Strange skin query

Flick

Strange skin query

Post by Flick » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:31 am

This is going to be difficult for me to describe but oh well. Ok, normally I have awesome skin, gets complimented on by random friends of my mother, behaves nicely in summer, drys out a little in winter, but generally just a-ok. Maybe a few spots around that time of the month, but nothing I cant handle. However, with an exceptionally cold winter (it seems) my skin has been drying out more than normal. Its pretty sensitive, so I usually moisturize once every couple of days when it gets reallly dry with bio-oil. Its awesome, always has been, evens out my skin tone, moisturizes, and does its job. Im allergic to something in regular moisturizer.. I cant use dove, palmers, anything that is a creamy moisturizer as it irritates my already dry skin no end, and I end up with flaky, sometimes bleeding, scabby skin. With this really cold winter (I assume thats the issue? I see no other reason for my skin to suddenly decide it doesnt want any moisture.. I drink lots of water etc.. my hairs really dry too at the moment if that helps) Ive had to moisturize a little more regularly otherwise my skin starts flaking. Now Im not sure if its the extra oil Im adding to my skin, or what, but Ive started breaking out. So, Ive got spots, but then my skin is *still* dry and flaking.. to the point of painful. If I dont do anything about the spots well I have awful spotty skin, which can be quite painful in itself, but if I dont moisturize my skin is painful and flaky and dry.. which on top of the spots is even worse. This isnt only my face mind you, although thats the worst. Its my decolletage, shoulders and back. Help?

Librarynerd

Re: Strange skin query

Post by Librarynerd » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:44 am

You might try asking your Doctor or a Dermatologist. It could be something completely unrelated to what you are putting on your skin. Allergies to foods/other things, vitamin deficiency, hormonal changes, all kinds of things could be effecting your skin. Can't hurt to ask a Doc:)
http://www.etsy.com/shop/jeanween23

XXXX I used to be disgusted. Now I try to be amused. XXXX

Lorny

Post by Lorny » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:28 pm

Have you tried Aqeous cream? That is what people with eczema use and it is brilliant stuff. If your hair is suddenly dry too and you think it is related then it is unlikely to be a hormone thing as only hair from the root area would be affected. You could be getting spots due to not exfoliting enough so you should use a flannel or something gentle like that to get rid of dead skin. Over the past year I've had really bad (b)ac(k)ne, and I didn't know what the hell to do. Two months ago I started using Clean n Clear deep cleansing toner lotion and apart from the scarry bits my back is near enough totally clear. I get the odd spot here and there but I always make sure to use this stuff every couple of nights on my back and twice a day on my face. I swear by this stuff now!

I do agree you should see your doctor for any other causes you can't see though if all else fails.

Flick

Post by Flick » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:11 am

Just went and saw the doc right now. He reckons its just stress.. So, all to do over nothing, although Im still not sure how to fix it. Think I need to take up boxing or something. :) Thanks guys.

Flick

Post by Flick » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:54 am

I wish. I live in a country town. I have been interested in Roller Derby since .. well I first heard of it. Upon googling it though, the closest team is about 7 hours away. :( Maybe Ill take up rollerskating anyway, in time for when I move somewhere with a team. :D

Pallidity

Post by Pallidity » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:39 am

If you end up wanting to try a drug store moisturizer, almost all of my friends/family (and I) use Olay Complete. I have used it for years and have loved it. Aside from the odd period-related breakout my skin is never super oily, nor super dry. There's about a week in the winter where I apply it twice before putting on makeup because my skin is so dry, but it's never made my face angry to do so.

Also, if you haven't tried St. Ives Apricot Scrub or Clean and Clear's Deep Action Exfoliating Scrub, I've had good luck with both whenever I have dry skin. :)

Flick

Post by Flick » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:11 pm

Thanks Pallidity. My skin is starting to behave again now, after how ever long, but I think Ill look into the moisturiser anyway.. Ive always kinda leaned towards having dry skin, its just that most moisturisers just react so badly! I react to St Ives... it irritates my skin no end. I use the sensitive one on my body sometimes, I get blackheads and stuff on my chest and shoulders, but I just cant use it on my face.. Ah well. I will check out Olay complete though.

skullgrl

Post by skullgrl » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:23 pm

I'm no doctor but it could be mild psoriasis. My Mom and I get it when we're stressed and/or as a reaction to certain over the counter pain killers. (I can never remember if its ibuprofen or acedaminifin.) My skin gets like that every so often. Just a thought. :)
Skullgrl.com
Art, Dolls, Gaming, Life

Return to “Make-up & Skin Stuff”