and used some left overs on my hair, It started out pretty nice color of pink but then faded 2 days later into a weird shade of pink i don't even have a name for and STAYED in my hair for 1 year, even went to the hair salon and got my hair black where the pink is and platinum blond and some pink is still there. the stylist was baffled. :shock: the stuff just doesn't come out of your hair

Ooooh yeah. Stay away from this junk. Bleached my hair and tried to dye it pink and purple. I'm very careful with lines and such so I know the dyes didn't get mixed. The purple turned brown. It was icky. Thumbs down for Splat.
I'll be back before this banana hits the ground. ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM!

pixiesixx

Post by pixiesixx » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:16 am

one of the grimmest shampoo's ive ever tried is the vo5 elixir shampoo deep nourishing one. it smelled pretty bad in my opinion, but it made my hair greasy and lank after the first time of even using it, the conditioner was the same, my hair is really dry but gets greasy quite fast too, this made my hair greasy instantly

CandyBubbles

Post by CandyBubbles » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:37 pm

Special Effects Dye - Deep Purple
I love Special Effects, however this dye is so annoying. It leave traces of purple everywhere; clothes, pillow cases, shower basin, my straightener, my skin - I'm constantly purple. Don't go out in the rain with this dye unless you want to be purple :oops: :?

uid

Post by uid » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:38 am

Punky Colour Gel, tried this in 'sea green' and it added a gross tint to the hair, didn't turn anywhere near the color it was supposed to. i think it's now discontinued though, which makes sense if that's how it worked!

Miss Spookiness

Post by Miss Spookiness » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:03 pm

I hate Loreal dyes, the have never worked, i avoid anything loreal actually, their shampoos make my hair greasy and their makeup is dreadful

Tresemme is the worst ive ever used, it actually made my scalp bleed, i had a regular shampoo and conditioner and it was like it burned my scalp off, i could hardly even brush my hair and there was blood on my brush and hands when i touched my head, ive never had such a horrific experience, i thought it must be because it aggravated the eczema on my scalp that i sometimes get, but nothing has ever done anything like that bfor or since, not even bleach!
Then i met my bf a year after and he told me about how he had the same experience with Tresemme products and hes got nothing wrong with his scalp. Cheap crap with a name slapped on it. I cant describe how horrible it was, took ages to get my scalp better and was so painful :cry:

Also i'll second fudge dyes.
Had my hair done at the hairdresser a royal blue colour over bleach to get petrol green, washed out within the first week, then i used a lighter blue, that washed out after the first couple of washes. Absolute rubbish!

Dark_Minx

Post by Dark_Minx » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:43 pm

CandyBubbles wrote:Manic Panic - Virgin Snow Toner

I bleached my hair carefully three times and applied the toner awhile after. I read the instuctions, applied heat and let it set to absorb and it didn't live up to it's name unfortunatley. Instead it got rid of some unwanted brassy/gingery tones (if you can tell), but that's it. It wasn't worth the $23 in my opinion :(

I second this!

I've used their colours before and loved them but came to use their Snow White toner and it did pretty much nothing. I applied it on my very light blonde and wrapped it in clingfilm and applied heat. I slept on it and it was in for a good 4-5 hours, washed it off and I swear there was next to no difference. I had a few white streaks and a few pale lilac streaks but the rest just stayed the same. It looked fairly cool but it wasn't worth the £10 I spent to get it sent to me!!

SilverSmear

Post by SilverSmear » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:35 am

Bad Reviews and Evil Things To do to Your Hair:

Bad Reviews:

Vo5 Body Shampoo- Evil stuff. Made my fine hair brittle.

Aveeno: Body/Volume Shampoo (whatever the red text one). Haven't used much of it yet but it seems to do nothing much. Smells kind of weirdly nice tho.

Herbal Essences Body Envy- It smells great but I am not really using it for more than bubble bath atm. My OH tried it and it didn't really do much for his hair.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad." Lewis Carroll

brandalynn

Post by brandalynn » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:23 pm

Salon Care Professional Quick White

This bleach is HORRIBLE!!! It barely lifts and totally wrecked my hair. I used as directed and results were sh*t. Beware of Quick White, it is nothing like Quick Blue (the good stuff).
"Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes" --- bumper sticker---

Miss Liberty

Post by Miss Liberty » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:25 pm

CandyBubbles wrote:Special Effects Dye - Deep Purple
I love Special Effects, however this dye is so annoying. It leave traces of purple everywhere; clothes, pillow cases, shower basin, my straightener, my skin - I'm constantly purple. Don't go out in the rain with this dye unless you want to be purple :oops: :?

I must say I have to agree. I have used MANY shades of SFX but this is by far the messiest. Many of the colors bleed a little at first, but this one goes on for weeks and weeks. I dyed my hair the day before Halloween and it is STILL turning things purple.

Its a BEAUTIFUL shade. I get many compliments, but I just don't know if it is worth the mess. I have gotten every other colors out of the shower, but this one is here to stay!

bluexeon

Post by bluexeon » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:01 pm

Manic Panick - Cotton candy pink??

I had nearly white hair when i used this, what can I say, absolutely useless. It turned my hair a horible peach colour, after panicking it looked so horrible, i put the rest of the £8 a jar hair dye on to even it out and it just went even peacher or didnt work at all in places. This was a total rip off. Ive seen so many photos of people with this colour in and none of them looked like this.

Taraiha

Post by Taraiha » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:54 am

Miss_Panda wrote:
Neon Black wrote:Simple shampoo and conditioner

I've only use the one for coloured hair, but I bought it as I have a sensitive scalp/skin and was getting a rash right down my back (I have waist lenght hair) from the other shampoo/conditioner I was using, and while it didn't irritate my skin anymore, my hair felt very dry and dull after using it, it tangled really easily and felt really course and just looked awful.
I gave up using it, would rather have an itchy back than rubbish hair ;)
i second that! the shampoo made my hair dry and and look extremely dull
I third that, but on a more positive note, now I have real dreads I've started using the shampoo again and it's great for baby knots!
I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offense. But we could take the safety labels off everything and let nature run its course.

Spooki

Post by Spooki » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:21 pm

garnier herbashine hair dye
i bought this because my last dye job had faded badly and it only takes 10 minutes. the positives are that it did make my hair shiny and the conditioner was really nice. the negatives are that it really didn't dye anything. i bought it in dark brown and my hair looks exactly the same only shinier, faded medium brown with medium brown + blonde highlight roots.

needless to say i won't be wasting money on this dye again. :(

Paine Fury

Post by Paine Fury » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:54 pm

Schwarzkopf's XXL Live Colour in R43

This used to religiously be my hair-dye for years, and I love being a red-head. I was used to the slight leaking and orangeness but since they changed to Waterproof the quality has greatly dimished for me.

No matter how well you put the dye in, you're washing orange for weeks afterwards, and it's not as waterproof as they say - if you're caught in the rain without a hat you also leak. Plus, I know all red dye fades eventually but I'm finding my tips turning orange much quicker, and I'm having to re-do it more often than normal.

When it's the first week/week and a half, it looks fantastic, and I love that intense redness, but it fades fast.
"I am to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

mrshennejoyner

Post by mrshennejoyner » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:09 pm

Dark_Minx wrote:
CandyBubbles wrote:Manic Panic - Virgin Snow Toner

I bleached my hair carefully three times and applied the toner awhile after. I read the instuctions, applied heat and let it set to absorb and it didn't live up to it's name unfortunatley. Instead it got rid of some unwanted brassy/gingery tones (if you can tell), but that's it. It wasn't worth the $23 in my opinion :(

I second this!

I've used their colours before and loved them but came to use their Snow White toner and it did pretty much nothing. I applied it on my very light blonde and wrapped it in clingfilm and applied heat. I slept on it and it was in for a good 4-5 hours, washed it off and I swear there was next to no difference. I had a few white streaks and a few pale lilac streaks but the rest just stayed the same. It looked fairly cool but it wasn't worth the £10 I spent to get it sent to me!!
I had the same problem. I tried this on my blonde streak on more than one occasion with little results. It may have toned the brassiness down a bit, but nothing dramatic. So I wasted my money and am now stuck with a little tub of toner that I will probably never use. Ugh. I'm going blonde again this week. Maaaaaaybe I will give it another tryt

Update. 6/4/10
I just went back to blonde. It came out a little brassy so I figured this would be the perfect time to give that Snow White another go. Long story short, I now have gold hair with a purple stripe. Not exactly what I was going for. Hair fail. (o_O)

heartofdarkness

Post by heartofdarkness » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:39 pm

Schwarzkopf Live XXL Hair Dyes

I used to swear by these dyes for years, didn't have a bad word to say about them. They would go on vibrantly, and even after it had faded would still be a beautiful colour. But then they changed the formula, and from then on it all went downhill.

First off, the Deep Black dye started going on blackish brown rather than black. Not wanting to bleach it, I decided to grow it out, and start dyeing the roots a different colour. So I decided on Red Passion, which had always looked really good on me in the past. The colour didn't quite take properly - you could see my natural reddish brown colour clearly through it, but the dye itself, what you could see of it, did at least go the lovely vibrant colour it was meant to go.

Not long afterwards, I shaved my head completely clean as it was seriously damaged from over zealous heat styling. When it had grown back thick enough to spike up, I tried dyeing it with Cyber Purple, which had always been my favourite Live colour. Instead of going a vibrant reddish purple as it had gone before, it went a really dark purplish brown, and faded to what was basically my natural colour with a tinge of purple. Disappointed, I gave the Red Passion another go, but the same thing happened; went on extremely dark, and faded to a colour very close to my natural colour.

I'm really disappointed that they changed the formula of their dyes, as I always loved them in the past, but I won't be using them ever again. I had it dark for many years and got bored of it eventually, so now I will probably be bleaching it to use bright semi permanent dyes instead.

Mkatsi

Post by Mkatsi » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:09 pm

La Riche Poppy red.
I know alot of people have had good results with this, and I usually swear by La Riche, but I know by experience from myself and others (Bomber for another one) that if you use this colour on white blonde hair, it comes out PINK. Not red, at all, but the most bright, bright pink.

Daisydreads

Post by Daisydreads » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:25 pm

Silver... thing by Stargazer.... it did NOTHING! :i6:
It was supposed to make blonde hair white/silverish. Nothing happened... :i6:

Really weird cause I totally go for Stargazer shocking pink and magenta!!!! :P :P :P

Mkatsi

Post by Mkatsi » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:50 am

Daisydreads wrote:Silver... thing by Stargazer.... it did NOTHING! :i6:
It was supposed to make blonde hair white/silverish. Nothing happened... :i6:

Really weird cause I totally go for Stargazer shocking pink and magenta!!!! :P :P :P
The same can be said for crazy colour and directions silver. Nothing!

Vex88

Post by Vex88 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:00 am

Miss Liberty wrote:
CandyBubbles wrote:Special Effects Dye - Deep Purple

I must say I have to agree. I have used MANY shades of SFX but this is by far the messiest. Many of the colors bleed a little at first, but this one goes on for weeks and weeks. I dyed my hair the day before Halloween and it is STILL turning things purple.

Its a BEAUTIFUL shade. I get many compliments, but I just don't know if it is worth the mess. I have gotten every other colors out of the shower, but this one is here to stay!
The same thing happened to me with deep purple.. though it also happened with Directions Plum :/ Stained everything... :(
I'd used the SFX iguana green and a blue one with no problem
Kirsty x
There's no place like 127.0.0.1.
---------------------------------------
Facebook
Etsy!
DysfunctionDesigns on Facebook
Artfire!

Miss_Panda

Post by Miss_Panda » Sat May 14, 2011 7:17 pm

Umberto Giannini Glam Hair Grunge Glamour Tousled Salt Spray

Rubbish, applied today and it did nothing to my hair at all, looks the same as it usually does :/ Wheres my waves! what a waste of £5.
If anyone has tried the Lee Staford brand salt spray let me know if its any good via pm.
Miss Panda - Paint The World In Neon Colours

The Black and White Army = Panda "Salute me Solider"

[Phexxie]

Post by [Phexxie] » Wed May 25, 2011 9:41 pm

Crazy Colour Capri Blue/Hot Purple

i ended up being forced to use CC when i was in desperate need for blue dye and this was all i could find at the time, i mixed the two colours to create a nice, deep yet vivid blue
the colour is stunning, however using this dye is not

first off, the dye has a bizarre consistency
it is hard to pick up on your tinting brush, hard to spread evenly on the hair and much harder to mix than any other dye i have used
my mum describes it as though it has a 'coating' of some sort that stops it from being easily workable

secondly, it makes my hair feel constantly dirty
as soon as it gets wet, it refuses to dry throughly and ends up having a feeling similar to when conditioner has not been properly washed out
my hair seems to cling together, and goes 'stiff' and 'crispy' feeling, like something sticky has been spilled on it
it also looks pretty rank, like ive not washed my hair in a good while :(

thirdly, while it is wet my hair feels sticky
at first, this nearly gave me a heart attack when i instantly thought i had done some kind of awful damage to my hair and it was now melting
after i got over that, i realised it was the dye itself with the sticky feeling and it was leaving an odd residue all over my hands
now, im used to being stained with dye, but this isnt staining
its like the dye its literally peeling or rubbing off my hair onto my hands

all in all, totally not recommended despite the colours being lovely and its staying power seems pretty good
but frankly, i would rather have nice, CLEAN looking hair that doesnt want to glue itself to my fingers and will actually dry rather than desperately holding onto water :|

think ill stick with directions, and no matter how desperate i may be i will never go back to Crazy Colour

i have no idea if the same is true for other colours in the range, but i certainly wont be wasting my money on finding out :(

Loric

Post by Loric » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:02 am

rivetlicker_ wrote:La Riche Directions - Turquoise.

Turned out bright green on my yellow bleached hair (I can't risk damage), even mixed with my usual WAKK and SFX/Fudge mix to make my petrol green.
Really wasn't worth the $18 that I paid for it, considering the small amount in the jar and how it didn't take to my hair.
Isn't that much cheaper to buy online either.
I just used a currency converter on this and it worked out at £12.06 that's stupid money considering my local shop sells them for £6! also I've had apple green from them in for about 8 weeks now and although it is fading its very slow and not noticeable unless i'm under the stupidly strong lights in my bathroom.

Loric

Post by Loric » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:15 am

Anyway the reason i wanted to post on this f=thread was to warn people about TRESemme hair care products.. I used it because it was *salon grade' and i had very long hair that was hard to care for. What they don't tell you is its not suitable for anyone with a sensitive scalp. the smallest irritation when you use it and your whole head itches and come out in sores. I thought it was just me but I've spoken to a lot of hair dressers about it and they all say they seen horrendous cases of sore outbreaks on peoples scalps and the smallest open wound on your head can set it off. The worst one i heard about was one girl who goes to my usual hairdresser had a spot on her hairline. Just a normal up-popped acne zit. She used TRESemme for 2 weeks and her whole scalp was cover in sores from scratching. It's a horrible brand that doesn't bother to warn people that once its in the blood stream you feel like the skin on your head is peeling off.

Return to “Make-up & Skin Stuff”