Good (affordable) exfoliater for flaky skin?

WalksWithStrangers

Good (affordable) exfoliater for flaky skin?

Post by WalksWithStrangers » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:39 pm

Hai guiz!
A bit of a plea for help here, i suffer from dry patches and very flaky skin. It has gotten a lot better since I switched my cleanser + moisturiser to Lush products (Ultrabland and Celestial) but I still have problems to the point where, it's incredibly difficult to put make up on because, although for the most part it's a lot better I still have patches of very flaky skin (my nose is the worst!)
I've been told what I need to do is exfoliate to get rid of all my dead skin and blahdyblah, but the only time I ever did it just made my skin dry to the point it actually hurt, however I was using an incredibly cheap exfoliator :P
So, what I wanted to ask was, is there a decent exfoliator around that wont make my face all dry and tight? If any of you used to have the same issue, what worked for you?
I don't mind paying a bit more for this, especially if the product will last me awhile, but nothing too expensive please, and I am in the UK :D
Thank you lovely peoples in advance x.
Texas Chainsaw Teletubby: Po!

MrsEss

Re: Good (affordable) exfoliater for flaky skin?

Post by MrsEss » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:41 pm

St Ives apricot scrub is lovely! they do it in various skin types too. I bought a small travel size one & it lasted me a month, so the full size one will last aaaaages, plus you can use it on your body.
linky
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

Spooki

Post by Spooki » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:39 pm

a wash cloth.

works well for me at least, i find most exfoliators don't have enough grit to get the job done. my skin gets down right scaly between my eyebrows and on my temples.

WalksWithStrangers

Post by WalksWithStrangers » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:38 am

That St Ives stuff looks nice, I'll have a nosey around Boots tomorrow :)
And Spooki, alas, I do use a washcloth ;)
Thank you for the suggestion though :D xx

ShadowThrone

Post by ShadowThrone » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:22 am

The apricot stuff is nice! You could try Dark Angels by Lush as you already use Lush products, it is quite 'scrubby' though, but its never dried my skin out :)

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:39 am

DreadstarMonstar wrote:St Ives apricot scrub is lovely! they do it in various skin types too. I bought a small travel size one & it lasted me a month, so the full size one will last aaaaages, plus you can use it on your body.
linky
I was going to suggest this as well - it's great stuff and they have lots of different ones if the invigorating one is too harsh on your skin (it's a hardcore scrub so if your skin is very sensitive you may want to try one of the gentler ones)

It is brilliant tho - and very cheap!
scarlet's taking over the asylum aka ladypanel

* Queen of Tangents*

Nanou2

Post by Nanou2 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:59 pm

I get a patch of flakey skin at at the top of my laugh lines near my nose.

I use St Ives apricot scrub with a washcloth. I started to use an eczema cream on my face and on the area of dry skin before bed. I put a good couple of layers on and in the morning I have no dry skin at all! My make up sits perfectly and no flakey spots.

If I don`t use the cream for a few days the flakeyness comes back.

Maybe you should give a eczema cream a go!

I used to scrub the skin so hard to try and get it off and it would become sore and sensitive to touch. The cream fixed everything ! :)

Tainted

Post by Tainted » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:06 pm

I've used the St Ives stuff for years now and love it but my store was recently sold out so I bought some Aapri face scrub from Boots and I LOVE it.
http://www.echemist.co.uk/p-aapri-origi ... rics=gprod

I would noramlly use the Blemish St Ives scrub which is more rough than the one for normal skin, this new one I bought is even better. My face feel so smooth after using it, I'm totally converted now. :)

faticeira

Post by faticeira » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:04 pm

Inecto coconut oil scrub. It's brilliant. You can find it in Savers (if you are in UK, sorry didn't look).

CancerHybrid

Post by CancerHybrid » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:36 pm

St Ives apricot scrub - love this stuff, it works great
*Manda*

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:45 pm

Tainted wrote:I've used the St Ives stuff for years now and love it but my store was recently sold out so I bought some Aapri face scrub from Boots and I LOVE it.
http://www.echemist.co.uk/p-aapri-origi ... rics=gprod

I would noramlly use the Blemish St Ives scrub which is more rough than the one for normal skin, this new one I bought is even better. My face feel so smooth after using it, I'm totally converted now. :)
I've used Aapri before acutally - I'd completely forgotten about it as nowhere near me stocks it - it's really good and smells lovely too!
scarlet's taking over the asylum aka ladypanel

* Queen of Tangents*

Pallidity

Post by Pallidity » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:12 am

I was going to suggest the Apricot Scrub as well! I tend to use the store brand (from wherever I'm at) unless St Ives is on sale and they all work comparably well. I'd also like to suggest Angels on Bare Skin if you're wanting more Lush. I really liked that stuff and found it left my skin feeling smoother and less dry than most other products I've used. If you're looking for something refreshing, Clean N Clear makes an exfoliator that's got a major minty kick to it and does the trick to slamming your pores shut. :D

jennytree

Post by jennytree » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:35 pm

I got the Superdrug Tea Tree scrub a while back and I love it, find it very good at getting rid of flakes on my face.
I can't get a bloody avatar to fit!

iamdolleyes

Post by iamdolleyes » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:10 pm

you know..no one ever suggests sea salt

I like to buy fine sea salt...you can mix it with cleanser, or a nice oil (something like olive squaline, or grapeseed) or a bit of water and tea tree oil...or whatever you like depending on your skin type..or even just dampen your skin, apply cleanser, then rub a bit of fine sea salt in lightly

the nice thing about this is that it will dissolve with the water so you do not end up over exfoliating like you can with something like ground shells/nuts or what have you

if you find the sea salt a bit too drying, you can use sugar instead. salt and sugar scrubs are very common and way less messy than other types of granules, it's nice to not have to clean out grit from the tub/sink all the time

are you taking medication that is making your skin so flaky? do you drink enough water? (or eat enough fresh food to get the water content)
i really really like olive squaline oil for the flakyness...you can put a drop of it into your moisturizer and it really really helps. jojoba can work too, but it can clog some people's pores (its very close to sebum) so i prefer the olive

good luck!
i like my coffee black
just like my metal

Love Bunny

Post by Love Bunny » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:10 am

There was a gorgeous skincare range in the pound shop !!! OF ALL PLACES! Its called "be fine"

And I got like 10 different things for a tenner and they are all lovely and smell amazing! From face masks to cleansers, toners and exfoliaters!

ANYWAY! The one I was going to suggest if one near you ever stocks it is a sugar scrub they do, its coarse because of the sugar but the actual cleanser is really mild so it doesnt burn your face off like most scrubs do!

For a quid you can't really go wrong :lol: xx
~Jess ♥

International Secret Sweet & Savoury Swap! Sign Up HERE!

WalksWithStrangers

Post by WalksWithStrangers » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:58 pm

You know we just had a massive 99p shop open near me so next time I'm in there I shall have a gander! I was well pleased, they do my yummy peach-smelling Schwarzkopf shampoo I normally buy at boots for 2.99 for 99p! Wicked!

To everyone else, thank you for the suggestions, I did buy some St.Ives and I'm so far fairly pleased with it :D x.

miss_mortisha

Post by miss_mortisha » Fri May 28, 2010 7:36 pm

DreadstarMonstar wrote:St Ives apricot scrub is lovely! they do it in various skin types too. I bought a small travel size one & it lasted me a month, so the full size one will last aaaaages, plus you can use it on your body.
linky
Agreed, this is the best one i have found :)
"never be afraid to reach for the sky, for if you fall, you'll land among the stars"
Mummy to Alyssia Teia Hope - 17th Jan 2010

Stilldawn

Post by Stilldawn » Sat May 29, 2010 8:46 pm

Lemon juice and sugar. Mix together and put on a facial cleansing pad and scrub, it lightens any skin spots, sun spots, freckles, acne scars, and exfoliates and softens aswell as kills bacteria. I LOVE it

Return to “Make-up & Skin Stuff”