Make-up *Positive Reviews*

ZanneB

Re: Make-up *Positive Reviews*

Post by ZanneB » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:48 pm

everyday minerals!!!
i used to be a die-hard MAC foundation fan, using StudioFix Fluid for going out and Studio Tech for everyday use..on the old board there was a lot of good reviews on EM and my friend started talking about MAC's mineral foundations so i bought one of those and at the same time ordered samples from EM. While i waited for the samples i tried the MAC stuff and didn't like that too well.
But when i finally got my stuff from EM it was so awesome that i honestly haven't had any reason to use the much heavier StudioFix since. The EM foundations have great coverage, comes in 4 different formulas (matte, semi-matte, intense and original glo) i use the matte one. When i need extra coverage i use their mineral concealer, but the foundation really covers most of what i need to hide (ocasional spots, dark circles under the eyes, etc..).
They have good primer-powders and finishing powders, exellent blushes, very resonable prices, wide selection of colours and good customer service..only downside is that they are in the US so i have to pay import-taxes to Denmark....bummer! But the prices are so low on products that they aren't even as expensive as MAC anyway..

Long speech.. :)

ZanneB

Post by ZanneB » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:03 pm

MAC Zoom Lash Mascara
most awesome volume mascara..best mascara i've ever tried actually...only downside is that black gunk that gets into your eyes as you remove it.. :)

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:24 pm

MAC select foundation and studio finish concealer

i finally invested in a decent foundation and concealer and i'm SO chuffed. They go on brilliantly - not too heavy but with good coverage - and stay on all day. my skin looks flawless and glowing!
scarlet's taking over the asylum aka ladypanel

* Queen of Tangents*

Rhaeniel

Post by Rhaeniel » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:16 pm

ZanneB wrote:MAC Zoom Lash Mascara
most awesome volume mascara..best mascara i've ever tried actually...only downside is that black gunk that gets into your eyes as you remove it.. :)
Doesn't that happen with every mascara? :)

There's a lot of MAC love going on here - Scarlet, how much is their foundation and concealer? And is the concealer thick stuff that covers really well, or is it thin and watery?
http://hairextensionsforum.com/viewtopi ... 92&t=14004 <Midlands Summer Meet 2011, photos now up.

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:22 pm

Rhaeniel wrote:

There's a lot of MAC love going on here - Scarlet, how much is their foundation and concealer? And is the concealer thick stuff that covers really well, or is it thin and watery?
the foundation was £18.50, concealer was £10. the concealer is the one in a little pot - it's a cake of sorts if you get what i mean. you can apply it with a brush or a clean finger - it's thick with great coverage.

* Queen of Tangents*

Rhaeniel

Post by Rhaeniel » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:37 pm

ScarletLady wrote:
Rhaeniel wrote:

the foundation was £18.50, concealer was £10. the concealer is the one in a little pot - it's a cake of sorts if you get what i mean. you can apply it with a brush or a clean finger - it's thick with great coverage.

Ooh, that sounds good, and good prices! I'm used to paying £22.50 for Estee Lauder concealer (which I think they've stopped doing in that type now) and £27.50 for Prescriptives foundation! Hopefully they'll have a shade light enough and pink enough for my skin.. is the concealer only in a few shades or can you choose from the same range as the foundations? I find that a lot of places only do 3 different shades of concealer and they're always too dark or too yellow for me.
http://hairextensionsforum.com/viewtopi ... 92&t=14004 <Midlands Summer Meet 2011, photos now up.

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:51 pm

http://www.maccosmetics.co.uk/templates ... =PROD66094

they have a lot of shades - warm and cool i have pale skin and even i didn't need the palest shade so they should have one thats suitable :D

* Queen of Tangents*

Rhaeniel

Post by Rhaeniel » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:00 pm

ScarletLady wrote:http://www.maccosmetics.co.uk/templates ... =PROD66094

they have a lot of shades - warm and cool i have pale skin and even i didn't need the palest shade so they should have one thats suitable :D
Oh, that's brilliant! thanks for that :)
I can't wait to get into town and go to my local MAC counter now ^_^

ZanneB

Post by ZanneB » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:28 pm

Rhaeniel wrote:

..actually i never really has that much gunk before, but i never used a volume-inducing one before, i used to only use regular...but it doesn't hurt or itch or anything to thats always nice.. :)
oh and yes, MAC love..i will never buy any other eyeshadow again..well..not untill i find something that works nicer that theirs anyway..

:)

Rhaeniel

Post by Rhaeniel » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:05 am

I only have two MAC eyeshadows as they're a bit expensive for me - I tend to buy BarryM Dazzle Dust instead, as they have tons of bright colours and they're only about £4 instead of £10!

I find that most of the mascaras I've had do that gunky eye thing.. that or I just wear far too much eyeliner! :lol:
I usually get given mascara by my mother-in-law as she often gets them free with other stuff she buys (usually Boots No7) and cos they're black they're too dark for her (she wears brown mascara cos she's ginger with fair skin, so black looks a bit harsh) so I haven't actually bought a mascara in over three years now!

Rhaeniel

Post by Rhaeniel » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:14 am

I meant to put in good reviews for these a few weeks ago but kept forgetting.. so here they are - MORE MAC LOVE! :lol:

MAC lip liner

I bought MAC's "Lush'n'lilac" mechanical lip liner a while ago as it was the only purple-ish shade I could find.. and I loved it so much (despite the £9 price tag!) that I just bought another one since the first one ran out.. it's lovely to have a lip liner you don't have to sharpen, although mechanical ones are generally more expensive.. anyway, it goes on lovely and blends really well.

MAC lipstick

I also bought a pale-ish pink lipstick for £11, which I would never normally spend on lipstick.. but it really is good stuff! It smells faintly of vanilla and it feels lovely and soft when you wear it. It also seems to stay on pretty well for an evening, although I've yet to test it for a full day's wear.

It's also the only lipstick I could find in almost the right colour - I have an old Revlon lipstick called 'Kiwizing' that I absolutely adore, but they've stopped making it!! It's a gorgeous dusky pink with a minty-green sheen to it. It sounds weird, but it's the most beautiful coloured lipstick I've ever seen.. and I can't buy it any more! It's hard enough finding soft, dusky pinks that aren't really pale and bubblegum-like - I don't want to look like a schoolgirl!! So yeah, MAC had the closest shade to my old lipstick, although without that lovely mint-green sheen. I don't think I'll ever find anything like that again :cry:

GirlFromTheAudience

Post by GirlFromTheAudience » Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:23 pm

Covergirl Trueblend Whipped Foundation

I'm almost embarrassed as I write this. I can't believe I'm giving props to a Covergirl product. But i tried this stuff a couple of weeks ago and can't believe how much I like it. It comes in a little jar and I apply it with a high-end foundation sponge. It goes on so smooth, spreads so evenly. The coverage is medium, I'd say, and I can't believe how natural it looks. Decent coverage without looking caked on. I like it so much that I stopped using my MAC studiotech in favour. Lasts all day, quick touch-up before I head out at night and I'm good to go. Blush goes on really smooth overtop. Heck, I even stopped using a primer it goes on so smooth. Not to mention the compliments on my skin. And no breakouts or changes in my skin's behavior.

Props to this one. I'm sold. Especially for $10 a bottle.
-- Girl From The Audience --

[Tank]

Post by [Tank] » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:12 am

Rhaeniel wrote:It's also the only lipstick I could find in almost the right colour - I have an old Revlon lipstick called 'Kiwizing' that I absolutely adore, but they've stopped making it!! It's a gorgeous dusky pink with a minty-green sheen to it. It sounds weird, but it's the most beautiful coloured lipstick I've ever seen.. and I can't buy it any more! It's hard enough finding soft, dusky pinks that aren't really pale and bubblegum-like - I don't want to look like a schoolgirl!! So yeah, MAC had the closest shade to my old lipstick, although without that lovely mint-green sheen. I don't think I'll ever find anything like that again :cry:
Lol, really OT but I got a lot of make up off of eBay and the Kiwizing lipstick was my favourite item in it, I was gutted when it ran out and I discovered they didnt make it anymore :P
To begin with, a dog is not mad. you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I am mad.

Rhaeniel

Post by Rhaeniel » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:41 am

[Tank] wrote:
Rhaeniel wrote:It's also the only lipstick I could find in almost the right colour - I have an old Revlon lipstick called 'Kiwizing' that I absolutely adore, but they've stopped making it!! It's a gorgeous dusky pink with a minty-green sheen to it. It sounds weird, but it's the most beautiful coloured lipstick I've ever seen.. and I can't buy it any more! It's hard enough finding soft, dusky pinks that aren't really pale and bubblegum-like - I don't want to look like a schoolgirl!! So yeah, MAC had the closest shade to my old lipstick, although without that lovely mint-green sheen. I don't think I'll ever find anything like that again :cry:
Lol, really OT but I got a lot of make up off of eBay and the Kiwizing lipstick was my favourite item in it, I was gutted when it ran out and I discovered they didnt make it anymore :P
It's so unfair :cry:

tazzyface

Post by tazzyface » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:40 pm

Rhaeniel wrote:
[Tank] wrote:
It's so unfair :cry:
Sorry for the OTness but is this it? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... =WDVW&rd=1

I had a similar shade and I loved it! Come to think of it, that was probably it... Revlon lipsticks are fantastic :)
More human than human

Rhaeniel

Post by Rhaeniel » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:33 pm

Yes, that's it!! I don't understand why they stopped doing it :( there's nothing else out there like it.

[Tank]

Post by [Tank] » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:35 pm

Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse.

Very pleased with this, lasts for about 6ish hours on moisturised skin with no primer without needing a touch up, blends flawlessly, and you dont need much at all.

It doesnt look cakey, even with a setting powder on top, helps keep my blush on and is generally a very good purchase, and at £5.95 a pot it's a damn good price too :D.

I also find it very hard to find a foundation that matches my skin tone well, and their Cameo is perfect on me, definitely recommended from moi.
To begin with, a dog is not mad. you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I am mad.

VixenSingsBlack

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:37 am

Pure Luxe Loose Eye Shadows

Absolutely brilliant! I wear these nearly everyday. Lovely large range of colors. Applies smooth with brush or fingertips. Blends nicely. I must also say that the color Ouch! is totally awesome--greatest magenta shadow I've ever had. It's SO versatile. Apply dry for a lighter, sheer look. Apply wet for a vibrant look. Apply with Pure Luxe Primer for super popping color!!! Just so you know, like any loose or mineral eye shadow, it does take a bit of know how and practice to put it on right.

Pure Luxe Eye Shadow Primer

Also brilliant. Makes the shadows really stick and also really brings out the truest, brightest color of the shadows. Also fantastic to make glitter stay put. I have the 1.5ml sample bottle and I'm still using it about 50 uses later. Great stuff, I definitely recommend it.

I <3 Pure Luxe! http://pureluxecosmetics.com/home.php

Mal

Post by Mal » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:14 am

Coastal Scents Mineral Makeup Foundation

Okay, this is my holy grail for foundation!!! I have super oily skin which drives me nuts and ruins all foundations I put on, except this one! I bought it online, you can only get it from coastalscents.com with the buffer brush, which is also super soft. It stay on all day with no primer, and my skin glows and I look airbrushed! People say I have beautiful skin but underneath its horrendous. Hope that helps :mrgreen:

Mal

Post by Mal » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:16 am

Chapstick

I use chapsticks as my primer for my eyeshadow, I saw it on a tip for a website and gave it a go. My eyeshadow stays put nearly all day, and it's so cheap! Try it :D

malevolentglitter

Post by malevolentglitter » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:33 pm

L'oreal stick foundation - amazing coverage, buildable, doesn't irritate skin, great for oily/combination skin

Sakura

Post by Sakura » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:14 pm

Yves Saint Laurent Touche Eclat
My mum got me these for christmas and it is really excellent. I Can never be arsed to get up early to put any make up on before work, but this takes a minute or two to get rid of dark circles under eyes etc.
I even saw a lady using one on the bus the other day lol.

Freaky_Ferret

Post by Freaky_Ferret » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:31 pm

Coastal Scents 88 pallette in both matte and ultra shimmer
Image Image

I HIGHLY recommend these. They are inexpensive and the colors are AWESOME! They stay on well both with and without a primer...but when you use a primer...it does NOT come off! :lol:
Perverted Panda's Corsets and Cosplay
My Business, check it out
Sincerely,
~Jessie

trioxin

Post by trioxin » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:42 pm

[Tank] wrote:Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse.

Very pleased with this, lasts for about 6ish hours on moisturised skin with no primer without needing a touch up, blends flawlessly, and you dont need much at all.

It doesnt look cakey, even with a setting powder on top, helps keep my blush on and is generally a very good purchase, and at £5.95 a pot it's a damn good price too :D.

I also find it very hard to find a foundation that matches my skin tone well, and their Cameo is perfect on me, definitely recommended from moi.
I used this!
Only I didnt have the right shade as I turned orange :/
I bought porcelain (005) thinking it was a lighter shade and ivory seemed to look slightly darker.

Spooky_Noodles

Post by Spooky_Noodles » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:02 am

MAC Fluidline eyeliner

Definitely one of my favourite eyeliners I've ever used. It's a cream that's applied with a fine brush, which can take a bit of getting used to but once you've mastered it then it's fantastic. Very solid black, and it manages to stay liquid long enough to correct mistakes but still dry quickly enough to prevent it smearing (a problem I've encountered with liquid eyeliner).

Urban Decay 24/7 eyeliner

My other favourite eyeliner! The colour is bright and solid, and there's a broad range of shades available. The only problems I've encountered are that they can go blunt fairly easily because it's a soft pencil, and they can only be sharpened effectively with the UD brand pencil sharpener. However, for the colour and durability I still think they're worth it :D
It's not stoopid, it's ADVANCED!!

Return to “Make-up & Skin Stuff”