Silky Mit sandpaper hair removal! DIY

Nanou2

Silky Mit sandpaper hair removal! DIY

Post by Nanou2 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:57 pm

I used an epilator once and after that I started to get ingrown hairs on my legs :(
I tried exfoliating and different hair removing techniques and still kept getting ingrown hairs. Very gross. Then I remembered Silkymits!

They would remove the hair without going deeper than the top layer of skin and should stop ingrown hairs from forming.

They are basically a loop of fine sandpaper that you use to remove hair. You put your hand in the loop and rub the paper in a circle motion on your leg, the hair is exfoliated off and your leg is left smooth, soft and totally hair free.

This is what they look like
http://www.google.ca/images?hl=en&clien ... 80&bih=620

Anyway. The silkymit packs cost $3-4 for 3 small loops, which is enough for 1 use on both legs.

I decided to make my own. I found 600grit sandpaper is a perfect match for silkymit.

It was 5sheets of paper for $4 I cut them in half and taped them into loops. I got 10 big loops for the same price as the 3silkymits.

I used them and they work perfectly. Much cheaper and good if you get shaving rash or any other hair removing problems.

iamtheparty

Re: Silky Mit sandpaper hair removal! DIY

Post by iamtheparty » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:02 pm

I've tried these but they didn't do anything but irritate my skin :(
Birthdays was the worst days, now we sip champagne when we thirstay.....

http://www.facebook.com/forgottennegatives

Nanou2

Post by Nanou2 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:18 pm

iamtheparty wrote:I've tried these but they didn't do anything but irritate my skin :(
.. hmm Sensitive skin? They don't irritate me at all. I wash my legs afterwards and use shea butter to sooth them.

I tried using them on my underarms once... big mistake! It was like taking a cheese grater to them. Ouch.

Vex88

Post by Vex88 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:05 pm

Have never tried them. Sounds like an interesting tip though.
I usually go and get waxed or I shave :/ I know I shouldnt mix it up but I cant afford to get waxed all the time. Tis pricey. May give this a go.
Does it take quite a while to do?
Kirsty x
There's no place like 127.0.0.1.
---------------------------------------
Facebook
Etsy!
DysfunctionDesigns on Facebook
Artfire!

Nanou2

Post by Nanou2 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:18 pm

Vex88 wrote:Have never tried them. Sounds like an interesting tip though.
I usually go and get waxed or I shave :/ I know I shouldnt mix it up but I cant afford to get waxed all the time. Tis pricey. May give this a go.
Does it take quite a while to do?
It takes about 5minutes for each leg. I read online that you can also use water or oil whilst rubbing the paper on sandpaper. The sandpaper I bought can be used wet or dry, but I only used it dry. Maybe it would be less irritating if you used oil.

xalternmommyx

Post by xalternmommyx » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:35 pm

i tried them and they did nothing for me but make my skin even drier looking! :(

CherryLex

Post by CherryLex » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:06 pm

I've always wondered about those things but assumed they were just another hair removal gimmick. Thanks for the tips, I may have to give it a shot!
Invader blood marches through my veins like radio active rubber pants!
THE PANTS COMMAND ME!!!
Do not ignore my veins!

Lorny

Post by Lorny » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:57 pm

I used to have an electric one that worked a treat, though it did make me a bit sore for a day or so. I never moisturised back then though. I'll definitely be giving this a go!

Flick

Post by Flick » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:34 pm

The silky mits work wonders for me, I dont know why I never use them actually.. They are great for my sensitive skin (Im allergic to shaving cream, hair removal cream and wax so I just dont get rid of the hair, or I shave them under water) Thanks for the tip!

Dystopatica

Post by Dystopatica » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:38 pm

I tried these a few years ago and while they did remove the hair they also made my legs bright red, itchy and painful. I don't have remotely sensitive skin, in fact I can throw pretty much anything at it but these were really awful for me.
Monochrome Militia
Dystopatica.com

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:53 pm

Dystopatica wrote:I tried these a few years ago and while they did remove the hair they also made my legs bright red, itchy and painful. I don't have remotely sensitive skin, in fact I can throw pretty much anything at it but these were really awful for me.
Yeah, me too.

I get ingrown hairs, but aqua miriablis from lush is an AMAZING exfoliator.
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

Nixxiie

Post by Nixxiie » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:57 pm

I used to have a :

BaByliss 8790U Simply Smooth Hair Remover

I was younger back then and found it gave reallly bad burns but maybe that was just me

as for this mitt

I wanna try :D

kyandii

Post by kyandii » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:32 pm

If you use the mitts, your skin will be irritated. afterwards run the area with cool water and moisturise afterwards.
You are sandpapering your skin after all. Wax, shaving gels and razors have moisturisers and soothing properties built in, sandpaper doesn't. ;)

I love them and used to always use them (:

Kajablomst.

Post by Kajablomst. » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:46 pm

I don't think I will try them since I have very sensitive and try skin (My skin actually fall off if I don't take care of it) But I think it's a really good idea. Does it work like shaving and peeling in one, or am I mistaking?

Asia

Post by Asia » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:12 am

This is really interesting, Im gunna buy some sand paper tomorrow.
Thanks for the idea!

[Phexxie]

Post by [Phexxie] » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:45 am

i used these once, afterwards i was in so much pain i couldnt even touch my legs to moisturise them :(
i do have very sensitive skin though, and my legs are often very itchy and sore after shaving no matter how much i moisturise, so these are definitely not for the sensitive types!

Nanou2

Post by Nanou2 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:52 pm

Kajablomst. wrote: Does it work like shaving and peeling in one, or am I mistaking?
The paper exfoliates and turns the hair into powder. It doesn't pull or cut the hair.

Make sure you use 600grit sanding paper! I don't want anyone sanding the skin off their legs!

Wash your legs and moisturise afterwards.

Vex88

Post by Vex88 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:35 pm

I tried it and my legs felt smooth, until I put fragranced moisturiser on and then my legs stung like f**k >.<
Will try again..maybe not be so harsh this time, and use other moisturiser
Kirsty x
There's no place like 127.0.0.1.
---------------------------------------
Facebook
Etsy!
DysfunctionDesigns on Facebook
Artfire!

justapuppetonastring

Post by justapuppetonastring » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:35 pm

I use these when i wax my legs, becasue when you wax you still have tiny little stubbley bits that you cants ee but you can feel. By using these afterwards and throughout about 4 weeks your legs will stay lovely and smooth without shaving or anything for a whole month! Perfect when you go on yours hols =) xx

Mkatsi

Post by Mkatsi » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:55 pm

I got three for like 70p in savers a year or so ago. Also got bikini line ones. Didnt actually irritate as much as youd think either, though it wasnt really good enough to deal with the course hair.
As for legs, yeah good and smooth as long as I moisturise after, but anything more than stubble and the they dont work.

Nanou2

Post by Nanou2 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:19 pm

Just to let you know the thread was about making your own silky mits with the same grit sandpaper! In case you missed it ;)

I use the sandpaper on my legs about every 1-2weeks. I am trying to fix the ingrown hairs I seemed to get from an epilator a while ago.
Up to now it has been working a treat!! My legs look much better without shaving. The ingrown hairs have stopped :)

I find the sandpaper works perfectly fine on all hair length 1cm and below.

Return to “Make-up & Skin Stuff”