Im ANTI sun-tan and need tan prevention advice!

[Phexxie]

Im ANTI sun-tan and need tan prevention advice!

Post by [Phexxie] » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:41 am

ok, so i might be a little bit early with this, but better early than late!

im a naturally pale lady, and i like it that way
spring is on its way, and after spring comes summer with inevitable sunshine

now, i love all the associated summer practices... bbqs, picnics, beach visits etc. but one thing you wont catch me doing is stripping half naked and basking in the sunlight

as i said, i like pale

i tan easily, and i burn even easier so i always use factor 50 sun lotion as a minimum
but what im looking for is something that can not only protect my skin, but stop it tanning all together, or at least minimise it as much as possible

ive been told to try a total block lotion, but for some reason i can never find it around here, even in the peak of summer, so ordering online is definitely an option but only if its a reliable product

any suggestions to keep the tan at bay, other than staying indoors or covering up head to toe?
preferably something non-greasy, doesnt leave a dodgy white residue and doesnt cost the earth?

thankies! :D

Librarynerd

Re: Im ANTI sun-tan and need tan prevention advice!

Post by Librarynerd » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:01 am

I'm a very pale lady too but I don't tan at all. I turn red like a lobster and then I peel, it's really ugly. I hate stinky, greasy sunscreen too!

But I found something wonderful!!
My roommate works for a plastic surgeon and their office sells skin care products so she brings home sample's. She is African American so I get all the sun block's that have zinc oxide in them because if you use zinc on dark skin it looks like white powder. I'm so pale you can't see it all, in fact in kind of evens out my skin tone.

Anyway, she has brought home some fantastic sunblock's. No scent, no grease, easy application. I have never seen these brands in store's, I think they are sold exclusively from medical office's. They can be very expensive, like $40 for an 8oz tube, but they stretch really far and are totally worth it!
I can burn in 10min in direct sun, I dosed up on the professional sunblock and watched a baseball game in the sun( 2hrs!), no burn at all, no new freckles.

My understanding is that pro products contain many different sun blocking formula's, so they attack the sun on multiple fronts in one product.

I would recommend going to a dermatologist or plastic surgeon and asking what the recommend, ask for samples, when you find one you like it is totally worth it to pay a premium price.

Go team pale!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/jeanween23

XXXX I used to be disgusted. Now I try to be amused. XXXX

LittlePinkFaery

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:39 am

Children's sun block is the only total block you can usually find in shops- even that is expensive in comparisson.

VixenSingsBlack

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:12 pm

An SPF 50 sun block that keeps away both UVA and UVB should do the job. They key is reapplication every 2 hours. Also, remember to put the lotion on 30 minutes before going out into the sun, because it can take it that long to soak in and begin working. After having a precancerous mole cut off my ankle, I am VERY serious about sun care. To me, the key is reapplication. And, just to share, I love this lotion for my face--it's a moisturizer too! And very light: http://www.amazon.com/Cetaphil-Defense- ... B001GIOW3G

Miss Liberty

Post by Miss Liberty » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:12 pm

obviously this doesn't take care of the entire problem, but I have started carrying around a large parasol I made with me on sunny days. It helps protect haircolor and keeps direct sun off me here and there. I know you wouldn't want to hold a parasol the ENTIRE time you are out in the sun, but combined with a good sun block it may help.

This is the one I made:

Return to “Make-up & Skin Stuff”