wedding recommendations

ScarletLady

wedding recommendations

Post by ScarletLady » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:27 am

hey all...
i'm looking into having my makeup done professionally for my big day and was wondering if any of you have experiences in this or recommedations...or if any of you actually do it :D

i'm based in london and am getting married here so would need to be local or willing to travel.

thanks girls :D
scarlet's taking over the asylum aka ladypanel

* Queen of Tangents*

Criss

Re: wedding recommendations

Post by Criss » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:51 pm

I just got married about a month ago, so I can offer some advice on this.

We hired a awesome photographer and paid the $1100.00 bill. I was thinking about trying to save money and do my makeup myself. But I have NO makeup skills so I wouldn't look very good, especially with the added stress my completion was not perfect. In fact it never is.

Two days before the wedding I freaked out and hired a local makeup artist at the going rate of $200.00.

Weddings bring out the poperotzy in family and friends. I had about 400 pictures taken during the ceremony alone. It was CRAZY! (I also hate having my picture taken) But because of the makeup job and how great I looked I was able to just deal with it. After the wedding everyone had been giving me CD's of the pictures they took and wow we look great and I am SOOO glad I forked out the cash for the makeup. I justified it by adding it to the cost of the photographer, because that's what the makeup was for, good pictures.

Now if I had a friend that was good with makeup, or I would have done it myself or got them to do it. But I can recommend doing a trial, and during that trial make sure you take pictures with flash without flash, indoors and outdoors because that is the true test. Day to day makeup is different then makeup for picture.

--

On a side note, a good friend gave me some words of wisdom. The day of your wedding remember to stop, breath look around and enjoy it. Its those moments you will remember the best. (And its true!) And don't sweat the small stuff, if the cake is the wrong color or whatever chances are you are the only one who will notice! (This is also true, my cake lady screwed over my design and did not deliver anything close to what I ordered and paid extra for! but everyone still loved it! lol)

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:56 pm

yeah the main bulk of the money is going on my dress the makeup and the photographer :D

plus i'm thinking of leaving disposable cameras around getting the pics developed as well so we have informal snapshots...i've heard of that done a few times and i think it's a really good idea...
it's going to be a relatively small event anyway - we don't have a lot of money really so we'll have to invest it wisely...

we're thinking of getting everyone to donate to the honeymoon instead of give us presents cos we already live together and have most things we need

* Queen of Tangents*

Lorny

Post by Lorny » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:42 pm

I know a woman that is very very good at make up, and travels all over to do work. She doesn't have set prices, it depends on what you are willing to pay as to what you get e.g. if you want her to use dior, its a lottt, if you want cheaper products, its cheaper. You also get a little bag to touch up the make up later on at night. ^_^
I am neither blue nor red. I am a proud recruit of the Indecisive Army!

iamdolleyes

Post by iamdolleyes » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:58 pm

this might sound goofy, but have you thought of looking through the makeup artists on modelmayhem?

not sure if you can search as a non member (i think so - or maybe you are a member! i don't know :D ) but you could probably have a good idea of their skills and their prices without even contacting them..plus if you want something a little more on the alt side rather than the usual you might have some luck there
i like my coffee black
just like my metal

MissAnthropik

Post by MissAnthropik » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:28 am

http://www.modelmayhem.com/192930

Her alt make up is amazing. I know she does wedding stuff too, I don't know what that's like, but I'm sure it would be good, and she would show you photos if she asked. I have no idea what her prices are.

She was (I'm not sure if she still is) a member of this community - assisted suicide. She doesn't do hair really anymore, she moved into modelling, and from there into make-up artistry. Her photos (of her MUA shoots) are always amazing.
telling it like it is!

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:00 am

cool - i didn't think of model mayhem (i'm not a member)
will have to wait til i have the net at home as i can't access it at work (bloody filters)

thanks for the suggestions :D

* Queen of Tangents*

Neon Black

Post by Neon Black » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:55 am

MissAnthropik wrote:http://www.modelmayhem.com/192930

Her alt make up is amazing. I know she does wedding stuff too, I don't know what that's like, but I'm sure it would be good, and she would show you photos if she asked. I have no idea what her prices are.

She was (I'm not sure if she still is) a member of this community - assisted suicide. She doesn't do hair really anymore, she moved into modelling, and from there into make-up artistry. Her photos (of her MUA shoots) are always amazing.
I would second that, her work is very good. She is based in Essex but I know travels to London a lot. It would be worth contacting her, she is lovely :)

plum poison

Post by plum poison » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:06 pm

you can always go into debenhams and get one of the girls from the makeup counters to do it and they do it for free!

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:52 pm

i've decided i'm doing it myslef now anyway - but i'm going to have a trial at a makeup counter to get the products i want

* Queen of Tangents*

MissAnthropik

Post by MissAnthropik » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:19 pm

yeah, i did my own, but got mac to do my make up before hand and bought several of the products they used on me
telling it like it is!

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:35 pm

MissAnthropik wrote:yeah, i did my own, but got mac to do my make up before hand and bought several of the products they used on me
that's exactly what I'm going to do :D
did it look good in the photos? (not questioning your ability at all :lol: just curious)

* Queen of Tangents*

MissAnthropik

Post by MissAnthropik » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:30 pm

yeah i think so! I felt that no-one else would be able to do my make-up the way I like it. I used a more muted toned eyeshadow than I would normally go for, because people told me that brides look better "natural" :lol: But I still wore esentially the same make up I normally wear!!!

I tried it out before the day and got my mum to take some photos to make sure it looked OK in photos. She even took a couple of me with it done when we were at the venue one day before the wedding sorting some stuff out so we had even tried it with their lighting!

It was fine though, looked nice in the pics and I felt happy with it :)
telling it like it is!

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:59 pm

Brilliant - thanks!
that makes me feel even better about doing it myself now. I'm quite particular about how Ilike it done as well :)

* Queen of Tangents*

cyberwench

Post by cyberwench » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:09 pm

That's what I'm planning on doing, hitting the MAC counter to get some tips then doing it myself on the day. I'm confident with doing my eye-makeup, I don't think I'd trust anyone else to do that for me and get it how I like, but I could definitely do with some professional advice and quality products for my foundation.

MissAnthropik

Post by MissAnthropik » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:21 pm

yeah, she showed me how to use the foundation brush to get my foundation even and flawless. I had never had a foundation brush before!
telling it like it is!

fustmuffin

Post by fustmuffin » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:40 pm

oo is there a knack to using a foundation brush? I just kind of slap it on and hope for the best!

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:18 am

get a MAC 187 brush - I am a total convert!!

* Queen of Tangents*

fustmuffin

Post by fustmuffin » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:31 am

I have a 187 too :D I just wondered if there was a special technique involved in getting the foundation looking flawless

Lorny

Post by Lorny » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:36 pm

fustmuffin wrote:I have a 187 too :D I just wondered if there was a special technique involved in getting the foundation looking flawless
Well really, the main thing you should concentrate on is not being too heavy handed with it, as this can create 'brush marks', and also, always brush downwards, as this will make sure no downy hair on the face sticks up and is visible. :)
I am neither blue nor red. I am a proud recruit of the Indecisive Army!

MissAnthropik

Post by MissAnthropik » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:59 pm

oh, she kind of did all directions on me to eliminate brush strokes and get a flatter finish. I have to say I can't make it look as good as she did!
telling it like it is!

fustmuffin

Post by fustmuffin » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:05 pm

oh I see, well I do brush in all directions so I'm guessing I just dont have a very good foundation! :lol:

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:11 am

I dip it in a bit of foundation and then lightly and quickly brush in all directions...It always comes out ok and blends well on my jawline

* Queen of Tangents*

Return to “Make-up & Skin Stuff”