Alternative to foundation

Ice_Pick_Abortions

Alternative to foundation

Post by Ice_Pick_Abortions » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:30 am

Righto, I'm off to Florida in just under 2 weeks and I'm not really loving the idea of wearing foundation in such high humidity, general heat and chances are I'll be in and out of water quite a lot.

Can anyone recommend something different, like a tinted moisturiser, that would help even out skin tone but not be as heavy as proper foundation?

Ta!
"I have had many troubles, most of which never happened." - Mark Twain
"Let us not love with words or tongue, but with actions and in truth."

In the ranks of the Indecisive Army..

Phoenix

Re: Alternative to foundation

Post by Phoenix » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:33 am

I was reccomended to use MACs Select Cover up mixed with moisturiser. It's working quite nicely, really light and it doesn't feel greasy but you have the ability to build up colour in areas you need it.

Bomber

Post by Bomber » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:43 pm

I was given a sample of the Lush colour supplement, you use a very tiny amount with your moisturiser and it gives an even colour all over without being heavy like foundation.

Miss Liberty

Post by Miss Liberty » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:52 pm

in and out of the water is a tough one. I don't know of anything that will stay on great in those conditions. But, for situations other than that it really isn't ALL that bad. I use foundation every day, and touch up with powder once in a while. If you are doing theme parks and such in the heat, don't worry. Everyone looks less than their greatest in those situations. I just slap my makeup on and hope for the best!

I would worry more about a good sun screen. I begin to burn here in about 15 minutes without it. Some foundations have an SPF in them. I would go with one of those. :) Spray sun screens are great for getting areas like your scalp, ears, and hard to reach places.

Where will you be going in FL? It is a humid mess here throughout, but some areas on the coast are a bit less humid than where I live in Central FL. Hopefully it will cool off a tiny bit for you by then as well. Hard to say though. It has been one hell of a summer!

Ice_Pick_Abortions

Post by Ice_Pick_Abortions » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:38 pm

I wouldn't be wearing it every day, I don't even do that normally, but I imagine we'll be going out a fair bit in the evenings and I'd just like something that doesn't feel like it's sliding off my face lol. I'll be slapping on the factor 50 during the day :D

We're in Kissimmee for the first week to do the theme parks and then moving down to St Pete's for the second. Words cannot express how much I am looking forward to this holiday :mrgreen:

CherryLex

Post by CherryLex » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:18 pm

I just spent a week at the beach in St Pete, it was awseome! The water was really warm though, like bathwater and it was pretty great!
I honestly rarely wear foundation around here, only on Saturday nights when we go out or if there's some sort of special occasion. I do like to use a liquid to powder foundation though, like MAC's Studio Fix, since it's more sheer than liquid foundation and has powder built in so you're not layering on a ton of product.
Enjoy your vacation!
Invader blood marches through my veins like radio active rubber pants!
THE PANTS COMMAND ME!!!
Do not ignore my veins!

Miss Liberty

Post by Miss Liberty » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:46 pm

Kissimmee is pretty much in my backyard. :) It will be hot and humid during the day. However, it could be better at night. The afternoon rains usually cool things off a tad and expel some humidity. You MAY get rained on mid day, so you may want to think about taking an umbrella. Last night was even pleasant enough for my husband and I to have dinner outside.

If you are going to be at Downtown Disney at all, I would recommend the T-Rex Adventure Cafe. I was just there for the first time with my family last month and was blown away. I had never really seen a restaurant that themed out. There are some videos of it on Youtube. I am a dinosaur geek though :i9:

pixychick

Post by pixychick » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:53 am

I don't wear makeup very much or any foundation at all so I can't help you so I'm sorry.
But I most highly recommend that you check out Cirque Du Soleil's,"La Nouba" on Disney's Boardwalk http://www.cirquedusoleil.com/en/shows/ ... fault.aspx
It's a little pricey but so very worth it I can't even explain. It was my very first Cirque du Soleil show and I was hooked.
I hope you have a great time!

tazzyface

Post by tazzyface » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:54 am

I tend to just wear Fyrinnae's finishing powder (I think "fluff" is the one I've got) to stop shine. It's translucent but helps to even up your skin tone and fill in pores.
More human than human

Ice_Pick_Abortions

Post by Ice_Pick_Abortions » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:27 pm

I don't have time to order new stuff so I guess I'll just leave it. It'll save me packing space cos it'll just start a chain reaction off "if I bring that, I'll have to bring this and this looks really good with that and I'll need that to line this.." and before I know it I'll have my entire collection packed :roll:

Thanks for the suggestions! I think we'll be doing the Downtown Disney thing so I'll keep an eye out for that restaurant and will also bring an umbrella :D
CherryLex wrote:I just spent a week at the beach in St Pete, it was awseome! The water was really warm though, like bathwater and it was pretty great!
That sounds a bit freaky but it will be a nice change to be able to keep my face underwater to snorkel longer than 5 seconds ha ha.

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:47 pm

I have an olay "complete" tinted moisturiser....it's very nice & light. I also have a bourjois complexion thing but can't find it on the net, so that's no good :lol: otherwise benefit's DR FEELGOOD is very nice, I wore this a lot instead of foundation. it makes your skin feel absolutely amazing

http://www.boots.com/en/Benefit-Dr.-Fee ... 20Feelgood
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

Nanou2

Post by Nanou2 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:38 pm

I have Dr Feelgood too. I find you can't use too much because it seems to make your skin look too dry. I dunno.. I didn't like it much.

Neutrogena Helioplex SPF moisturiser Is amazing -
http://www.neutrogena.ca/en/getProduct. ... &display=0

I bought mine from wallmart. It kept my normally greasy face silky dry 8+hours and it gets pretty hot and humid here, 36+degrees. Plus It comes with high spf.

It's perfect under makeup and acts just like a primer making my pores much less noticeable, keeping my make up stay put looking fresh all day. I don't think I will use another moisturiser under my make up again!

Dystopatica

Post by Dystopatica » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:41 pm

I can recommend Urban Decay tinted moisturiser, I've stopped wearing foundation on a daily basis thanks to this little beauty. Trust me, a year ago that idea would not have even occured to me.

It's probably cheaper to buy in the States though.
Monochrome Militia
Dystopatica.com

Pallidity

Post by Pallidity » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:36 am

I skipped reading all of the replies, so I may be playing a broken record but bear with me.

I took a job over the summer that was outside 99.9% of the time. Our temps/humidity over the summer are comparable (sometimes a little better, sometimes a little worse) to FL's. I stopped wearing foundation or bothering with anything that was tinted after a few days. Nothing stayed on my face. I found that just slapping on some moisturizer and powder (along with a little bit of concealer) was the limit. For the most part my face still ended up being pretty clammy within an hour or two. The upside was that within a week of wearing only moisturizer and powder I saw an instant improvement. The humidity and higher temperatures seemed to be very helpful to my skin and my complexion cleared up super quick. I haven't worn foundation or tinted moisturizer since and my face has continued to improve, but nothing like it did while I was out in the heat and humidity. Might be something worth considering.

Edit- I also noticed that someone mentioned sunscreen. Definitely make sure you do something in the way of sun protection. Every time I've been to FL I've burned unless I've worn tons of protection. I prefer Olay's Complete moisturizer with SPF in it. Not greasy, not stinky, doesn't make my skin break out, great moisturizer for general use, lasts forever (I could go on and on =P)

Return to “Make-up & Skin Stuff”