Dark circles- product suggestions plx!

debra_beretta

Dark circles- product suggestions plx!

Post by debra_beretta » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:17 am

Hello lovely ladies of HEF <3

I have a bit of a conundrum, which I have had since I can remember. I have inherited the dreaded dark circles under my eyes from mother dearest, who never bothers to cover hers up. I however do not want to look 15 years older than I really am, so I need some suggestions about ways to disguise these bad boys. (yes I drink plenty of water and get lots of sleep, tried masks, ice, packs all sorts to no avail)

First off, I have very pale olive toned skin. Secondly, it is average; not dry or greasy. Thirdly I currently use MAC face and body foundation in its palest shade (Perfect match! High five!), Rimmel Perfect Matte powder and if they're particularly dark and menacing, I dab a little MAC Prep & Prime eye primer to lessen the dark.

I'm tired of looking like the grim reaper guys, any suggestions welcome but *products* would be most appreciated. Cheers! <3
I am disillusioned enough to know that no man's opinion on any subject is worth a damn unless backed up with enough genuine information to make him really know what he's talking about. - H.P Lovecraft

Vex88

Re: Dark circles- product suggestions plx!

Post by Vex88 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:33 am

Have you tried Benefits "ooh la lift"?
I got one off ebay and I'm positive it makes a difference
Kirsty x
There's no place like 127.0.0.1.
---------------------------------------
Facebook
Etsy!
DysfunctionDesigns on Facebook
Artfire!

xalternmommyx

Post by xalternmommyx » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:34 am

i get dark circles too sometimes, a trick i was told was to put some Preperation H cream under your eye but dont fully rub it in like put it on a bit thick, leave it on while your doing your hair and such then wipe it off before you do your make up. it works for some and doesnt for others but since its a cheap solution it might be worth a shot.

debra_beretta

Post by debra_beretta » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:38 am

I haven't tried the Benefit, will bear that in mind :-)

As for the Preparation H.. lol... well, this is really an inherited/genetic thing so it's either cover up or surgery. My eye sockets are deep and the skin very thin, so I get these dark, shadows. Pain in the bum!
I am disillusioned enough to know that no man's opinion on any subject is worth a damn unless backed up with enough genuine information to make him really know what he's talking about. - H.P Lovecraft

iamtheparty

Post by iamtheparty » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:47 am

I have permanent dark circles too. I tried Ooh La Lift for 6 months and it didn't do anything for them. I'm convinced that there's nothing that will ever remove them, barring surgery. Ooh La Lift did make the skin very soft there which made it easier to cover up. But any decent eye cream will do that, or E45 in my experience :)

Anyway, I use one of those cheap concealer sticks, the ones that look a bit like a lipstick, and it's the best thing I've found for covering them up. It doesn't disguise them entirely but you'd have to really layer it on, whatever you use, and that's not a look I'm going for!
Birthdays was the worst days, now we sip champagne when we thirstay.....

http://www.facebook.com/forgottennegatives

debra_beretta

Post by debra_beretta » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:15 am

@Iamtheparty: I have been using a Rimmel concealer; "Hide the Blemish" but matching my skin tone is a nightmare. Despite my best efforts at blending, it's still fairly noticeable under my eyes due to how thin the skin is and whatnot. Thanks for the suggestion! <3

Bomber

Post by Bomber » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:37 am

Ooh La Lift does sod all for me either. My circles are caused by thin skin so again like yours there's nothing to really be done. I use Benefit's Boi-ing concealer in 02 (I'm super pale and this is spot on for me) and that, with full coverage foundation and a dusting of pressed powder or Benefit's Powderflage hides them the best out of anything I've come across.

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:58 pm

Ah, I know your dilemma only too well; I inherited deep-set eyes, also from my mother, which look sunken and dark no matter how much sleep I get, water I drink etc. It's not dark bags, but an actual shadow effect due to the shape of the face. You are right, nothing will make them go.

I am going to second bomber's suggestion of boi-ing, which does a cracking job of hiding them. The best thing about it is that it isn't greasy like most concealer and so you can add a bit more later in the day if you need to. I struggle with traditional concealer because it sits, slick on my skin and looks horribly unatural.
What, that? It's a spade.

Gracey xx
Formerly known as Woolhairhabbit

Dystopatica

Post by Dystopatica » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:21 pm

Have you ladies tried a peach or a salmon pink colour corrector? Normal concealer can't cover the blue tint of dark circles but you can counter balance the darkness with a tinted colour corrector and then put a normal shade that matches your skin over the top. Eve Pearl does a few for different skin tones and gets a lot of good reviews from make up sites: http://www.evepearl.com/products/concealers-salmon/

Reviews: http://www.makeupalley.com/product/show ... Concealers
Monochrome Militia
Dystopatica.com

tazzyface

Post by tazzyface » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:43 am

Oh god, Ooh La Lift is terrible. It made mine look worse. Erase Paste and Boi-ing (both by Benefit) are good, but for the money you can do so much better. They also tend to be quite greasy, Erase Paste especially.

I love my Estee Lauder Double Wear concealer. It doesn't cover mine up *completely* but it's the closest thing I've found that does! With Revlon Colourstay or Photoready on top, you can't see them at all, just the puffiness but nothing can be done about that :roll:
More human than human

Bomber

Post by Bomber » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:48 pm

I find the puffiness the easiest part to deal with, if you keep a couple of teaspoons in the fridge then you can rest them on the bags and it helps decrease puffy eyes. Or cold chamomile or green tea bags do the job just as well.

VixenSingsBlack

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:50 pm

I've had dark rings since I was 12. Sometimes puffy, sometimes not. You won't catch me out the house without at least concealer on. I went through dozens of varieties of sticky, greasy, thick concealers over the years and found one that I loved. Then L'Oreal dumped it >X-0 Skip forward another few years, and I am currently using four things:

1: Clinique All About Eyes Rich--I use it overnight, the difference is not dramatic but enough for me to notice. When I use it regularly for a week or so my dark circles look a bit more even, maybe less "veiny" I think you could say. (One .5 oz jar lasts me about 6 months) http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.j ... ZS5jb20%3d

2: Bare Minerals Well-Rested for Eyes--This is a very light powder with just a touch of a yellowish hue. I use it with the BE Maximum Coverage Concealer Brush. It's a godsend! Best concealer I've used, it just takes a bit of a learning curve of how to use the brush. (One jar lasts me about a year with daily use) http://www.bareescentuals.com/Concealer ... d1=1&view=

3: Bare Minerals Natural Light Face Lifiting Duo--This product has a pink and white side, but I just mix them together. It's like reflective pearly, and helps light shine better on the dark circles. When I have REALLY bad dark circle days I put a very light coating of this on top of my Well-Rested. (One jar lasts a long time for me since I only use it every once in a while) http://www.bareescentuals.com/Concealer ... d1=1&view=

4: Yves Saint Laurent Touch Eclat--Yes, as expensive as the Queen's tone nail clippings, but SO worth it. I don't own this, but my mother does. I borrow it from her on occasion. It's a very light cream that is just... amazing... It reflects light it covers the dark circles. Just WOW! http://www.yslbeautyus.com/special-offe ... 2godSQwOKQ

debra_beretta

Post by debra_beretta » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:31 pm

Thank you lovely ladies for your suggestions <3 <3

I have used Touche Eclat already actually and I've found that it just doesn't stay put on my skin. It's a lovely product though and if it wasn't the for cost vs wear I would probably invest again but it just doesn't stay!

All the other suggestions I will look into. I have good skin on the whole just these bloody eyebags keep me looking 10 years older than I am. Didn't mind so much, 10 years ago but I don't need help getting into bars these days hehe.

VixenSingsBlack

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:49 pm

debra_beretta wrote:Thank you lovely ladies for your suggestions <3 <3

I have used Touche Eclat already actually and I've found that it just doesn't stay put on my skin. It's a lovely product though and if it wasn't the for cost vs wear I would probably invest again but it just doesn't stay!

All the other suggestions I will look into. I have good skin on the whole just these bloody eyebags keep me looking 10 years older than I am. Didn't mind so much, 10 years ago but I don't need help getting into bars these days hehe.
If you have trouble with creams/liquids go for a powder. It's an altogether different experience and quite satisfying!

debra_beretta

Post by debra_beretta » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:27 pm

Right, update!

I went to the MAC counter in Leicester today for some skin advice; the lady there was fantastic and suggested a Studio FX compact in it's lightest shade for my skin; it has done a fantastic job of disguising my dark shadows and making me look more healthy-pale than sickly-pale (as I usually do). She also praised the fact that I didn't try to change my skin tone with fake tan, which made me want to high-five her.

Thanks for all your suggestions though, ladies! You've all been very helpful <3

faticeira

Post by faticeira » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:53 pm

Return to “Make-up & Skin Stuff”