Foundation newbie - utterly confused, please help!

Fricklesnarp

Foundation newbie - utterly confused, please help!

Post by Fricklesnarp » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:03 pm

Hi all

So, I've been experimenting with foundation for the first time but I'm having some problems. I think that I have combination skin, because I tend to get oily around my nose and forehead, but nowhere else, so I went to the MAC store and the girl matched me with NW15 Select Foundation as she told me this was mattifying. My problem is that when I apply it (with a brush), it seems to sink into my pores and make it look as if I have dry skin around my nose (which I definitely don't). I tried exfoliating and using a primer, but it still did the same thing.

So I went back to the store and the girl gave me a sample of the liquid Mineralize foundation in NC15, and she suggested that the winter might be drying out my skin so this one would be more moisturising. I tried it, and although it might be a marginal improvement, I can still see make-up in the pores when I look closely - plus this foundation makes my skin shiny rather than matte, which I don't like.

So my question is, how much should you be able to see the make-up when you look closely at your face - is it supposed to be invisible? I don't like being able to see it - I have good skin and don't need a lot of coverage, it's more about evening out my skin-tone, so I'm not really putting much on at all, yet it still looks cakey to me. I also tried mixing the foundation with some moisturiser in case this helped, but it just made my skin feel greasy.

Would really like some advice as I honestly have no idea what I'm doing lol :)

Thanks!

ScarletLady

Re: Foundation newbie - utterly confused, please help!

Post by ScarletLady » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:08 pm

If you have generally good skin but just want to even out skin tone I'd suggest trying out a tinted moisturizer.

Foundations like MAC can be brilliant but they can be cakey as well depending on your skin type. I found select a little like you said to be honest, it tended to make my skin look dry, however exfoliation and a change in moisturizer helped me. I now use Illamasqua.

What do you use to apply it? You really need a decent brush to be honest as that can help if you only need to apply a little.

Try a tinted moisturizer though as it may work really well for you, I have no clue what MAC's are like but No7 do good ones :)
scarlet's taking over the asylum aka ladypanel

* Queen of Tangents*

Fricklesnarp

Post by Fricklesnarp » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:19 pm

I'm using a Ruby and Millie brush at the moment - the MAC one was too expensive. I could try a tinted moisturiser I suppose, but I would also need a decent concealer I think as I do have some thread veins on my nose which I find really difficult to hide - not sure what type of concealer I should be using for that though, any advice is appreciated!

I wish I could just find a foundation that worked for me - never realised make-up was so hard :?

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:23 pm

Foundation is the hardest thing to get right I think. I use MAC's studio finish (or something) concealer and it's great. I can even just put on the concealer and not bother with foundation and it blends well enough.

I'm not really sure what else to suggest, I'm sure some of the other girls will have more advice.

A good skin care routine is pretty important though as you need the best canvas possible in order for foundation to look it's best.
scarlet's taking over the asylum aka ladypanel

* Queen of Tangents*

Monique_marion_may

Post by Monique_marion_may » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:26 pm

I know people say you should always apply with a brush but try applying it with your fingers (clean obv) as whenever iuse a brish my face looks caked in it. But somuch better withh myfingers haha

somekindafreak

Post by somekindafreak » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:56 pm

A brush gives a more polished finish which is good sometimes, and my fingers make it look more natural I find :)
Indecisive army FTW

"So raise your glass if you are wrong in all the right ways..."

Fricklesnarp

Post by Fricklesnarp » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:44 pm

Quick update: have tried experimenting with my cheap Boots 17 Skin Perfecting Shine Free foundation and have found that I don't have the flakey skin problem with this. Only problem with this foundation is that it isn't very long lasting - but I don't understand why it sits much better on my skin than the much more expensive MAC foundation. Maybe the MAC is too heavy for me? :?

Bomber

Post by Bomber » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:11 pm

Quite possibly! MAC is designed for photographic use so it is too heavy for most people to use on a daily basis.

With the not-lasting thing, I usually just use pressed powder with a kabuki brush, it helps it to stick a bit more

Kajablomst.

Post by Kajablomst. » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:40 am

I don't like Mac foundations... The colors are way to dark, and like you said about the pores and flaky skin, I get that too with Mac.. I use Mineral foundation, this works best for me.

Lorny

Post by Lorny » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:58 am

The lightest shade of most brands are always too dark for me. :( I've had better luck with Estee Lauder though cuz the foundation isn't as thick but gives really good coverage. Then I put a ton of ivory powder on top.

Kajablomst, what foundation do you use?

Kajablomst.

Post by Kajablomst. » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:05 am

Tikei. It's a swedish brand that makes really good mineral makup in extremely light shades. And very dark too... But the site is in swedish.

Bomber

Post by Bomber » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:59 am

Lorny, give Illamasqua a try, their shades range from pure white to pure black. Normally the palest tone isn't light enough for me but I'm using their third palest shade!

Lorny

Post by Lorny » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:49 pm

That's a lot of money for something I can't see in person! I don't trust swatches I can't use on myself. I imagine I'm 115 but I have very yellow skin ! It's a bit of a pain trying to find anything that matches my neck and chest. My current one, 1N1 by Estee Lauder gives me 'colour', which only looks natural if I have a scarf. :( I don't want 'colour' though, I like being pale but can't find anything decent! I've only just bought this foundation too, so it's even more irritating that my search will continue. :-(

Actually, can you get a 'natural light' photo of the colour you have so I can compare it to my current one?

Bomber

Post by Bomber » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:32 pm

Sure thing, the light's gone here now so I'll get one tomorrow. It's neutral toned so it'll match either yellow or pink toned skin.

Unfortunately there only seems to be a few actual shops, if you get the chance to get to one I recommend them, the staff seem to be completely different to most high-end counters. At least, the staff at the one in Birmingham weren't all caked in orange foundation like they seem to usually be at MAC.

Lorny

Post by Lorny » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:40 pm

I don't stand a chance of visiting any counters. Man, I was feeling OK til I visited this thread (which I MAY have hijacked!), now I'm feeling all annoyed cuz it's not like I can return the foundation I've just bought!

That would be great if you could do that, but I imagine I'll get annoyed that I can't try it on right this second. :lol:

Miss_Panda

Post by Miss_Panda » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:16 am

ScarletLady wrote:Foundation is the hardest thing to get right I think. I use MAC's studio finish (or something) concealer and it's great. I can even just put on the concealer and not bother with foundation and it blends well enough.

I'm not really sure what else to suggest, I'm sure some of the other girls will have more advice.

A good skin care routine is pretty important though as you need the best canvas possible in order for foundation to look it's best.
i use that concealer too, thats all i need no need for foundation!

Return to “Make-up & Skin Stuff”