Foundation/concealer frustration

Miss_Panda

Foundation/concealer frustration

Post by Miss_Panda » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:42 pm

I absolutely cannot get a concealer or foundation to work for me, I have tried both mineral and liquid foundations and concealers but always end up with this cakey/powdery look :( I've always had this problem but recently it's really starting to bother me, i have also tried using my fingers and make-up sponges yet i still have the same outcome. I don't apply loads of foundation on either. The same problem occurs with concealer (i use mac studio finish) i have some little lines under my eyes and the concealer seem to collect in them after a few hours after I've applied it not sure why, it looks ok when i first apply it it's just after the few hours have past i notice it.
What could i be doing wrong or is the make-up I'm using not suitable for me?

I have dry skin but if using a oil based foundation i break out in spots so i still want an oil free foundation both one mineral and a liquid one. I use a kabuki brush to apply mineral foundation, and a foundation brush for liquid and concealer brush and a oil free moisturizer for my base as i found primers made me break out too -_- Help me please.

EDIT to as: can you get oil free primers? and if i use a primer is it ok to you an oil free moisturizer as well?

make-up i've tried
ELF
Urban decay
Jarde
Loreal

Concealer
MAC
Rimmel
ELF
collection 2000
Last edited by Miss_Panda on Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Miss Panda - Paint The World In Neon Colours

The Black and White Army = Panda "Salute me Solider"

ScarletLady

Re: Foundation/concealer frustration

Post by ScarletLady » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:03 pm

May be a silly question but have you tried a primer? You don't mention it
scarlet's taking over the asylum aka ladypanel

* Queen of Tangents*

Miss_Panda

Post by Miss_Panda » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:12 pm

ScarletLady wrote:May be a silly question but have you tried a primer? You don't mention it
I did hun ^^

'moisturizer for my base as i found primers made me break out too -_- ' (near the end)
I have tried GOSH primer, that's what made me break out.

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:17 pm

I have the GOSH powder, it's velvety & yummy!!

My current foundation is REVLON beyond natural.......it goes on white & blends with your skin tone. It's really nice & I think a decent price (£10 from boots)

What about a tinted moisturiser with a bit of powder over it??

Um, have you tried Dr Feelgood by Benefit.......THAT is lovley!! ^_^
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

Miss_Panda

Post by Miss_Panda » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:34 pm

DreadstarMonstar wrote:I have the GOSH powder, it's velvety & yummy!!

My current foundation is REVLON beyond natural.......it goes on white & blends with your skin tone. It's really nice & I think a decent price (£10 from boots)

What about a tinted moisturiser with a bit of powder over it??

Um, have you tried Dr Feelgood by Benefit.......THAT is lovley!! ^_^
Not heard of that revlon one, going to have a look online. So what ever colour my skin is it will adapt to my skin tone? looked on boots online it says it goes on white, so why is there shades to choose from ?

Not tried a tinted moisturizer as i wasn't sure what sort of coverage they provide as i do have some red blemishes on my face.

Dr Feelgood by Benefit - not tried this yet is that a foundation?

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:55 pm

IDK, but it seems to blend well for me. I guess it's something to do with how they make it..it's seems to be heat reactive.

Dr Feelgood isn't a foundation, it's um, a balm that feels like a powder. You could always try a green coverage, that'll get rid of red marks. I have GOSH version, but 17 from boots is a good one too. it works! ^_^ I got a free sample of Olay tinted moisturiser, it was a tiny bit too dark for my skin....but people just asked if I'd been out in the sun.............they're nice & light on the skin, so thought may be another route for you to try?

links:
http://www.salonskincare.co.uk/product_ ... 2Aod8yK23w
http://www.gosh.dk/Default.html#/Defaul ... D=cosfac10
http://www.olay.co.uk/product-range/tot ... th_spf.php
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

Miss_Panda

Post by Miss_Panda » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:35 am

On the Dr feel good there's mix reviews :( saying it goes crusty or something all falls of the face 0_0 It's £20 so unsure.

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:31 am

Miss_Panda wrote:
ScarletLady wrote:May be a silly question but have you tried a primer? You don't mention it
I did hun ^^

'moisturizer for my base as i found primers made me break out too -_- ' (near the end)
:?

Sorry, my reading skills aren't what they used to be :roll:

Try Lanacane as a primer - it's awesome and rather cheap too ;)

* Queen of Tangents*

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:52 am

Miss_Panda wrote:On the Dr feel good there's mix reviews :( saying it goes crusty or something all falls of the face 0_0 It's £20 so unsure.

mine never went crusty. I found it on eBay yesterday for £4 or £5 too.

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

Miss_Panda

Post by Miss_Panda » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:25 pm

ScarletLady wrote:
Miss_Panda wrote:
I did hun ^^

:?

Sorry, my reading skills aren't what they used to be :roll:

Try Lanacane as a primer - it's awesome and rather cheap too ;)
Never knew about that, will give it ago.
DreadstarMonstar wrote:
Miss_Panda wrote:On the Dr feel good there's mix reviews :( saying it goes crusty or something all falls of the face 0_0 It's £20 so unsure.

mine never went crusty. I found it on eBay yesterday for £4 or £5 too.
will look on Ebay ^^
I use their liquid eyeliner! but i can't see a list of ingredients and i was hoping for an oil free foundation. I dunno if this is oil free?

Lorny

Post by Lorny » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:00 pm

Dr Feelgood only goes crusty when you keep the sponge directly on top of the balm. If you keep the greaseproof paper on top it's fine.

Miss_Panda

Post by Miss_Panda » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:19 pm

Lorny wrote:Dr Feelgood only goes crusty when you keep the sponge directly on top of the balm. If you keep the greaseproof paper on top it's fine.
thank you :)
PrettyDreadful wrote:
Miss_Panda wrote: I use their liquid eyeliner! but i can't see a list of ingredients and i was hoping for an oil free foundation. I dunno if this is oil free?

Foundation :
Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide (4%), Zinc Oxide (2.1%)

Inactive Ingredients: Aqua (water, eau), Cyclomethicone, Dimethicone, Butylene Glycol, Talc, PEG/PPG 18/18 Dimethicone, HDI/Trimethol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Cetyl/PEG/PPG 10/1 Dimethicone, Nylon 12, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Alumina, Sodium Chloride, Tocopheryl Acetate, Retinyl Palmitate, Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) Leaf Juice, Sodium Hyaluronate, Trisiloxane, Glycerin, Hydrolyzed Glycosaminoglycans, Vitis Vinifera Seed Extract (grape), Centaurea Cyanus (Cornflower) Flower Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Panax Ginseng Root Extract, Ginkgo Biloba Leaf Extract, Moringa Pterygosperma Seed Extract, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Galactoarabinan, Acrylonitrile/Methacrylonitrile/Methyl Methacrylate Copolymer, Boron Nitrate, Alcohol Denatured, Methicone, Tribehenin, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Silica, Ammonium Polyacrylatedimethyl Taurate, Tetrasodium EDTA, PVP, Polysorbate 20, Polysorbate 80, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, May Contain (+/-): Titanium Dioxide (CI77891), Iron Oxides (CI77491, CI77492, CI77499), Zinc Oxide (CI77947)

Concealer :
Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide (4.0%), Zinc Oxide (2.0%)

Inactive Ingredients: Aqua (Water, Eau), Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Butylene Glycol, Trisiloxane, Cetyl/PEG/PPG 10/1 Dimethicone, Alcohol Denatured, Phenyltrimethicone, Nylon 12, Tribehenin, HDI/Trimethylol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Sodium Chloride, Cyclohexasiloxane, PEG/PPG 18/18 Dimethicone, Alumina, Boron Nitride, Galactoarabinan, Tocopheryl Acetate, Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) Leaf Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate, Vitis Vinifera Seed Extract (Grape), Centaurea Cyanus (Cornflower) Flower Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Panax Ginseng Root Extract, Ginkgo Biloba Leaf Extract, Hydrolyzed Glycosaminoglycans, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Silica, Methicone, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Ammonium Polyacrylatedimethyl Taurate, Cycloheptasiloxane, Acrylonitrile/Methacrylonitrile/Methyl Methacrylate Copolymer, Polysorbate 20, Polysorbate 80, Talc, Tetrasodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Mica, Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499)

:)
Thanks were did you find the ingredients? i couldn't see it on the website

VixenSingsBlack

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:44 pm

This primer is oil free. I believe it is silicone based. It makes your face feel like VELVET. Powder glides over your face when you put it on. It's totally lovely. Older ladies like it because it keeps powders from settling in small lines.

Ingredients; ACTIVE INGREDIENTS: 7.5% Octinoxate (Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate), 5.0% Octisalate (Ethylhexyl Salicylate). INGREDIENTS: Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Ethyl Perfluoroisobutyl Ether, Ethyl Perfluorobutyl Ether, Diethylamino Hydroxybenzoyl Hexylbenzoate, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Tribehenin, Ceramide 2, PEG-10 Rapeseed Sterol, Palmitoyl Oligopeptide, Ethyl Trisiloxane, Silica, Caprylyl Methicone, Phenoxyethanol, Isopropylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Butylparaben, Tocopheryl Acetate, Safflower Seed Oil, Cola Acuminata Seed Extract, Propylene Glycol, Water, Camellia Oleifera Leaf Extract, Grape Seed Extract, Retinyl Palmitate, Dimethicone, Methicone, Silica Silylate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides

Miss_Panda

Post by Miss_Panda » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:18 pm

Miss_Panda

Post by Miss_Panda » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:52 pm

nooo Sephora won't send to the UK, unhappy now..damit is there any websites any one noes of that is like Sephora?

VixenSingsBlack

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:46 am

Well it's Smashbox Photo Finish primer. I think it should be on eBay and so forth. Smashbox is just a brand, but it's not owned by Sephora.

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:30 am

Smashbox is easy to find on ebay - my urban decay primer potion supplier sells loads of it. I'll see if she stocks the primer and send you a link

* Queen of Tangents*

Miss_Panda

Post by Miss_Panda » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:07 am

Thank you ^^

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:48 pm

I just bought some of that Smashbox primer on ebay, having seen it in this thread.

I can't wait to try it; i'm newly converted to primer, it makes all the things I dislike about make-up disappear. Especially that shiny, greasy, sliding face feeling.

Thanks for posting that VixenSingsBlack :D
What, that? It's a spade.

Gracey xx
Formerly known as Woolhairhabbit

Miss_Panda

Post by Miss_Panda » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:20 am

woolhairhabit wrote:I just bought some of that Smashbox primer on ebay, having seen it in this thread.

I can't wait to try it; i'm newly converted to primer, it makes all the things I dislike about make-up disappear. Especially that shiny, greasy, sliding face feeling.

Thanks for posting that VixenSingsBlack :D
yes the primer has made a difference especially around my eyes were concealer would sit in the little lines or look super obvious i had it on

hellcity

Post by hellcity » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:28 am

FWIW, I always have a tough time with base stuff as well. Then I watched the base 101 tutorial on here - http://www.misschievous.tv/ and found it reeeeeeeeeeally helpful. I now have a 'Ben Nye total cover all wheel' - http://www.makeupalley.com/product/show ... mID=120765 and it's ACE. Her tutorial is on YouTube and I swear, it's awesome. So are a bunch of her other tutes as well :)

ETA: Oh and I *adore* my Besame compact. Well I did before my daughter dumped it in the bath. FML. It's really silky and lovely.
I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, evil stuff... and I want in. - Homer Simpson

blog + violet.crime design facebook + personal facebook

Return to “Make-up & Skin Stuff”