Finding the right foundation - tips?

NaturalistDesigns

Finding the right foundation - tips?

Post by NaturalistDesigns » Wed May 05, 2010 9:33 pm

Okay, I genuinely do not have time to jump into shops and test on my jaw line.

So. At the moment my skin is having a bit of tantrum at me. I have combination skin that is really dry on my nose (just by my glasses) and under my eyes; but have a seriously oily forehead and chin/

Now I'm trying to find an affordable foundation, that I can either buy in a shop I have locally (eg Boots, Superdrug) or via very good internet sites.

Also, what is your prefered tool to apply said make up?

:)

Ice_Pick_Abortions

Re: Finding the right foundation - tips?

Post by Ice_Pick_Abortions » Wed May 05, 2010 9:42 pm

Can't really help in the fiding the right one as I would always suggest testing them and looking at them in natural light!

For applying it, I prefer to use a brush like this for liquid and a kabuki brush for powder.
"I have had many troubles, most of which never happened." - Mark Twain
"Let us not love with words or tongue, but with actions and in truth."

In the ranks of the Indecisive Army..

starlotus

Post by starlotus » Wed May 05, 2010 11:08 pm

I recommend meowcosmetics.com It's the only makeup I've ever found that could match my extremely fair with golden/peach undertone skin. I ordered probably 30 samples and tried them all to find the perfect color. I get tons of compliments on my skin now.

Miss_Panda

Post by Miss_Panda » Thu May 06, 2010 7:18 am

As said go into a store and get matched, Boots will help you do that :D
and i use one of them foundation brushes from crown from the Luna range
http://www.crownbrush.co.uk/shop/brush- ... ation.html
works really well and makes it much easier to apply. I always use a moisturizer underneath my make-up anyway i find it helps the foundation go on easier. The moisturizer i use is in the Boots organic range and they have one for combination skin I'm sure, and they do work especially on my sensitive skin! best moisturizer i have used :D
Hope that helps ?
x
Miss Panda - Paint The World In Neon Colours

The Black and White Army = Panda "Salute me Solider"

iamtheparty

Post by iamtheparty » Thu May 06, 2010 8:10 am

What I've learned about foundation is that you tend to get what you pay for. The more expensive ones I've had have always been far better than the cheaper ones. Having said that, when I had angry, miserable skin, the best one I found in the more affordable ranges was Bourjois Sleep Effect.

If you're looking to fix your skin up, you're better off getting the skincare right rather than foundation.

At the moment I apply foundation with clean fingers. I'm too lazy/forgetful to wash my foundation brush often enough :?
Last edited by iamtheparty on Sun May 09, 2010 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Birthdays was the worst days, now we sip champagne when we thirstay.....

http://www.facebook.com/forgottennegatives

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Thu May 06, 2010 10:10 am

Ice_Pick_Abortions wrote:Can't really help in the fiding the right one as I would always suggest testing them and looking at them in natural light!

For applying it, I prefer to use a brush like this for liquid and a kabuki brush for powder.
I never got on with those sorts of brushes - I always find my foundation goes streaky and caked on with them. I use a 187 MAC (well it's an ebay fake but it's yet to let me down and only cost me £3) as it sort of fluffs the foundation on and you can get away with using a lot less

I'd highly recommend going and getting it put on in a shop...then leave and wear it for the day. You get to see how it lasts, how it looks in all sorts of light and how it feels on your skin. It's what I did before I settled on my foundation and I wouldn't change it for the world now. Plus it really is worth spending a bit on it!!
scarlet's taking over the asylum aka ladypanel

* Queen of Tangents*

Nanou2

Post by Nanou2 » Thu May 06, 2010 3:01 pm

What face fash do you use?

I used to get dry skin around my nose and oily forhead too. I started using St Ives face scrub and my skin is always even now.

Lorny

Post by Lorny » Thu May 06, 2010 6:41 pm

No matter what foundation I use, I always get a horrible slick forehead, nose and chin. I always blot the excess off, but when I used to use cheap foundation it would leave me patchy. I use either Estee Lauder or MAC now, and apply it with a sponge. I always use a primer these days too for my massive pores.

I tried brushes before but I always ended up using too much cuz I couldn't get the technique right. I use one pump of foundation on my sponge, and it lasts me alllllll day, even with blotting.

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Fri May 07, 2010 12:50 pm

I use one pump from a MAC foundation and it's the perfect amount. I could never get on with sponges at all either, in fact Ionly ever used to use clean fingers before I discovered the 187 brush - now I can't live without it
scarlet's taking over the asylum aka ladypanel

* Queen of Tangents*

NaturalistDesigns

Post by NaturalistDesigns » Sun May 09, 2010 9:15 pm

Heyy girlies. Just to update. I brought some Maybelline DreamMatte Mousse yesterday, and I'm so far loving it!

It's sitting really nice, and leaves my skin feeling really soft!

Pallidity

Post by Pallidity » Wed May 12, 2010 6:10 am

I really liked that stuff ^ I just wish they made it in my shade!

If you decide to go back to a liquid foundation you might check out Coastal Scents. I haven't been too unhappy with theirs. It isn't fantastic, but not terrible either.

NaturalistDesigns

Post by NaturalistDesigns » Wed May 12, 2010 2:17 pm

I'll have a mooch at that aswell, thank you Pallidity! :)

Return to “Make-up & Skin Stuff”