Would you go without makeup for even a day?

suky

Would you go without makeup for even a day?

Post by suky » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:21 am

I used to think I wouldn't do it, but now I do it a lot. I used to get up every morning, have a cup of coffee, shower and do my hair and makeup. I was always dressed, never slouched around in sweats unless I was sick.

When I first was left with nothing, no job, the first thing to go was the makeup. When I looked at what was essential, it just wasn't. I pared down to a good face powder, blush, lipstick and mascara. Now I regularly go out sans makeup and don't feel self-conscious at all. A lot of people who see me tell me I look healthy...well duh! You can actually see my skin!

I would have never thought I could live without being made up and dressed to the nines, but I'm so much happier now not being obsessed with my looks.

Skookums

Re: Would you go without makeup for even a day?

Post by Skookums » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:32 am

I was the same way, I would at least have eyeliner and mascara on everyday. now I almost never wear it
Boo!

Ice_Pick_Abortions

Post by Ice_Pick_Abortions » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:29 pm

I've never felt the need to wear make up every day, mainly because I'd have to do the lot and I'm lazy. Maybe when I get a bit older I'll feel more of a need to but right now I just can't be arsed.
"I have had many troubles, most of which never happened." - Mark Twain
"Let us not love with words or tongue, but with actions and in truth."

In the ranks of the Indecisive Army..

Bomber

Post by Bomber » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:31 pm

while I usually do wear a full face every day for work (it only takes me 10 minutes to do the full works), it's not something I NEED to do and will quite happily go out with a completely bare face

Lorny

Post by Lorny » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:33 pm

I'm by no means obsessed with my looks, but there's no way I'd go out without make up. I don't have good skin so I have to. If I'm popping to the shop when I'm with Matthew then I don't care, but I wouldn't go out without it if I was out for a long time. People comment on how nice my skin is all the time, but they don't realise I'm just wearing foundation very well.

ShadowThrone

Post by ShadowThrone » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:37 pm

The very least I have done is fill in my brows and put a coat of mascara and concealer on. I don't like going totally bare :oops:

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:21 pm

regularly!

When I was working I always "put my face on" I remember moving house & not having unpacked my make-up a manager asked me if I was OK cos I looked really pale :lol: I had to explain I'd not unpacked my make-up.

However, now I just find putting make-up on tedious if I'm just going over to the shop or whatever. I still make an effort if I'm going to meet friends or whatever. My husband & elder son really like seeing me "done up" - so much so my husband said I should wear it more often.

I've gotta admit, I love my eyeliner & mascara
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:28 pm

When I worked I did my make-up every morning...I generally do it if I'm going out but not if I'm staying indoors... which since I've been pregnant has been more often than not. My skin doesn't seem to like having make-up on it at the moment so I tend to leave it
scarlet's taking over the asylum aka ladypanel

* Queen of Tangents*

IKickShins

Post by IKickShins » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:43 pm

I only wear make-up a couple times a month or so, and when I do it's usually just a bit of mascara. My skin's awful so it's best left untouched :P
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

pixychick

Post by pixychick » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:02 pm

I'm the same but much less. I've probably worn makeup about 5-10 times this year. If I do wear makeup its just eyeliner, shawdow(if I remember to rub it on) and lip gloss (if I can find it). Most of the time its just one or the other and every so often all three together. I've never worn foundation or anything like that.
I need to start wearing make up but its too much of a hassle plus I dont go anywhere often enough to really care. LOL :i2:

Sophrodisiac

Post by Sophrodisiac » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:14 pm

I often can't be bothered to wear any at all... i do love painting my face in neon colours but only really put alot of effort if i am going out or trying to impress per say =P if i am staying in or just going to run errands i generally won't bother.

But when i do put the effort in i go MAD xD
I like bubbles.. :)
Dread it and Rave
SOPHI BUBBLE =)

ShadowThrone

Post by ShadowThrone » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:40 pm

Oh, if I am staying indoors I don't wear any :P should have said that!

MissAnthropik

Post by MissAnthropik » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:51 pm

If I know I am going out I tend to put make up on, if I think I will be staying in all day, even if people are coming round I tend not to. If I need to pop to the shops or something then I wouldn't put it on just for that.

I too have awful skin, and have a good foundation which leads most people to look at me quizzickly when I say I have bad skin. I know it looks fine with foundation on, but really it is bad without it and it makes me feel less confident. I know when I (rarely) have clear skin I feel a million times better.

I think this question would be very different for me if I had clear skin.
telling it like it is!

Librarynerd

Post by Librarynerd » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:51 pm

I only wear makeup when I'm getting done up to go out, so only a couple times a month. Don't get me wrong I love to do make up but I am way to lazy to put it on every day. Also the majority of staff and students where I work wear no make up so if I wear any I get a lot of "What are you dressed up for?" and that's annoying.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/jeanween23

XXXX I used to be disgusted. Now I try to be amused. XXXX

Kajablomst.

Post by Kajablomst. » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:17 am

It depends. I usally don't wear makeup when I'm working, but sometimes I feel like it.
I have no problem with the way I look without makeup so it's not really a big deal for me. But I love makeup, love putting it on and trying new things, think it's alot of fun :)

Flick

Post by Flick » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:20 am

Too lazy to wear makeup every day. Also Im a student. People turn up to Tafe in their PJ's or trackie daks, or equally as low key. I usually make the effort to get dressed, but if I wore make up as well, it would look stranger than if I showed up in my PJ's. I only wear makeup when going out, and even then if my skin is fine (which it normally is) I just fill in my eyebrows, put on some eyeliner, mascara and lipbalm.

starlotus

Post by starlotus » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:25 am

MissAnthropik wrote:If I know I am going out I tend to put make up on, if I think I will be staying in all day, even if people are coming round I tend not to. If I need to pop to the shops or something then I wouldn't put it on just for that.

I too have awful skin, and have a good foundation which leads most people to look at me quizzickly when I say I have bad skin. I know it looks fine with foundation on, but really it is bad without it and it makes me feel less confident. I know when I (rarely) have clear skin I feel a million times better.

I'm the same way. I tend to wear at least some minimal powder or something to make my skin (mine was mostly just scars from when I was younger but since I went off my BC it's gotten worse with breakouts) look a little better if I know I'm going to be going out of the house or have friends coming over. Logically I know it doesn't look that bad, but the non-logical part of my brain is horrified by my reflection. I don't get all done up with eye makeup and whathaveyou on a regular basis though. My "average" day is just some pressed powder and lip balm with spf.

By the same token, I love days I have to myself just chilling in my house and watching movies without anyone bothering me because I keep my skin clean and bare all day....my kitties love me no matter what I look like :D

starlotus

Post by starlotus » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:26 am

starlotus wrote:
MissAnthropik wrote:If I know I am going out I tend to put make up on, if I think I will be staying in all day, even if people are coming round I tend not to. If I need to pop to the shops or something then I wouldn't put it on just for that.

I'm the same way. I tend to wear at least some minimal powder or something to make my skin (mine was mostly just scars from when I was younger but since I went off my BC it's gotten worse with breakouts) look a little better if I know I'm going to be going out of the house or have friends coming over. Logically I know it doesn't look that bad, but the non-logical part of my brain is horrified by my reflection. I don't get all done up with eye makeup and whathaveyou on a regular basis though. My "average" day is just some pressed powder and lip balm with spf. And my powder has spf as well, so I tell myself that it serves a purpose beyond straight vanity as well.

By the same token, I love days I have to myself just chilling in my house and watching movies without anyone bothering me because I keep my skin clean and bare all day....my kitties love me no matter what I look like :D

LittlePinkFaery

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:11 am

all the time!

I usually put mascara on and eyebrow pencil for work and sometimes a little bronzer but I often I go to work with nothing on.

I have always been very fortunate and never needed foundation and I very rarely wear it.

But yeah, it is good to be able to feel you can leave the house as nature intended...saying that, I am having my eyelashes tinted today- never done that before- but being a red head makes mascara more essential!

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:32 am

littlepinkfaery wrote:I am having my eyelashes tinted today- never done that before-
I tint mine and, during the summer, that is pretty much the sum total of my make-up most days.

I only ever wear make-up if I have time to do it and I'm working that day. I never really liked the feel of make-up on my skin and I'm really funny about lipstick. Even now, my full face takes less than 5 minutes and hasn't changed from when I first started playing with make-up in my teens.

My man prefers me without make-up and i think I look older with it on. But mainly, I am too lazy. I love how make-up looks on other people though!
What, that? It's a spade.

Gracey xx
Formerly known as Woolhairhabbit

Pixie_Junk

Post by Pixie_Junk » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:42 am

MissAnthropik wrote: I think this question would be very different for me if I had clear skin.
This. It really, really annoys me when people comment with 'Why are you putting on make up? We're only going to the shop.' Um, yeah, we are, but I have acne and YOU DON'T. It not just spots with acne, it's really un-even skin tone and a lot of redness. Lush products have got mine the most under control it will ever be (and ever has been) but I still don't feel confident without a little make up on. It's the fact it takes you back to looking more or less how other people do without make up. People in general are not polite and will stare or comment. I just don't need my confidence knocked even more in that area. I feel horribly trapped by it but (and this may sound odd) I feel I don't get treated normally or like an adult when my skin is really bad. So go out without make up? No.

Saying this, for everday I only wear a little concealer (under eyes & dabbed over any spots), pencil in my eyebrows to define them a little, a SMALL AMOUNT of blush to brighten up my face and little nutural coloured eyeshadow just to make my eyes pop a little. The over all effect is very natural and I still get a lot of people think I'm not wearing make up.

Any of you who can look normal and natural without it are so, so lucky. :roll:
Thrillseeker, heartbreaker, shapeshifter

www.myspace.com/programmed_to_derail

LittlePinkFaery

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:50 am

I agree with you, I would never have a go at someone for wearing it! I know I am lucky (which makes up a wee bit for my other very unlucky medical issues!). I do soemtimes think that it is a shame when I see students of mine plastered with heavy make up, clogging up their skin when they don't need it!

Bomber

Post by Bomber » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:27 am

I have very clear skin and don't "need" foundation but I still wear it because I feel it gives a completely perfect base. I wear quite a lot of intricate eye make up as well, and in my personal opinion, it just doesn't look right without a good base.

LittlePinkFaery

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:06 pm

Bomber wrote:I have very clear skin and don't "need" foundation but I still wear it because I feel it gives a completely perfect base. I wear quite a lot of intricate eye make up as well, and in my personal opinion, it just doesn't look right without a good base.
you are right of course- if you are going full out on your eyes, you need some sort of a base :)

MissAnthropik

Post by MissAnthropik » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:32 pm

i agree too... if you are wearing full eye make up it looks better with a base, although when my skin was perfectly clear (when I took a wonder drug for a few months) and I was younger i just wore tinted moisturisers and translucent powder to get that base.

It is also true, IMO, that if you wear foundation you also need some other make up. Your skin just looks heavy if you wear foundation but no eye make-up
telling it like it is!

Return to “Make-up & Skin Stuff”